Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Someone is VERY ANGRY
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Eva Destruction
Can anyone work out what this guy is so upset about? Something tells me WR can expect to be graced by his wisdom fairly soon, whatever it is.
Push the button
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 30th March 2010, 11:18pm) *

Can anyone work out what this guy is so upset about? Something tells me WR can expect to be graced by his wisdom fairly soon, whatever it is.

You cannot view this diff because one or both of the revisions have been removed from the public archives.

There may be details in the deletion log.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Push the button @ Tue 30th March 2010, 11:32pm) *

You cannot view this diff because one or both of the revisions have been removed from the public archives.

There may be details in the deletion log.

- This is to stay here but also to be moved onto main page! This again proves my point from yesterday, i simply was reverting double edit and no good administrators like tim song reverted it, in this story you will find out exactly what i mean and what is long overdue fixing on wikipedia: I do not know where to start because the list is never-ending, problem with this user goes back all the way to 2005. This will not be post to enjoy, so bear with us, you are about to read nothing but the truth, supported with undeniable proof.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy no privacy on wikipeedia according to antandrus & those who support him. Antandrus goes public with people's real names, here he reverted the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=241207095 mirandamir reverted it back, then antandrus BLOCKED THE TALK PAGE, on purpose, knowing he will provoke situation, then he uses those statements to prove his point how he is innocent, how he is only doing his "job". ANTANDRUS MAIN REASON BEHIND BLOCKS IS TO CREATE PROBLEMS! Antandrus is wikiholic, he admitted if he does not revert something within 12 hours he will not feel good. In real life he has no life, no real job. On wikinews he claims he has phd, he claimed same thing here (REMEMBER ESSJAY LIES & SIDE EFFECTS?) en.wikinews.org/wiki/User:Antandrus but i'd like to see prove with his real name. I hope you will not take anything down here, thats against policies, we're simply trying to make our point clear. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=340162039

did he say thanx for edits and contributions, instead he wrote
good editor is dinking around, what kind of language is that,

certainly not civil, - against any wikipedia policities! Assuming good now blocked contributer (thanx to u know whom) chessmasta made one bad edit, but made 100 good edits, the one bad edit is huge crime according to antandrus, even arguin on talk page is crime, even if proven right. -

Reverts of good edits: - Antandrus has been vindalizing crosswikis & other webpages on the internet, not to mention putting his link on other pages just so he can promote his (like controler site, that has now been closed for good, good news) lowly websites.

http://en.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?title=...2&oldid=1100001
in this edit, it's clear mr antandrus has no knowledge of world

history, according to him churchill never participated in any wars, instead of correcting spellin, he reverted, later he did it BUT with bowed head, only after he was reported to administrator for revert violations.

Antandrus not once said thank you for good edits, never warned,

only blocked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=340178696
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=340162039
did he say thanx for edits and contributions? instead he wrote

- dinking around, what kind of language is that, certainly it's not civil, - against any wikipedia policities! Assuming good now blocked contributer (thanx to u know whom) chessmasta made one bad edit, but made 100 good edits, the one bad edit is huge crime according to antandrus, even arguin on talk page is crime, even if proven right. -

Reverts of good edits: - Antandrus has been vindalizing crosswikis & other webpages on the internet, not to mention putting his link on other pages just so he can promote his (like controler site, that has now been closed for good, good news) lowly websites.

http://en.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?title=...2&oldid=1100001
in this edit, it's clear mr antandrus has no knowledge of world

history, according to him churchill never participated in any wars, instead of correcting spellin, he reverted, later he did it BUT with bowed head, only after he was reported to administrator for revert violations.

antandrus, the racist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ant...ico_Croatian.3F

- it's clear hates croats, does not treat them right as all human races ought to be. We are all one people, nobody, including nations are above another, created equal in the eyes of the Creator with right to life, liberty, pursuit of happiness.

Antandrus has been suspended multiple times on other crosswikis,

banned globally:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C...tions/antandrus
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Cont...tions/Antandrus
Now, im sure he & those who suppor thim will say accounts created

for purpose of vandalism only but that is not true, it's clear that is antandrus, you can check pattern of his reverts, very rarely he'll say why he reverts, which is another violation of wikipedia policites. many of the above edits are constructive and many are not, so if this was just vandal, he'd simply revert everything & call things stupid, just to get laugh, there is no trollin activity, besides accounts were opened for very long time, usually vandal gets blocked within an hour, again that's clear evidence it was antandrus who was blocked for vandalism.

Over the years we have not seen any justice on wikipedia when it

comes to reporting administrators, one protects another & that's also violation, I doubt anybody will listen to me here but Im writing this for posterity that's the main reason. It would be best to block antandrus forever, that's wishful thinking, as im sure he'll find tons of excuses. Even founders like jimbo told him to stop it but he convinced him he's not doing anything wrong, so jimbo allowed him (another violation, proof was not looked at, pre/determinism is bad) to continue with his reverts, name calling and so on, the list has no end. -

Additional administratorship violations: - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=341598302 READ WELL WHAT WAS REPORTED LAST YEAR. This goes hand in hand. - Antandrus reverted this many times, reason? of course easy one, he simply said done by banned user, but he never mentioned the - fact that other administrators replied to it, accepted it, archived it. Nobody touched it. - Because it was complaint about him, TRUTH WAS WRITTEN & ANTANDRUS DOES NOT LIKE ANY TRUTH ON HIM! Imagine goin to court, judge immediately rules in favor of person he knows - just because it has nice eyes, NOT EVEN TALIBAN DOES IT!

I CAN GO ON FOREVER WITH MANY OTHER COMPLAINTS AGAINST THIS EVIL

INDIVIDUAL, KIND - OD ADMINISTRATIVE VANDALS, but what's the point, you guys will protect your own, - I've never seen impartial decision on wikipedia, there was never justice. - But at least, you are to remember what antandrus did, he is not to prosper or get - any new position on any wikia sites. He is evil man, who calls people by their names, - instead of by their account name.

Even kindergarten kid knows march 5 is when dictator joseph stalin died,

- yet antandrus reverted it http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=281530015 - later another user reverted it back but still it was reverted because administrators - are always "right" http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=281548370, - this is sad case of lack of impartiality on wikipedia. Even when things are 100% - correct antandrus will revert without explaing why, well ladies & gentleman, here you have ode to uncaring vandal administrator with no regards, no respect for - people's efforts, good work!!!

Some time ago administrator left this note

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=340190258, yet antandrus reverted other administrator's instructions as well, no regards for nothing & anythin!

Only recently on other wiki he kept on calling people by their names, never adheres to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy to him its all joke but if u delete this post

surely it will exist forever & then some, if you delete it, means you dont know, dont want to approach justice, because there is zero here, but assuming somebody was to violate your policy, you'd all scream how could they do such thing, we never do it!!!

Thus, this makes you pure hypocrites! You will not defand innocent, but when its your skin on the line, then it's big problem, so be neutral look into this as you swore to do your job, do it good once! It will be tough for you

dealin with justice!: Blockin this page so only reginstered users is not right, newyorkbrad above says its because of vandalism, yet that's still against policites to keep it locked for so long, no excuse, u always have too many but nobody outside wikipedia buys it, u r aware no university allows wikipedia at their campuses!? justly so! Antandrus should not be administrator, editor, nothin!The law of physics & nature is right, within gravitational field: what goes up will come down, HARD WITH BANG SOONER OR LATER dont think time will fix it, u r still dreamin!!! My words are all justified, always will be! —Preceding unsigned comment added by Privacyproblemsbydavidtroll (talk • contribs) 21:41, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 30th March 2010, 10:18pm) *

Antandrus (T-C-L-K-R-D) is definitely a Wikiholic (self-admitted)...but he's generally reasonable, as far as a completely indoctrinated cult member can be. I completely believe that he has a PhD in Musical composition, given the musicological thought presented in his classical music articles...and completely understand why he decided to get out of that field to make some real money...So, definitely not "EssJay" Material at all.

It would seem, however, that this angry person probably doesn't speak English as a first language and also probably doesn't think outside of "black/white" shadings...

...Oh well, we'll find out more soon enough....
Ottava

The guy posting it is the "Antandrusis___" name creator. He was posting on meta but that was stopped quickly.

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 30th March 2010, 10:38pm) *

Antandrus (T-C-L-K-R-D) is definitely a Wikiholic (self-admitted)...but he's generally reasonable, as far as a completely indoctrinated cult member can be. I completely believe that he has a PhD in Musical composition, given the musicological thought presented in his classical music articles...and completely understand why he decided to get out of that field to make some real money...So, definitely not "EssJay" Material at all.

It would seem, however, that this angry person probably doesn't speak English as a first language and also probably doesn't think outside of "black/white" shadings...

Actually, I used my access and logged into the music database he's been using. Many of his pages contain at least a few phrases with 4-8 words in a row lifted with no changes. I went straight down his article list and hit approximately an 80% rate of this happening down to the 35th page. I got tired after that point.

I investigated after someone else on WR mentioned that he lifts his material from that encyclopedia. Its not hard to make content when you take it right from an oxford encyclopedia.
Somey
I believe the implication is that this person (the one complaining about the perhaps-somewhat-objectionable Antandrus (T-C-L-K-R-D) ) is in fact PIO (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who appears to be from Northern Italy, and seems to have been interested at some point in adding material to WP to support claims that Italians were victims of "ethnic cleansing" by Yugoslav partisans in the final months of World War II. He also seems to object to the use of the word "football" to refer to American or Australian-rules football.

Difficult to be absolutely certain, though.
victim of censorship

Another day in the wiki-ocean of shit.
The Joy
Is this the "Gogi" going after Antandrus on WQ? huh.gif

http://en.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?title=...v&oldid=1097196
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Wed 31st March 2010, 1:25am) *

I'd have thought you of all people would feel some kind of bond with this guy.
thekohser
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 30th March 2010, 6:18pm) *

This is the punishment for making it the encyclopedia "anyone can edit", and I relish these moments.
Text
Gogi is better known as "George Reeves Person" or "Squidward vandal". At the end of 2005 he was using the accounts User:Vesa and User:Projects. He came back later as User:Boxingwear. He's someone posting from Chicago and has hated Antandrus for years, he used to maintain an attack website about him.

I don't think he has anything in particular against Antandrus besides the fact that he enjoys insulting him, he just has anger management issues.

He used open proxies and infected zombie computers in early 2006 to launch a massive attack to spam images of Squidward, a character from the Spongebob cartoon, on multiple pages at once.

I don't think PIO even knows Antandrus, he's just a banned guy who is hot-headed and doesn't like editors like DIREKTOR.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:13pm) *

Gogi is better known as "George Reeves Person" or "Squidward vandal". At the end of 2005 he was using the accounts User:Vesa and User:Projects. He came back later as User:Boxingwear. He's someone posting from Chicago and has hated Antandrus for years, he used to maintain an attack website about him.

I don't think he has anything in particular against Antandrus besides the fact that he enjoys insulting him, he just has anger management issues.

He used open proxies and infected zombie computers in early 2006 to launch a massive attack to spam images of Squidward, a character from the Spongebob cartoon, on multiple pages at once.

I don't think PIO even knows Antandrus, he's just a banned guy who is hot-headed and doesn't like editors like DIREKTOR.

Do you suppose Britannica ever has conversations like this?
Text

Obviously not! They don't have trouble makers, and therefore pages which document their behavior are not needed.
Ottava
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 1:21pm) *

Britannica doesn't have conversations. They have deadlines and don't even really bother to look at what is submitted. That is why the fact checking done a while back between EB and Wikipedia found that Wikipedia was more up to date and accurate than Britannica was.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:26pm) *

Obviously not! They don't have trouble makers, and therefore pages which document their behavior are not needed.

You know that Britannica is no longer the sombre stack of dull volumes sold by salesmen with a strange resemblance to Mormon missionaries, but a knock-off of Wikipedia complete with "anyone can edit", right? The only difference is that they operate a strict version of flagged revisions so the "poop" vandalism never makes it to the live site.
A Horse With No Name
To quote Rodney Dangerfield: call me when dinner's over! hrmph.gif
Tarc
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 30th March 2010, 9:15pm) *

Kinda similar to how serial killers never work in pairs, neither do wiki-obsessives. Too much unstable ego for one room to hold.
BelovedFox
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:29pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 30th March 2010, 9:15pm) *

Kinda similar to how serial killers never work in pairs, neither do wiki-obsessives. Too much unstable ego for one room to hold.

You know, that would make a great book, I'm just sure someone has already thought of it smile.gif
carbuncle
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 1:36pm) *

The only difference is that they operate a strict version of flagged revisions so the "poop" vandalism never makes it to the live site.

That's a great idea! Someone ought to suggest that for WP! I hear they already do it on de.wiki so it shouldn't take long to get it going on en.wiki...
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Wed 31st March 2010, 3:47pm) *

You know, that would make a great book, I'm just sure someone has already thought of it smile.gif

Someone could write a screenplay about two serial killers who work together. Quentin Tarantino, maybe. Who knows, maybe one of WR's regulars could produce it? Oh, wait…
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 31st March 2010, 10:29am) *

Kinda similar to how serial killers never work in pairs …

Only in Canada …

All that politeness sugar-coats mass quantities of repressed homolkacidal rage, y'see …

Kinda like Wikiputians …

Jon dry.gif
Ottava
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 1:36pm) *

You know that Britannica is no longer the sombre stack of dull volumes sold by salesmen with a strange resemblance to Mormon missionaries, but a knock-off of Wikipedia complete with "anyone can edit", right? The only difference is that they operate a strict version of flagged revisions so the "poop" vandalism never makes it to the live site.

Only on the current online edition.

They still have a print edition which uses old school general editors that are supposed to be "expert" in a field that may be somewhat connected to what they are writing on. Unless they just scrapped that completely, which would be lulzy.
thekohser
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 31st March 2010, 9:13am) *

He came back later as User:Boxingwear.

Oh, good Lordy... I had about a month of episodic attacks from Boxingwear and his school chums / chess club cohorts on Wikipedia Review. The calls to my cell phone at 2:00 AM were funny. Heavy breathing and threatening curses upon me and my site. Good times.
Somey
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 31st March 2010, 8:13am) *

Righ, but he knows Luigi 28 (T-C-L-K-R-D) - one of the links in the lengthy AN/I post accused him of being a "racist" and hating Croatians because he wouldn't accept Antandrus' assertion about the birthplace of a certain composer. Luigi 28 is supposed to be an alternate/later account of PIO, and other aspects are similar - POV, poor English skills, lengthy/incoherent posts with liberal use of ALL CAPS, etc.

Admittedly it's conjectural on my part - I could be more certain (one way or the other) if I had an IP address on Privacyproblemsbydavidtroll (T-C-L-K-R-D) , but obviously that's not gonna happen.
Text
Privacyproblemsbydavidtroll

BoxingWear thinks Antandrus' real name is "David Antandrus", hence that username.

But now he's attacking someone else as well. http://paulvariomkil.tripod.com/
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:29pm) *

VoC, I think you've met your match.
Somey
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 12:35pm) *

Dammit, I hate it when people do that...
Ottava
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:01pm) *

Dammit, I hate it when people do that...

What? Clone VoC or do so on a non WR setting? smile.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 7:51am) *

Someone could write a screenplay about two serial killers who work together. Quentin Tarantino, maybe. Who knows, maybe one of WR's regulars could produce it? Oh, wait…

Yeah, well, the Quentin Tarantino "version" (Pulp Fiction) is a parody of a long tradition of this stuff, often in cheap-paper crime-detective hard-boiled thriller magazines, hence its name. I think the prototypical hitmen who come in a pair are Hemingway's Max and Al from the short story The Killers (1927). Al is Jewish; Max sounds Irish. They are after a Swedish boxer who has refused to fix a fight. This one appeared in Scribners Mag, which was about as far as you could get from a pulp (which didn't exist yet the 20's), but it was copied by the real pulps of the depression 30's.

Max and Al are back in the film noir The Killers (1946) where Burt Lancaster plays the Swede in his very first film role (the Swede actually never appears in Hemingway's story). Ava Gardner's also in this one! wub.gif

The most interesting film by this name and inspired by the story (by now hardly recognizable) is the 1964 The Killers. In this one the killer-pair is Charlie and Lee, played by Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager (remember him?). They're after a teacher played by John Cassavetes (remember him? One of the greats). Like the guy in the Hemingway story he has a fatalistic attitude, as though the killers were unavoidable Death. That's about the only resemblance. Later, there's a lot of complicated other stuff that's not in Hemingway, and who should appear but Angie Dickinson, fresh from her afrair with JFK, and .... wait for it... Ronald Reagan, in one of his last screen appearances before going into politics. Everybody shoots everybody else, and in the end everybody is dead, and Tarantino was surely inspired by this version, methinks. It's worth seeing.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 9:26am) *
Britannica doesn't have conversations. They have deadlines and don't even really bother to look at what is submitted. That is why the fact checking done a while back between EB and Wikipedia found that Wikipedia was more up to date and accurate than Britannica was.
You're not referring to the discredited Nature study, are you?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 11:35am) *

Ok, this guy is good. But VoC has had is easy. Anyone else close to as constantly pissed off has been absented from this site for a long time. It won't be easy but VoC could train. Roadwork. Drills. Weights. It can be done. VoC has the heart.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:13pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:01pm) *

Dammit, I hate it when people do that …

What? Clone VoC or do so on a non WR setting? smile.gif

It's only an exhibition, not a competition.

Please, no 1-↑-ing …

Jon tongue.gif
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:27pm) *
Ok, this guy is good. But VoC has had is easy. Anyone else close to as constantly pissed off has been absented from this site for a long time. It won't be easy but VoC could train. Roadwork. Drills. Weights. It can be done. VoC has the heart.
I was going to suggest chopping logs in Russia, but then I realized that this is clearly Rocky III.
Ottava
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:18pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 9:26am) *
You're not referring to the discredited Nature study, are you?

I've seen research that approved and disapproved of the study. So, I will pick the one that most satisfies my agenda, like everyone else.

smile.gif
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:43pm) *
I've seen research that approved and disapproved of the study.
Could you refer me to some of the former?

And it's news to me that my agenda involves making Wikipedia look bad, though I can imagine that some would see that as an explanation of my performance on ArbCom.
Ottava
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:50pm) *

Could you refer me to some of the former?

And it's news to me that my agenda involves making Wikipedia look bad, though I can imagine that some would see that as an explanation of my performance on ArbCom.

I'd have to email some people.

It came up yesterday during discussion in my office. The other thing for discussion was this "greatest novels" competition at firstthings. I didn't open anything besides that on my laptop at the time so I don't have it in my history.

By the way, I don't seriously care about the study or any study, because everyone knows that I am predisposed to hate Britannica anyway.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:56pm) *
Well, no hurry. My likely reaction is to skim it, pause for a couple of seconds, and conclude wit ha hearty "huh".
Ottava
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:58pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:56pm) *
Well, no hurry. My likely reaction is to skim it, pause for a couple of seconds, and conclude wit ha hearty "huh".

That should be common for anything found on the internet. smile.gif
Jon Awbrey
Yet another thread converted into Ovatta's personal trivia chatroom …

Moulton got put on an egg-timer for far less …

Jon dry.gif
Moulton
Hey, Jon, they gave you your own forum.

Mebbe Ottava should get one, too.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 31st March 2010, 7:17pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 31st March 2010, 7:51am) *

Yeah, well, the Quentin Tarantino "version" (Pulp Fiction)

I was actually thinking of our own ColScott's Natural Born Killers. Apparently, it prompted some kind of dispute between him and Tarantino. Although for some reason, I can't find out about it on Wikipedia.
JeffB
Just to throw in my $.02 here with regards to math....

Britannica has had some astonishingly good math editors. In terms of quality of editors for a broad math reference book only Séminaire Bourbaki, which is in French, could be clearly seen as superior. There are Russian math encyclopedias that are likely on par.... But I know of nothing in a general interest encyclopedia.

In terms of completeness Wikipedia crushes Britannica. It isn't even close. Wikipedia is more complete than most good math encyclopedias. And the mixture of levels is truly impressive it covers materials from a middle school level through to graduate research. I'd say that in general Wikipedia aims at an advanced undergrad level but again it does contain a decent treatment of many more advanced topics.

In terms of accuracy... here the system has problems. Not so much directly in math articles as when math is used in other articles. For example on the rewrite of the optics I noticed 4 math issues where the language surrounding the equations was wrong. Basically someone was copying an equation without fully understanding its meaning or its application.

You see the same kinds of problems in articles that cover a range of difficulties. Like those that hit high school math topics:

Just to pick an example at random the Basis article has this line: The sums in the above definition are all finite because without additional structure the axioms of a vector space do not permit us to meaningfully speak about an infinite sum of vectors.

Which demonstrates the article writer doesn't clearly understand the distinction between:
  1. A vector space with an infinite basis in a purely algebraic sense
  2. Hamel basis which is analytic

You wouldn't see this sort of issue in a more advanced article. What probably really happened is that finite basis are used in high school and most college courses and the article is most useful if it oversimplifies.

So in general I'd say that Wikipedia has fulfilled its mission when it comes to math. A mandatory math review as part of GA review would help a lot, but that might be too much to ask. But certainly it could be policy for FA.
Jon Awbrey
¤ cough ¤ splutter ¤ fume ¤

Jon frustrated.gif

This one is pretty good —

Mathematical Society of Japan, Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics, 2nd edition, 2 vols., Kiyosi Itô (ed.), MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1993.

The nice thing about professionally edited reference works is that you don't have worry about being led down some garden path on a randomly-chosen day by an utter moron — with not so much as a sign up ahead to warn you that …

You've Just Crossed Over Into The Twitlite Zone !!!

Jon dry.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 31st March 2010, 2:17pm) *

Max and Al are back in the film noir The Killers (1946) where Burt Lancaster plays the Swede in his very first film role (the Swede actually never appears in Hemingway's story). Ava Gardner's also in this one! wub.gif

Ava Gardner! You said the magic phrase!

boing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 31st March 2010, 1:12pm) *
Jon frustrated.gif

Are you feeling the Wiki-Luv? Can you feel it?
JeffB
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 31st March 2010, 4:12pm) *

Jon frustrated.gif

This one is pretty good —

Mathematical Society of Japan, Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics, 2nd edition, 2 vols., Kiyosi Itô (ed.), MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1993.

I own that one. It doesn't hold a candle to Wikipedia, just doesn't cover enough material. If you want an excellent online encyclopedia . Wolfram may also be worth a look. If you want something offline that would crush Wikipedia in terms of quantity Cambridge encyclopedia. I can't personally vouch for that one since it post dates me but I had about 20 volumes in the Springer version from the 90's. Again that is far better, and far more complete than Wikipedia. I didn't really count it though because the volumes in the Springer set themselves though have an editorial POV and are reference textbooks rather than a pure encyclopedia. I assume the Cambridge is similar.

Jon Awbrey
Wikipedia's massive pile of name-droppings looks impressive only if you don't look closer.

If you stick within the bounds of what an encyclopedia should be — and not the inflated pretenses of new horizons for learning that lured my younger, naiver self into its deep, dim wikipits — then it's far more important to convey the essentials than to pump up the ego with a lot of concepts that remain but conceits.

But it's pumped up ignorance that Wikipedia excels at.

Jon Awbrey
Ottava
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 31st March 2010, 10:38pm) *

Wikipedia's massive pile of name-droppings looks impressive only if you don't look closer.

If you stick within the bounds of what an encyclopedia should be — and not the inflated pretenses of new horizons for learning that lured my younger, naiver self into its deep, dim wikipits — then it's far more important to convey the essentials than to pump up the ego with a lot of concepts that remain but conceits.

Jon Awbrey

From what I can see, beta.Wikiversity is putting up some rather interesting stuff related to mathematics. : )
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 31st March 2010, 6:43pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 31st March 2010, 10:38pm) *

Jon Awbrey

From what I can see, beta.Wikiversity is putting up some rather interesting stuff related to mathematics. smile.gif

Sh³ — don't tell anyone —

It's just my sneaky, er, quiet little “social mode breaching experiment” …

Jon evilgrin.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 30th March 2010, 10:58pm) *

The guy posting it is the "Antandrusis___" name creator. He was posting on meta but that was stopped quickly.

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 30th March 2010, 10:38pm) *

Actually, I used my access and logged into the music database he's been using. Many of his pages contain at least a few phrases with 4-8 words in a row lifted with no changes. I went straight down his article list and hit approximately an 80% rate of this happening down to the 35th page. I got tired after that point.

I investigated after someone else on WR mentioned that he lifts his material from that encyclopedia. Its not hard to make content when you take it right from an oxford encyclopedia.

About 99 percent of all classical music content on Wikipedia is indeed lifted from the Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. If Ant isn't doing thorough rewrites, then a pox on him.

I try not to read Grove, since I prefer to have my own ideas about things...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.