Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edit Counter
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
The Adversary
I was just trying to find what articles Mantanmoreland had edited...but could not; as it is no longer possible to see either articles or times. This has happened in the last few days, methinks; I checked myself a few days ago, and then it was all there.

Well; I suspect a few regulars here will be delighted tongue.gif

(However, it woun´t make life easier for those who try to fight some rather nasty socks, like Isarig, or Mantanmoreland unhappy.gif )
Ottava
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 4:48pm) *

I was just trying to find what articles Mantanmoreland had edited...but could not; as it is no longer possible to see either articles or times. This has happened in the last few days, methinks; I checked myself a few days ago, and then it was all there.

Well; I suspect a few regulars here will be delighted tongue.gif

(However, it woun´t make life easier for those who try to fight some rather nasty socks, like Isarig, or Mantanmoreland unhappy.gif )

Apparently, someone claimed it revealed too much "private information", which is ridiculous since it is all public data. Those people should be banned since they released all of the dates via GFDL and them complaining is stupid.
Moulton
It's really comic when hypocrites try to hide their hypocrisy.
Theanima
See this, where the request was made. Completely ridiculous - any person can simply copy and paste somebody's contributions to a spreadsheet and go from there. Sure it takes longer but it's only using what information is available on the wiki. X! should have stood his or her ground and refused to change them.
NuclearWarfare
According to the toolserver administrators and X!, a German editor complained to the toolserver administrators that aggregation of such information using the toolserver violated German law. The toolserver admins then ordered X! to make his service opt-in rather than opt-out.

http://en.wikichecker.com/ was not affected by this though, so I suppose you could use that. It certainly isn't all that fast though.
Ottava
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Sun 4th April 2010, 5:46pm) *

According to the toolserver administrators and X!, a German editor complained to the toolserver administrators that aggregation of such information using the toolserver violated German law. The toolserver admins then ordered X! to make his service opt-in rather than opt-out.

http://en.wikichecker.com/ was not affected by this though, so I suppose you could use that. It certainly isn't all that fast though.

Gesh, Toolserver folded against the Germans faster than Neville Chamberlain.
The Adversary
QUOTE(Theanima @ Sun 4th April 2010, 5:43pm) *

See this, where the request was made. Completely ridiculous - any person can simply copy and paste somebody's contributions to a spreadsheet and go from there. Sure it takes longer but it's only using what information is available on the wiki. X! should have stood his or her ground and refused to change them.

Interesting. The person who made the complaint has exactly ...80 edits. Any bets that is not a sock? ...or German? (look at the contribution-list).

And yeah; I know German privacy -rules are different from American; take Ebay: I recall they earlier had a rule which meant you could see less information (feed-back, or bidding) about a user based in Germany than elsewhere. And they stated explicitly it was because of German privacy laws. Interestingly, I just checked that, I now there are no such limitations on German users; they show exactly the same information as on anyone else.

<edit>
And thanks for the links!
Theanima
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 7:11pm) *

Interesting. The person who made the complaint has exactly ...80 edits. Any bets that is not a sock? ...or German? (look at the contribution-list).

They're from the German Wikipedia where they have edited since 2003. They're not a sock.
Anonymous editor
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 2:11pm) *

Any bets that is not a sock? ...or German? (look at the contribution-list).

no bet here. Pretty clear-cut what's going on and I can't believe the sock was accommodated.
The Adversary
QUOTE(Theanima @ Sun 4th April 2010, 6:23pm) *

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 7:11pm) *

They're from the German Wikipedia where they have edited since 2003. They're not a sock.

Yes, I think you are righ. He has a SUL-account, & is a sys-op on German wp with nearly 23 000 edits.

Anyway; we still have wikichecker and wikistalk....so socks: you can stop dancing on the table wink.gif

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has any knowledge about Ebay and privacy of German users though...it seems as if Ebay backtracked there? Perhaps German privacy laws are not as strong as some claim?
Ottava
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 8:12pm) *

Yes, I think you are righ. He has a SUL-account, & is a sys-op on German wp with nearly 23 000 edits.

Anyway; we still have wikichecker and wikistalk....so socks: you can stop dancing on the table wink.gif

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has any knowledge about Ebay and privacy of German users though...it seems as if Ebay backtracked there? Perhaps German privacy laws are not as strong as some claim?

Its not like the Germans have ever backed up any of their claims with violence, after all.

smile.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 6:11pm) *

And yeah; I know German privacy -rules are different from American; take Ebay: I recall they earlier had a rule which meant you could see less information (feed-back, or bidding) about a user based in Germany than elsewhere. And they stated explicitly it was because of German privacy laws. Interestingly, I just checked that, I now there are no such limitations on German users; they show exactly the same information as on anyone else.

It has nothing to do with the nationality of the users, or which language they language/wiki they edit, or even the physical location of the server (Amsterdam).

The only reason the toolserver admins will respond to complaints like that is because the server is the property of Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. (Eisenacher Str. 2, 10777 Berlin).
thekohser
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 4:12pm) *

It would appear (at least today) that we don't still have wikichecker. Anybody know if it's gone forever, or just a temporary glitch?
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 28th June 2010, 3:46pm) *

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sun 4th April 2010, 4:12pm) *

It would appear (at least today) that we don't still have wikichecker. Anybody know if it's gone forever, or just a temporary glitch?

Works fine for me. You sometimes need to hit "refresh" a couple of times to jigger it into action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.