Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 30% of editors who leave Wikipedia...
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
A consultant found that 30% of relatively light / short-term editors who leave Wikipedia say that something about the Wikipedia community drove them off (see pages 6 and 23 especially).

• "I found the atmosphere unpleasant."
  • "Some editors made Wikipedia a difficult place to work."
  • "I spent 2 hours putting a new page together for a poetry organization. It was removed without a real explanation. It fit all the rules. There were other organizations just like this one with wikipages. Made no sense to me."
  • "Being threatened by other editors for adding info. I try and add to the Florence Italy page … and had my entry removed and was told I would be banned if I added anything. … Very unprofessional and hardly inviting!"
  • "Repeatedly having valid information I submitted taken down by one other editor who seemed to have some sort of personal axe to grind"

However, what's the #1 piece of advice that the consultant gave to the Wikimedia Foundation?

Don’t 
break 
what
 works. 
Don’t 
get 
lured 
into 
trade‐offs.

How will that consultant be rewarded?

Give him a Senior Product Manager job, direct with the Foundation, of course!
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 6th May 2010, 2:15pm) *

A consultant found that 30% of relatively light / short-term editors who leave Wikipedia say that something about the Wikipedia community drove them off (see pages 6 and 23 especially).

• "I found the atmosphere unpleasant."
  • "Some editors made Wikipedia a difficult place to work."
  • "I spent 2 hours putting a new page together for a poetry organization. It was removed without a real explanation. It fit all the rules. There were other organizations just like this one with wikipages. Made no sense to me."
  • "Being threatened by other editors for adding info. I try and add to the Florence Italy page … and had my entry removed and was told I would be banned if I added anything. … Very unprofessional and hardly inviting!"
  • "Repeatedly having valid information I submitted taken down by one other editor who seemed to have some sort of personal axe to grind"

However, what's the #1 piece of advice that the consultant gave to the Wikimedia Foundation?

Don’t 
break 
what
 works. 
Don’t 
get 
lured 
into 
trade‐offs.

How will that consultant be rewarded?

Give him a Senior Product Manager job, direct with the Foundation, of course!

Sweet !!!
♥♥♥♥♥ !!!

Jon tongue.gif
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
The big joke, as with the public statement recently made by Sue Gardner regarding consulting critics ... which actually did not include consulting any critics at all ... is that despite the existence and increasing effectiveness of this site, none of them ever come to request an opinion.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Thu 6th May 2010, 6:52pm) *
The big joke, as with the public statement recently made by Sue Gardner regarding consulting critics ... which actually did not include consulting any critics at all ... is that despite the existence and increasing effectiveness of this site, none of them ever come to request an opinion.
That's because the people on this site are not critics. They're trolls. And no sensible person asks a troll for her opinion.
Moulton
Actually, the very best trolls don't offer any opinions at all. Rather they ask good questions that make you think.

If you find it annoying to have to stop and think, then you won't care for trolls who ask really good questions.
Abd
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 6th May 2010, 8:33pm) *
Actually, the very best trolls don't offer any opinions at all. Rather they ask good questions that make you think.

If you find it annoying to have to stop and think, then you won't care for trolls who ask really good questions.
Your questions make me feel uncomfortable, they challenge my Assumed Good Faith. If I asked you questions like that, I'd be trying to embarrass or expose you. Of course, I wouldn't do that, I'd just block you. But you have no block button and no power, therefore you are merely trying to get me angry. Therefore you are a troll. Q.E.D.
Moulton
QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 9th May 2010, 9:14am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 6th May 2010, 8:33pm) *
Actually, the very best trolls don't offer any opinions at all. Rather they ask good questions that make you think. If you find it annoying to have to stop and think, then you won't care for trolls who ask really good questions
Your questions make me feel uncomfortable, they challenge my Assumed Good Faith. If I asked you questions like that, I'd be trying to embarrass or expose you. Of course, I wouldn't do that, I'd just block you. But you have no block button and no power, therefore you are merely trying to get me angry. Therefore you are a troll. Q.E.D.

Cute. But I think we would have to work up a bit more muppetry to make that sketch work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.