Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another article on WP's cultural problems
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
EricBarbour
Love, hate, and the Wikipedia contributor culture problem

The bureaucracy of Wikipedia has a brand problem, probably caused in large part by an underlying culture problem. Search for "hate Wikipedia" in Google and you'll return about 13,000,000 results, which mostly fall into one of two categories: people complaining about inaccurate or politicized entries or contributors complaining about malicious editors and draconian administrators.

And despite all the Wiki-loving followup comments, plus this, the last commentor says:
Wikipedia is terminally hopeless because its system is designed to reach a certain level but no higher. Its model of throwing everyone into one system where an 18-year-old with Asperger's who devotes 18 hours per day to Wikipedia is equal to a PhD from MIT means it will ever be an endeavor of the amateur. Show me an outstanding article at Wikipedia and I will in most cases 1) show why it really is not excellent; or, 2) explain how this is an obscure topic where an expert can actually work on it and have it left pretty much alone.

I see---the open-source software crowd is confusing Wikipedia's operations with "openness". Evidently I must send emails to Chris Grams and Jeff Mackanic, with links and diffs, showing them how corrupt the Magic Open Wiki actually is.
thekohser
It's like they're snorting pixie dust or something.
BelovedFox
I followed a link from the above article to another post that was suggesting seven different ways of motivation that Wikipedia hasn't tried, either out of a lack of inertia or as against the general open philosophy.

I found it interesting because, if adopted, many of the suggestions would simply codify existing de facto practices (the barnstars and such). However at the same time they would also create a greater separation between "power users" and the regular chaps... people already chafe against that right now (and it's been cited as a reason for the declining membership), so I'm not sure how that's helping. (Especially with the "hate Wikipedia" bit from the topic article.)

At the same time, I find some of the examples of "good" sites with human motivation lacking. Associated Content, for example, is overrun with what appears to be housewives writing homemaking tips; while there is certainly a community, it doesn't appear to scale or even be centralized. There might be room for Wikipedia to change its model (if the community was willing), but I'm not sure such radical changes would be necessary to get a practical benefit (something as simple as expanding the bounty/rewards board into an actual effective mechanism, for example.)

Edit: Also, Associated Content's major "draw" is not the upfront payments for articles, but the $1.50-2.00 per 1000 page views on a page with at least one ad. Obviously this wouldn't work for Wikipedia unless they plastered the site with ads to compensate. Perhaps Kohs can shed light on the relative "bang" a single ad can generate to make such payouts worth it?
thekohser
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Mon 15th March 2010, 11:42am) *

Also, Associated Content's major "draw" is not the upfront payments for articles, but the $1.50-2.00 per 1000 page views on a page with at least one ad. Obviously this wouldn't work for Wikipedia unless they plastered the site with ads to compensate. Perhaps Kohs can shed light on the relative "bang" a single ad can generate to make such payouts worth it?

Depends if the content is about debt consolidation loans or asbestos lawyers, or whether the content is about minor planet 945 Barcelona or a list of members of the 77th West Virginia House of Delegates.

Ads on the former pair would generate worthwhile payouts, while ads on the latter pair would not.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 15th March 2010, 5:19pm) *

QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Mon 15th March 2010, 11:42am) *

Also, Associated Content's major "draw" is not the upfront payments for articles, but the $1.50-2.00 per 1000 page views on a page with at least one ad. Obviously this wouldn't work for Wikipedia unless they plastered the site with ads to compensate. Perhaps Kohs can shed light on the relative "bang" a single ad can generate to make such payouts worth it?

Depends if the content is about debt consolidation loans or asbestos lawyers, or whether the content is about minor planet 945 Barcelona or a list of members of the 77th West Virginia House of Delegates.

Ads on the former pair would generate worthwhile payouts, while ads on the latter pair would not.

I really don't see why they can't some articles like those you have in newspapers and magazines, clearly saying 'this is an advert', or saying it has been sponsored. That could pay for 'History of logic type articles, or obscure planets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.