Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Bird
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
NotARepublican55
Oh God who writes this crap? "Main protagonist"? WTF? And since when is "singing the alphabet as one long word" part of a "wide array of talents"? confused.gif
---

Big Bird is the main protagonist of the children's television show Sesame Street which airs on PBS. Big Bird, like many of the other Sesame Street characters, is a Muppet character. He is sometimes referred to simply as "Bird" by his friends.[2]

Officially performed by Caroll Spinney since 1969, he is an eight-foot two-inch tall bright yellow bird.[3] He can roller skate, ice skate, dance, sing, write poetry, draw and even ride a unicycle. But despite this wide array of talents, he is prone to frequent misunderstandings, on one occasion even singing the alphabet as one big long word (ABC-DEF-GHI), pondering what it could ever mean.[4] He lives in a large nest behind the 123 Sesame Street brownstone and he has a teddy bear named Radar, after Walter "Radar" O'Reilly of M*A*S*H, who had a teddy bear and was also lovably naive and innocent. Radar was given to Big Bird by Gary Burghoff when he guest starred on the show.[5][6] Later on, however, it was said that Big Bird got the bear as a gift from Mr. Hooper.[citation needed]
A Horse With No Name
I have to find the source somewhere, but I recall reading that when the "Follow That Bird" movie was being shot, Big Bird had a scene with Waylon Jennings -- but ol' Waylon was smoking a cigarette between takes and accidentally put his cigarette on Big Bird, causing a small fire.

But "The Alphabet Song" brings back a lot of fun memories from my childhood -- I started singing it when I read the WP article. For those who don't know the song:

EricBarbour
Difficult to tell who was responsible for the bulk of that crap. This article is a popular target for vandals, some of which was more subtle than usual. Lot of IP-address-edits too.

Behold the genius of "crowd-sourcing".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.