Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joseph Reagle
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Peter Damian
I post here http://ocham.blogspot.com/2010/06/vaknin-a...-wikipedia.html about Sam Vaknin and his recent dispute with Joseph Reagle.

I hadn't heard of Reagle. He is an academic (well, a computer scientist), and seems highly favourable toWikipedia. He is publishing a book about Wikipedia soon. Has anyone else heard of him? The Wikipedia-tagged entries in his blog are here

http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/social/wikipedia/index.html

This sort of confirms a suspicion. People from an IT background or a computing degree tend to like Wikipedia. Those with a background in humanities, don't.
ulsterman
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 20th June 2010, 4:18pm) *

This sort of confirms a suspicion. People from an IT background or a computing degree tend to like Wikipedia. Those with a background in humanities, don't.

I'm not well qualified to judge. However,I suspect that WP computing/IT articles are by and large of a much higher standard than humanities ones. That's for the obvious reason that you get far more well-qualified IT geeks editing seriously than humanities ones. Also, IT people are less likely to be upset by sloppy English than experts in say English literature.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 20th June 2010, 2:50pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 20th June 2010, 4:18pm) *

I'm not well qualified to judge. However,I suspect that WP computing/IT articles are by and large of a much higher standard than humanities ones. That's for the obvious reason that you get far more well-qualified IT geeks editing seriously than humanities ones. Also, IT people are less likely to be upset by sloppy English than experts in say English literature.

Wrong. It is for the same reason geeks play other video games in disproportionate numbers.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 20th June 2010, 11:18am) *

I hadn't heard of Reagle. He is an academic (well, a computer scientist), and seems highly favourable toWikipedia. He is publishing a book about Wikipedia soon. Has anyone else heard of him?

Nope, but I know MIT Press, his publisher, and it is safe to say that this book will get near-zero in the way of publicity (most U.S. academic presses do a horrid job in promoting their titles).

The concept of the book is utterly absurd: "Despite the social unease over its implications for individual autonomy, institutional authority, and the character (and quality) of cultural products, Wikipedia's good faith collaborative culture has brought us closer than ever to a realization of the century-old pursuit of a universal encyclopedia." That sounds like something that Steve Smith would plagiarize write or something that the WMF would pay someone to write.

Reading his blog, it appears that Reagle has purchased the foolishness of what Wikipedia could have been and doesn't see what it really is. The only genuine surprise will be whether it is inferior in depth and scope to Dalby's misguided work.
Moulton
On Science Friday on NPR, host Ira Flatow suggested that the time has come to introduce another term to supplant "geek", and he invited his listeners to make suggestions.

My suggestion was "systems thinkers" (after Simon Baron-Cohen's notion that people with Asperger's Syndrome are "systematizers").

Subjects which are amenable to systematic thinking are well-suited to being written by systems thinkers.

And while I believe that subjects in the Humanities can be given a systematic treatment, they are much more likely to be written by people who are not particularly systematic in their thinking or writing.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th June 2010, 5:44pm) *

On Science Friday on NPR, host Ira Flatow suggested that the time has come to introduce another term to supplant "geek", and he invited his listeners to make suggestions.

My suggestion was "systems thinkers" (after Simon Baron-Cohen's notion that people with Asperger's Syndrome are "systematizers").

Subjects which are amenable to systematic thinking are well-suited to being written by systems thinkers.

And while I believe that subjects in the Humanities can be given a systematic treatment, they are much more likely to be written by people who are not particularly systematic in their thinking or writing.

I think "dweeb" has a better ring to it.
Zoloft
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 20th June 2010, 10:00pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th June 2010, 5:44pm) *

You could shorten "systems thinkers" to "stinkers."
Moulton
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 20th June 2010, 6:00pm) *

Here ya' go.
the_undertow
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th June 2010, 1:44pm) *

Oh Moulton - have you succumbed to such wiki-ideals that you, and all your infinite brain-power, really use quotes in such a defiant way? Are we not better than that, and taught that punctuation belongs within all parameters?
"Love ya dood". biggrin.gif
Moulton
I never can make up my mind on which of those standards to adopt in any given context.
Moulton
Joseph Reagle is the featured thinker in the latest blog post by WMF Executive Director, Sue Gardner...

QUOTE(Sue Gardner's Blog)
What Wikimedia can learn from the Quakers

I never thought much about the Quakers until I read Joseph Reagle‘s excellent new book Good Faith Collaboration: The Culture of Wikipedia (forthcoming from MIT Press in September), in which Joseph references the Quaker consensus decision-making processes – and specifically, how Quakers resolve dissent.

Joseph cites the sociological study Beyond Majority Rule: Voteless Decisions in the Society of Friends – an exploration of Quaker decisionmaking by Jesuit priest Michael J. Sheeran, who had spent two years observing and interviewing Quakers for his Princeton PhD thesis, which afterwards was published by the Quakers and is now considered a definitive guide on the subject.

Sue then goes on to discuss the challenge of Consensus Decision Making (CDM).

The third comment to Sue's blog is from Joseph Reagle.

My own comment is in the moderation queue...

QUOTE(Comment awating moderation)
Barry Kort

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

August 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Building consensus, building community, and building trust are three facets of the challenge in organizing a successful collaboration such as an Online Learning Organization.

For some additional thoughts on this challenge, please see this short summary that I presented 16 years ago at the First ARPA Workshop on Building Online Learning Communities, held at the MIT Endicott House:

Thoughts on Community Building
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 10th August 2010, 8:22am) *

Joseph Reagle is the featured thinker in the latest blog post by WMF Executive Director, Sue Gardner …

QUOTE(Sue Gardner's Blog)

What Wikimedia can learn from the Quakers

I never thought much about the Quakers until I read Joseph Reagle‘s excellent new book Good Faith Collaboration: The Culture of Wikipedia (forthcoming from MIT Press in September), in which Joseph references the Quaker consensus decision-making processes — and specifically, how Quakers resolve dissent.

Joseph cites the sociological study Beyond Majority Rule: Voteless Decisions in the Society of Friends — an exploration of Quaker decisionmaking by Jesuit priest Michael J. Sheeran, who had spent two years observing and interviewing Quakers for his Princeton PhD thesis, which afterwards was published by the Quakers and is now considered a definitive guide on the subject.

Sue then goes on to discuss the challenge of Consensus Decision Making (CDM).

The third comment to Sue's blog is from Joseph Reagle.

My own comment is in the moderation queue …

QUOTE(Comment awaiting moderation)

Barry Kort

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

August 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Building consensus, building community, and building trust are three facets of the challenge in organizing a successful collaboration such as an Online Learning Organization.

For some additional thoughts on this challenge, please see this short summary that I presented 16 years ago at the First ARPA Workshop on Building Online Learning Communities, held at the MIT Endicott House:

Thoughts on Community Building

So it was you!

Well, at least now we know who to blame …

Jon tongue.gif
thekohser
Several of us here live in the Quaker State. Also, my church happens to embrace several former Quakers amidst the congregation. I live only a couple miles from the Birmingham Friends Quaker Meeting, erected in 1763 and utilized as a hospital after 9-11.

(And by 9-11, I mean the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777.)

Sue Gardner is no Quaker.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 10th August 2010, 9:47am) *

Several of us here live in the Quaker State. Also, my church happens to embrace several former Quakers amidst the congregation. I live only a couple miles from the Birmingham Friends Quaker Meeting, erected in 1763 and utilized as a hospital after 9-11.

(And by 9-11, I mean the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777.)

Sue Gardner is no Quaker.

Quaker State?

It's just another source of 40-Weight Snake Oil to her.

Jon tongue.gif
Peter Damian
I just looked at his latest paper in preprint here

http://reagle.org/joseph/2010/06/reagle-nr...llab-norms.html

This gave me a severe attack of 'cognitive dissonance', i.e. the disturbing and disorientating effects of meeting a view of reality that is so different to your own that your whole system of values and judgment is called into question. Is he really talking about Wikipedia?

And I hate that whole social sciences style of writing (Moulton, please don't confuse this kind of stuff with the 'humanities'). E.g. this

Elinor Ostrom’s (1990; 2000) work on institutions and norms has inspired a number of researchers to think of Wikipedia production in terms of the challenges inherent in collective action. For example, Benjamin Johnson (2007) uses Ostrom to characterize Wikipedia vandalism and point-of-view (POV) pushing in terms of public goods and free riding. Additionally, Ostrom notes “communities of individuals have relied on institutions resembling neither the state nor the market to govern some resource systems with reasonable degrees of success over long periods of time” (Ostrom, 1990, p. 1).

Essentially a series of citations from (probably) equally vacuous papers without any attempt at serious analysis or thought.

I commented on his blog here http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/social/wikipedia/nrhm-be-nice .
Moulton
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 17th August 2010, 4:40am) *
I just looked at Joseph Reagle's latest paper in preprint.

This gave me a severe attack of 'cognitive dissonance', i.e. the disturbing and disorientating effects of meeting a view of reality that is so different from your own that your whole system of values and judgment is called into question. Is he really talking about Wikipedia?

And I hate that whole social sciences style of writing (Moulton, please don't confuse this kind of stuff with the 'humanities'). E.g. this...

QUOTE(Excerpt from Joseph Reagle Preprint)
Elinor Ostrom’s (1990; 2000) work on institutions and norms has inspired a number of researchers to think of Wikipedia production in terms of the challenges inherent in collective action. For example, Benjamin Johnson (2007) uses Ostrom to characterize Wikipedia vandalism and point-of-view (POV) pushing in terms of public goods and free riding. Additionally, Ostrom notes “communities of individuals have relied on institutions resembling neither the state nor the market to govern some resource systems with reasonable degrees of success over long periods of time” (Ostrom, 1990, p. 1).

Essentially a series of citations from (probably) equally vacuous papers without any attempt at serious analysis or thought.

I commented on his blog here.

Let's go to the video tape...

QUOTE(Joseph Reagle Preprint)

Wikipedia is acknowledged to have been home to ”some bitter disputes”. Indeed, conflict at Wikipedia is said to be “as addictive as cocaine”. Yet, such observations are not cynical commentary but motivation for a collection of social norms. These norms speak to the intentional stance and communicative behaviors Wikipedians should adopt when interacting with one another. In the following pages, I provide a survey of these norms on the English Wikipedia and argue they can be characterized as supportive based on Jack Gibb’s classic communication article “Defensive Communication”.

Keywords: Wikipedia, prosocial, supportive, collaboration, bumptious communication.

Notably lacking from the bibliographic references is the essential work of Suzette Haden Elgin, The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense, Dorset Press, 1980, and the sequel, More on the Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense, Prentiss-Hall, 1983.

With respect to the motivation and emotion attached to "Defensive Communication," let us not overlook this observation from Sam Vaknin:

QUOTE(Sam Vaknin on Narcissistic Rage)
By holding the critic in contempt, by diminishing the stature of the discordant conversant – the narcissist minimises the impact of the disagreement or criticism on himself. This is a defence mechanism known as cognitive dissonance.

Alas, Joseph Reagle evidently overlooked that (or perhaps bumptiously brushed it aside).
Avirosa
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 17th August 2010, 9:40am) *

And I hate that whole social sciences style of writing (Moulton, please don't confuse this kind of stuff with the 'humanities'). E.g. this

The adopted position is that of 'visitor from Mars' acting as non judgemental observer, with a subsequent sleight of hand effected by shoe horning the 'observations' into concepts pronounced upon by authorities who fit the perspective of the observer. The self same approach is taken by many 'scoiologists of religion' when writing about cults. Social Science - isn't science, its practioners really should bite the bullet and stop the pretence of aping the true sciences and instead accept that, whatever the narrow political nuances of Critical Theory and its identification with one school of (social) philosophy, intellectual endevour demands a Critical approach. Sociology, armed with the (notional) excavation tools of archaeology can achieve useful results, but the bland custard produced by Reagle and his kind just serves as soft marketing for their chosen subjects.

A.virosa
Moulton
QUOTE(Avirosa @ Tue 17th August 2010, 6:55am) *
The adopted position is that of 'visitor from Mars' acting as non-judgmental observer.

That's a clever trope. I'll have to give that a try sometime.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Avirosa @ Tue 17th August 2010, 11:55am) *

bland custard

That's it.
Moulton
Bland Custard's Last Stance

Let's hope that, going forward, Joseph Reagle adds a little more spice to his analysis and kicks it up another notch.
lilburne
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 17th August 2010, 9:40am) *

I just looked at his latest paper in preprint here

http://reagle.org/joseph/2010/06/reagle-nr...llab-norms.html

I commented on his blog here http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/social/wikipedia/nrhm-be-nice .

Why would you think it would be anything other than vacuous twaddle? He's an academic computer scientist, that is all you need to know. The entire discipline descended into twaddle of one sort or another several years ago. I believe they gave up on the 'science' bit vis-a-vis numbers a decade or more ago, and they have since all resorted to psychobabble.
Somey
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 17th August 2010, 12:14pm) *
Why would you think it would be anything other than vacuous twaddle? He's an academic computer scientist, that is all you need to know.

Sure, but to be fair, I don't think he was suggesting it wouldn't be something other than vacuous twaddle. And since he's starting to include the study of Quakers in his academic portfolio, that suggests that he's trying to pass himself off as a social scientist when he really isn't.

Back to the main point though, there's no question that comparing Wikipedia decision-making processes (if you can call them that) to the practices of Quakers is insulting to Quakers. Both Reagle and Sue Gardner should publicly apologize for this, and just be thankful that there probably aren't enough Quakers around to give their cockamamie "theories" much national media attention.

Also, maybe it's time we set up a running blog post here on WR for people to reply to Sue Gardner's blog, since she seems to have discovered that "moderating" comments is a good way to pretend problems don't actually exist.
lilburne
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 8:35pm) *

QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 17th August 2010, 12:14pm) *
Why would you think it would be anything other than vacuous twaddle? He's an academic computer scientist, that is all you need to know.

Back to the main point though, there's no question that comparing Wikipedia decision-making processes (if you can call them that) to the practices of Quakers is insulting to Quakers. Both Reagle and Sue Gardner should publicly apologize for this, and just be thankful that there probably aren't enough Quakers around to give their cockamamie "theories" much national media attention.

Hey what arsehole purged the wiki article on the Quakers to remove all references to the Ranters? damn those two groups were once interchangeable:
http://www.exlibris.org/nonconform/engdis/ranters.html

I'm fairly sure that Abiezer Coppe ended up as a Quaker too.

Somey
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 17th August 2010, 3:35pm) *
Hey what arsehole purged the wiki article on the Quakers to remove all references to the Ranters?

Looks like it was never in there, at least not for any appreciable length of time - have you seen a version of that article that contained such a reference? (A revision search turned up doodley-squat, I'm afraid.)

Of course, if WP's article on the Ranters (T-H-L-K-D) is accurate, then it might not really belong there - after all, it would be unfair to one group to (negatively?) associate them with a second group that they oppose or disdain, merely because the second group claims an affinity with them. It might be fair to mention such claims in the article about the second group, though, if there is one.
Moulton
QUOTE(Posted by Joseph Reagle at Tue Aug 17 08:58:44 2010)
@Peter: The scope of the paper is specific, written Wikipedian interactive norms, which are (seemingly) largely prosocial, though, for example, I mention some of the difficulties associated with neutrality.

@Barry: Thank you for the reference, I've put it in my queue and am looking forward to reading it. It probably would've been handy when I was teaching conflict management as well.

QUOTE(Posted by Seth Finkelstein at Wed Aug 18 08:37:00 2010)
Hmm ... Perhaps I'm criticizing the paper for not being something else, but it struck me as very verbosely establishing very little (though not zero). As in, it could be boiled down to "Wikipedia has a bunch of pages preaching good behavior, here's a list of them". Yes, that's indeed true, it does. And it is significant as a fact compared to some other sites, granted. But ... that doesn't really say much about how much of the list is IN PRACTICE wishful thinking, puffery, someone's attempt at telling people they should be nice, regurgitating platitudes, and so on. I mean, any corporation has a policy manual telling employees something like they should be ethical, respectful, noble and loyal. But one really can't derive much from this in practice.
lilburne
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 10:13pm) *

QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 17th August 2010, 3:35pm) *
Hey what arsehole purged the wiki article on the Quakers to remove all references to the Ranters?

Looks like it was never in there, at least not for any appreciable length of time - have you seen a version of that article that contained such a reference? (A revision search turned up doodley-squat, I'm afraid.)

Of course, if WP's article on the Ranters (T-H-L-K-D) is accurate, then it might not really belong there - after all, it would be unfair to one group to (negatively?) associate them with a second group that they oppose or disdain, merely because the second group claims an affinity with them. It might be fair to mention such claims in the article about the second group, though, if there is one.

Oh I don't know didn't Fox claim to have converted all the Ranters? Now the group that they were most at odds with were the Muggletonians and I think that animosity went on a for a couple of centuries.

Thence slowly on thro' Laytonstone,
Past many a Quaker's box,—
No friends to hunters after deer,
Tho' followers of a Fox.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 5:13pm) *

Of course, if WP's article on the Ranters (T-H-L-K-D) is accurate, then it might not really belong there — after all, it would be unfair to one group to (negatively?) associate them with a second group that they oppose or disdain, merely because the second group claims an affinity with them. It might be fair to mention such claims in the article about the second group, though, if there is one.

But that would mean that some of our Pet WikiPOVists would have to remove anachronistic references to Nazis from the article on Martin Luther — noooo.gif

You sly dog …

Jon tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.