Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Au, Fondation vs. Um, Pyre
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Zoloft
Anyone want to compare and contrast Isaac Asimov's Encyclopedia Galactica Foundation with the Wikipedia Foundation?

I think Preem Palver would have a fit. happy.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 25th May 2010, 6:36pm) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 25th May 2010, 11:35pm) *
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 25th May 2010, 6:20pm) *
A rational person would be quite capable of asking for a clarification without the stupid rants.
True enough, but remember that Ottava is steeped in the irrationality of WikiCulture, where gently asking for a clarification is a rather futile act.
...and it is our duty to not pander to those idiocies by tolerating them here.

Which begs the question of best practices for introducing the novel concept of rational and civil discourse to a constituency that is not familiar with it.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 25th May 2010, 10:40pm) *

Which begs the question of best practices for introducing the novel concept of rational and civil discourse to a constituency that is not familiar with it.

It probably would require violating the same principles you seek to establish. Fact is, most wouldn't think twice about it.
Moulton
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 25th May 2010, 6:52pm) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 25th May 2010, 10:40pm) *
It probably would require violating the same principles you seek to establish. Fact is, most wouldn't think twice about it.

I don't believe that it cannot be done without resorting to uncivil or irrational practices along the way. But it may require the use of storycraft as a medium of introduction to the concept. Something like the Pooh stories, for example.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Tue 25th May 2010, 4:37pm) *

Anyone want to compare and contrast Isaac Asimov's Encyclopedia Galactica Foundation with the Wikipedia Foundation?

I think Preem Palver would have a fit. happy.gif

I think that is why Wikipedian fall into the use of The Foundation when referring to WMF. Also recall IA's Foundation was also a complete scam.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 25th May 2010, 11:00pm) *

I don't believe that it cannot be done without resorting to uncivil or irrational practices along the way. But it may require the use of storycraft as a medium of introduction to the concept. Something like the Pooh stories, for example.

Yup, something like that.
Zoloft
The Foundation relied upon the vague, holographic messages from their Founder to let them know they were on the right track, but only after the crisis.

That way it wasn't their Vault.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.