Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keep blocking those IP addresses
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
Starbucks will be rolling out free Wi-Fi access at 6,700 of its corporate-owned locations.

This follows 11,500 McDonald's locations earlier this year.

Now, tech experts among us... do you think each of these locations has its own (WP-blockable) IP address, or will one big, fat IP address serve multiple (or all) locations in the chain? Has anyone tried these out? What IP was it? Has it been blocked by an overzealous admin yet?
Ottava
I have no problem blocking any and all IP address. Provide me with whatever IP you want and I'll soft block it.

smile.gif
Jon Awbrey
Do you want flies with that?

Jon tongue.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Ottava @ Mon 14th June 2010, 4:02pm) *

I have no problem blocking any and all IP address. Provide me with whatever IP you want and I'll soft block it.

smile.gif

That's not how the game is played, Ottava. Players on offense score a "hit" with every dubious or "POV" edit that they can push past the defense, until the IP block retires the side. You don't just march up to bat and say, "I'm going to swing on only the second, third, fifth, and eighth pitches!"
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th June 2010, 3:49pm) *

Starbucks will be rolling out free Wi-Fi access at 6,700 of its corporate-owned locations.

I just got a $15 gift card for Starbucks from the professor who asked me to address his media class. That was the class where I mentioned "Wikipedia" and everyone burst out laughing. Small world, isn't it? smile.gif
Moulton

smile.gif

I propose you improve on your previous record by blocking the entire IPv4 network.
victim of censorship
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 14th June 2010, 9:05pm) *

smile.gif

I propose you improve on your previous record by blocking the entire IPv4 network.

I agree, pull the plug from the internet and block wiki from the blue water internet.

I love the sneaky vandalism I am doing on full range of Wiki articles with my ripen, full blooded socks. Blocking only drives me harder and deeper now. To make 5 socks for evey one one gets blocked, and to lift my leg on every tree in the Wikipedia shit hole.
SB_Johnny

smile.gif

The problem with power trips is that there's really not a lot of interesting postcards to send your friends.
Subtle Bee
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 14th June 2010, 4:06pm) *

smile.gif

The problem with power trips is that there's really not a lot of interesting postcards to send your friends.

Wish you were here?
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th June 2010, 7:49pm) *

Eh, sometimes "wireless" just means "20% quicker to steal".

I'd hesitate to dismiss any group of people as "too dumb to edit WP in the first place" on the basis that I'll always find worse. Yet, I'm still not sure what kind of fool carries a laptop or other conspicuous possession into McDonald's. blink.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 14th June 2010, 8:36pm) *

I just got a $15 gift card for Starbucks from the professor who asked me to address his media class. That was the class where I mentioned "Wikipedia" and everyone burst out laughing. Small world, isn't it? smile.gif

Yeah, that'll get you three frappes and some chump change. dry.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Mon 14th June 2010, 4:45pm) *

smile.gif

Wish you were here?

No, the classic is "Weather is here. Wish you were beautiful."
Subtle Bee
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 14th June 2010, 6:22pm) *

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Mon 14th June 2010, 4:45pm) *

Wish you were here?

No, the classic is "Weather is here. Wish you were beautiful."

I actually have that one somewhere.

Anyway, whatever I say is classic. Instantly.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Mon 14th June 2010, 4:04pm) *
I love the sneaky vandalism I am doing on full range of Wiki articles with my ripen, full blooded socks. Blocking only drives me harder and deeper now. To make 5 socks for evey one one gets blocked, and to lift my leg on every tree in the Wikipedia shit hole.

Muah ha ha ha!!
Somey
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Mon 14th June 2010, 6:04pm) *
...I am doing on full range of Wiki articles with my ripen, full blooded socks. Blocking only drives me harder and deeper now...

...and with each long, penetrating thrust of these massively engorged socks, articles are driven to ever-greater heights of furious ecstasy, until finally, like a throbbing, well-oiled machine, the socks and articles reach a frenzied, earth-shattering climax!

Sorry, but someone had to do it, and I figured it might as well be me.
Subtle Bee
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 14th June 2010, 10:57pm) *

QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Mon 14th June 2010, 6:04pm) *
...I am doing on full range of Wiki articles with my ripen, full blooded socks. Blocking only drives me harder and deeper now...

...and with each long, penetrating thrust of these massively engorged socks, articles are driven to ever-greater heights of furious ecstasy, until finally, like a throbbing, well-oiled machine, the socks and articles reach a frenzied, earth-shattering climax!

Sorry, but someone had to do it, and I figured it might as well be me.

yeah, but honestly, without working in at least one scat reference, it just doesn't seem authentic.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Mon 14th June 2010, 4:04pm) *

There is a deep truth to this that the ban hammer happy admins ought to wake up to ... the problem is the younger ones are too young and inexperienced to realise it and the older one apparently just seem so blocked that they just cant realise it. Or perhaps they are all so dumb that they fall into some retarded state, like 2 year olds banging on things, and enjoy do it ... again and again and again.

Honestly, they should make the software 'squeak' every time they ban someone and have a nice big bell ... just like Lloyds ... every time a really big sockpuppeteer is sunk.

What don't they realise? Suppression does not work. it is only a symptom not the cause. Suppression only drives the disease in deeper.

Fine, in 2 or 3 cases out of 100 it MIGHT traumatize some innocent child into inaction ... but for the rest of us, it only empowers us. I mean ... WTF ... WTF is it all about anyway!?!

The root causes can be many ... I would guess a fully righteous total loss of respect would list high amounts them.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
yeah, but honestly, without working in at least one scat reference, it just doesn't seem authentic.

2 Girls 1 Cappuccino?

Straws probably would not work in such a case.
thekohser
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 14th June 2010, 9:11pm) *

I'd hesitate to dismiss any group of people as "too dumb to edit WP in the first place" on the basis that I'll always find worse. Yet, I'm still not sure what kind of fool carries a laptop or other conspicuous possession into McDonald's. blink.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

Some McDonald's are rather nice. I've certainly computed from McDonald's before while traveling on business. I guess I'm a fool.
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th June 2010, 2:53pm) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 14th June 2010, 9:11pm) *

Some McDonald's are rather nice. I've certainly computed from McDonald's before while traveling on business. I guess I'm a fool.

The McDonald's where I drink iced tea and type on my netbook is often wall-to-wall Marines.
It's not exactly a high-crime zone. I'm just another fool.

Now, I'm sure there are any number of sketchy McDonald's - but in most of them the biggest hazard to your health is the food.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th June 2010, 2:53pm) *

That's interesting. I can't recollect seeing padded, movable furniture in a fast-food restaurant. Surprising they'd let people get that comfortable.

dtobias
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Tue 15th June 2010, 8:20am) *

Honestly, they should make the software 'squeak' every time they ban someone and have a nice big bell ... just like Lloyds ... every time a really big sockpuppeteer is sunk.

Every time somebody is banned from Wikipedia, an angel gets his wings! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.