Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: User:Thomas Cook and Son -- blocked!
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
thekohser
J.delanoy seemed to believe that User:Thomas Cook and Son was a sockpuppet. How would one derive a CheckUser ticket for a user like that?
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 29th June 2010, 2:51pm) *

J.delanoy seemed to believe that User:Thomas Cook and Son was a sockpuppet. How would one derive a CheckUser ticket for a user like that?

Any newbie who starts editing articles relating to Wikipedia - let alone openly quizzing Jimbo about his shenanigans -- seems to raise a red flag with Jonny D. I am surprised that the account name didn't get the WP:UAA treatment.
thekohser
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 29th June 2010, 2:58pm) *

Any newbie who starts editing articles relating to Wikipedia - let alone openly quizzing Jimbo about his shenanigans -- seems to raise a red flag with Jonny D. I am surprised that the account name didn't get the WP:UAA treatment.

Newbie? Starts editing? This guy waited about 6 months after his first edit to touch anything Wikipedia-related. I think they're using IP data as fishing expedition material.

If anyone wants to test the theory, loan me your long-time, good-standing User name and password, and I'll get it "under suspicion" and perhaps indefinitely blocked within 24 hours, with no more than correcting one misspelled word somewhere in the encyclopedia.

You have my word that I will not change the password or fail to "return" the account to you after the one edit. Private offers only, please.
Apathetic

So your sock made some edits out-of-the-blue to some obscure page concerning you and you expected not to get bagged?
thekohser
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Tue 29th June 2010, 5:19pm) *

So your sock made some edits out-of-the-blue to some obscure page concerning you and you expected not to get bagged?

I expect that innocent people who might edit a page related to me would not have their privacy invaded and CheckUser policies violated by a dragnet operation.

For instance, was this IP ever given the third degree? Surely they are guilty of something, by your standard Apathetic, no?

What about this one? Maybe a range block of Vodafone New Zealand is in order.

What about this account that attempts to link me to the 1996 Manchester Bombing?

BLOCK 'EM ALL ! ! !

laugh.gif

Jon Awbrey
It's Official —

WP:WAH
Wikipediots Are Hypocrites

Jon dry.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 29th June 2010, 10:24pm) *

What about this account that attempts to link me to the 1996 Manchester Bombing?

What, that wasn't you? ermm.gif
Jon Awbrey

Here lies Thomas Cook and Son —
Their deed is done, their day is run,
But oh, what fun, what fun in the ∑!

thekohser
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 30th June 2010, 11:55am) *

It was not me. I'd never even heard of the Manchester Bombing.
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 30th June 2010, 4:20pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 30th June 2010, 11:55am) *

It was not me. I'd never even heard of the Manchester Bombing.

*peers suspiciously at the suspect*

Have you now or ever been a member of a group that uses force to promote the union of Northern Ireland with the Irish Republic?

*doffs his leprechaun hat and disappears*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.