Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theme parks articles
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Cla68
It appears to me that some dedicated editors are watching and taking deliberate care of the various US theme park articles in Wikipedia. Well-publicized mishaps, such as the recent trainer's death at SeaWorld Orlando, that occur at the parks are hidden as much as possible in Wikipedia.

For example, the Disney World article has no mention of any of the serious mishaps or incidents that have occurred at the park during its history. The incidents are listed in a separate article, a link to which is buried in the "see also" section in the main article. Attempts to list the incidents in related articles are quickly removed. Attempts to mention the names of any of the mishap victims, no matter how publicized the names were in the news, are also fought.

The same thing has occurred with the recent SeaWorld mishap. Note that a couple of the editors involved in the DisneyWorld article are also safeguarding the SeaWorld article. The editors are using the same technique to bury the accidents in a separate article and fight to keep the vicitms' names from being mentioned. As far as I can see, the BLP policy does not prohibit the mentioning of a victim's name in a Wikipedia article.

I'm not sure if the theme park industry is paying these guys to watch these articles or if they're people who just really like presenting a positive image of the parks in Wikipedia.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 28th February 2010, 9:43pm) *
I'm not sure if the theme park industry is paying these guys to watch these articles or if they're people who just really like presenting a positive image of the parks in Wikipedia.

Oh, puh-lease. $100 says these are paid edits evilgrin.gif , and WP's demented "management model" allows them to get away with it.

(While Greg Kohs's socks get banned every time, because the Low-Cost Admins don't like him....wanna push POV or
scrub embarrassing info from WP, just do it very quietly.)
thekohser
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 1st March 2010, 12:58am) *

(While Greg Kohs's socks get banned every time, because the Low-Cost Admins don't like him....wanna push POV or
scrub embarrassing info from WP, just do it very quietly.)

Duly noted, Eric. That's why you'll find that only about 10% of my paid editing sockpuppets since about October 2006 have ever been caught or banned. My various happy clients can attest to this.
NuclearWarfare
Perhaps you don't want to reveal this Greg, but I was wondering: How much money have you made off of writing Wikipedia articles over the past few years? And how much time do you estimate you have spent on it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.