Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo trolling for a fight.
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
Abd
I missed this.
The bluster.

What Jimbo said: he is that foolish. My guess is not, he'd back down. I don't think he understood what Tango was saying, he may have been thinking of "the community" as being only a core of bigmouth blowhards locally dominant. No, Tango meant the real community, which is so far only lumbering along, distracted, half-asleep. If it wakes up, Jimbo would salute it, or be left in the dust as no longer relevant.

I think his bluster is a sign of loneliness. Only the real community, awakened, "the sum of human knowledge," as an active entity, could realize the wiki vision. So, here, he is challenging it, poking it. Trolling, in fact. It didn't even notice.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 9th May 2010, 9:32am) *

I missed this.
The bluster.

What Jimbo said: he is that foolish. My guess is not, he'd back down. I don't think he understood what Tango was saying, he may have been thinking of "the community" as being only a core of bigmouth blowhards locally dominant. No, Tango meant the real community, which is so far only lumbering along, distracted, half-asleep. If it wakes up, Jimbo would salute it, or be left in the dust as no longer relevant.

I think his bluster is a sign of loneliness. Only the real community, awakened, "the sum of human knowledge," as an active entity, could realize the wiki vision. So, here, he is challenging it, poking it. Trolling, in fact. It didn't even notice.

There is no real community. Only a collection of bigmouth blowhards locally dominant with ever shifting agendas and alliances. Kudos for that well turned phrase in any case.
Web Fred
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 9th May 2010, 4:37pm) *

There is no real community. Only a collection of bigmouth blowhards locally dominant with ever shifting agendas and alliances.

That sounds quite like Wikipedia Review too strangely enough.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Sun 9th May 2010, 11:44am) *

There is no real community. Only a collection of bigmouth blowhards locally dominant with ever shifting agendas and alliances.

The difference being that The Wikipedia Reviewers don't pretend to be a community.

Jon dry.gif
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 9th May 2010, 4:09pm) *

The difference being that The Wikipedia Reviewers don't pretend to be a community.

Jon dry.gif

well, there are a few here with 'ever shifting agendas and alliances'. However, WR is very good supporting individuals who wish to speak their honest mind. And there's not an atmosphere of repression and censorship for people not toeing the line, like there is at WP.

These latest incidents illustrate another difference too; WP's unnatural devotion to anything obscene under the banner of 'censorship is evil' lies in stark contrast to their heavy handed censorship of criticism. Exemplified by admins with banning people like Larry Sanger, and when that doesn't work, attempting to topic ban him from articles he's an expert at, even though he never edited the articles, only the talk pages. The hypocrisy is extraordinary not only for its magnitude, but for it's childishness.
Somey
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 9th May 2010, 10:37am) *
There is no real community. Only a collection of bigmouth blowhards locally dominant with ever shifting agendas and alliances. Kudos for that well turned phrase in any case.

To be fair, I don't believe the agendas and alliances on WP shift all that much over time, except for the more game-oriented users of course. I'd say it isn't a real community either in anything like the traditional sense, but individual groups within it seem to be becoming more cohesive, even as the overall structure becomes more fractured.

I had a shifting Agenda myself once, but I traded that in for a Hyundai Sonata with automatic transmission.
Ottava
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 9th May 2010, 4:09pm) *

Jon dry.gif

Jon, won't you be my neighbor? smile.gif

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 9th May 2010, 6:41pm) *

well, there are a few here with 'ever shifting agendas and alliances'. However, WR is very good supporting individuals who wish to speak their honest mind. And there's not an atmosphere of repression and censorship for people not toeing the line, like there is at WP.

I'd have to say that is because Somey seems to know how his reputation (and WR's reputation) is based and is a strong central figure that would determine such. Wikipedia doesn't have such a figure who both does what is best for the reputation and has the determination to be strong against others.
Web Fred
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 9th May 2010, 5:09pm) *

Jon dry.gif

Nah they're just a group of disgruntled people who have had their precious noses put out of joint by the folks over at WP and now have an axe to grind. So much so that it has to be unhealthy the extent a lot of them are so focussed on the 'pedia.

One way or another the projects must have more importance to them than they would like to admit. They think my mindset is weird, sheesh some of the buggers round here are downright stalker-like spooky. Psychos 'r' Us

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Sun 9th May 2010, 4:22pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 9th May 2010, 5:09pm) *

Jon dry.gif

Nah they're just a group of disgruntled people who have had their precious noses put out of joint by the folks over at WP and now have an axe to grind. So much so that it has to be unhealthy the extent a lot of them are so focussed on the 'pedia.

One way or another the projects must have more importance to them than they would like to admit. They think my mindset is weird, sheesh some of the buggers round here are downright stalker-like spooky. Psychos 'r' Us

Wikipedia is important to educators, researchers, and scholars the way potholes are important to motorists. They try to avoid them as dangerous obstructions, and when they can't — they scream bluddy hell to the county to come and pave them over.

Jon tongue.gif
Abd
QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 9th May 2010, 11:32am) *
The bluster.

What Jimbo said: he is that foolish. My guess is not, he'd back down.
Ahem. He blinked. He wasn't that foolish.
Moulton
QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 9th May 2010, 10:25pm) *
QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 9th May 2010, 11:32am) *
The bluster.

What Jimbo said: he is that foolish. My guess is not, he'd back down.
Ahem. He blinked. He wasn't that foolish.

Interesting that he didn't properly sign that comment, and no one noticed who was stating denial and disbelief of Tango's prescient prediction.

Jimbo was self-deluded on the specific point in question. The events of the last few days revealed the extent (and the cost) of his self-delusion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.