Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probably written by a student from a rival school
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
Licking Valley High School

The Panthers are most well known for their football team, which was the Division III State Runner-up twice in the Mid State League but has now mellowed out and hasn't achieved any note worthy records in recent years.

Very encyclopedic, assholes. One would think you could spell "superintendent" properly.

Various admins have "touched" the mess in its 3 years of existence, but not to fix it.
Oh no no no, they just revert the obvious stupid vandalism. yecch.gif
Zoloft
*ponders whether 'Licking Valley' is an actual place name*

I must have a look at this...

*edit: Oh, salt licks.

Home of 'The Panthers'

Go, Panthers! We can lick them!
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 12:19am) *
*ponders whether 'Licking Valley' is an actual place name*

That kind of reminds me of a sign I once saw for "Flushing Gynecology Center" ... Yup, you guessed it, it was an abortion clinic in New York's Korea Town.

One could not make these things up if one tried.
EricBarbour
Nuke saw this thread, and nuked the mess.

Thanks, Nuke. I think. You've just tried to bail out the Pacific Ocean with a teaspoon. shrug.gif
NuclearWarfare
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 4:02am) *

Nuke saw this thread, and nuked the mess.

Thanks, Nuke. I think. You've just tried to bail out the Pacific Ocean with a teaspoon. shrug.gif

Not a bad analogy.

How do you find these articles, anyway? Special:Random a dozen times, or something more sophisticated?
Anonymous editor
school articles suck. whichever wikipedians decided that all high schools are notable should be forced to spend all their time watching these trashy articles.

They are far from the only bad part of Wikipedia, but high school articles in general are like this. Rarely watchlisted, mostly edited by students from that school or rival schools, writing about how various teachers are pedos, this or that student is either awesome or terrible, etc.

If it were up to me, I'd delete all but the most notable HSs. Barring that, semi-protect the lot.

Vandalism can stick for a long time on these pages.

Hey, at least this was removed, even if an IP had to do it and it took over a day...

schizophrenic vandal from 1/09
NuclearWarfare
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 6:39pm) *

school articles suck. whichever wikipedians decided that all high schools are notable should be forced to spend all their time watching these trashy articles.

They are far from the only bad part of Wikipedia, but high school articles in general are like this. Rarely watchlisted, mostly edited by students from that school or rival schools, writing about how various teachers are pedos, this or that student is either awesome or terrible, etc.

If it were up to me, I'd delete all but the most notable HSs. Barring that, semi-protect the lot.

Hey, at least this was removed, even if an IP had to do it and it took over a day...

Indeed. One school administrator asked me to remove all of the vandalism from the history of an article last week. 218/225 edits were bot edits, vandalism, or anti-vandalism...
EricBarbour
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 2:21pm) *
Indeed. One school administrator asked me to remove all of the vandalism from the history of an article last week. 218/225 edits were bot edits, vandalism, or anti-vandalism...

And that is (probably) how great wiki-empires fail. Slow grinding to death by vandals and scripts. You're watching history in the making....ugly isn't it?

PS, I saw the Licking Valley article on Reddit, they were joking about it. I wish I could find it again--Reddit is slowly falling apart, it gets slower and more unreliable every day. Probably the same problem Wikipedia will have, too much of the wrong attention.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 9:21pm) *

You really should not have to do that kind of work for free.

Even charities pay their cleaners the going rate.
BelovedFox
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 6:39pm) *

I agree. One of my first acts as an editor was to create an article about my old high school along with a friend. It quickly became a magnet for trash. I took it off my watchlist because I was fed up with trying to clean it out. As you point out, at a certain point some things become too trivial that they're damned hard to improve to say a GA level of comprehensiveness and are scarcely watched.
Moulton
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 6:17pm) *
One of my first acts as an editor was to create an article about my old high school along with a friend. It quickly became a magnet for trash. I took it off my watchlist because I was fed up with trying to clean it out.

If that's the more the rule than the exception, then there really isn't any need for an Ethical Breaching Experiment to test the defenses against trash getting past the watchers. The would-be watchers admit they are unable to hold back the flood of trash that washes over them day after day.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 3:27pm) *
If that's the more the rule than the exception, then there really isn't any need for an Ethical Breaching Experiment to test the defenses against trash getting past the watchers. The would-be watchers admit they are unable to hold back the flood of trash that washes over them day after day.

That's right. No need to devise counterstrategies for ethical problems on WP, it was born ethically unstable and unrepairable.

It took about 5 years to build up this wiki-mess and it will take many years to degrade. But it will be spectacular.
Anonymous editor
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 6:11pm) *

ummm, he's obviously not doing that work. He was saying that it's a ridiculous request.
NuclearWarfare
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 11:48pm) *

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Mon 22nd March 2010, 6:11pm) *

ummm, he's obviously not doing that work. He was saying that it's a ridiculous request.

Since it took about 30 seconds to scan the history and pick out the non-IP or "reverted edits by X to Y" edits, I actually did. It's better than telling them to go away...
Anonymous editor
you removed all the vandalism from the page history? That would leave about nothing in the page history. I checked and it says the page was not deleted. What I saw you do was trim the article down to the basic facts, which is fine and not much work.

It's not like you find people improving articles on high schools. No one values them.
NuclearWarfare
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Tue 23rd March 2010, 3:05am) *

you removed all the vandalism from the page history? That would leave about nothing in the page history. I checked and it says the page was not deleted. What I saw you do was trim the article down to the basic facts, which is fine and not much work.

It's not like you find people improving articles on high schools. No one values them.

Different page, not this one. You could probably find it in my deletion logs if you wanted.
Anonymous editor
oh, nevermind. thought you were talking about the HS in this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.