Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Al Gore
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
Herschelkrustofsky
Although I am enjoying Al's hilarious and by now extremely [ahem] notable sex scandal, there is nary a mention of it at his Wikipedia bio. That's because he is enjoying the full protection of the House POV.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 1st July 2010, 7:15am) *

Although I am enjoying Al's hilarious and by now extremely [ahem] notable sex scandal, there is nary a mention of it at his Wikipedia bio. That's because he is enjoying the full protection of the House POV.

Yep. If it Mel Gibson had been in a sex scandal, there would be an entire subarticle about it by now.

But WP has had its own ox "Gored" in public sex scandles by now, and they're well versed as to how to handle it.

Ottava
Please, please, please, someone get "horny poodle" into Al Gore's lead and have it stick. Thanks. smile.gif

A redirect from the page "horny poodle" to Al Gore would also be nice.
Somey
This is still all "he said she said," isn't it? As long as the article's a BLP, I personally don't care that he's a household name - they're doing the right thing by waiting for some actual proof to turn up.

Admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that he groped the masseuse, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the masseuse is exaggerating things quite a bit here in the hopes of scoring a financial windfall from the tabloids.

Finally, this is an important safety tip for celebrities who are roundly disliked by Corporate America: Always travel with your own masseuse.
TungstenCarbide
3D recreation of the allegations, from a motivated Taiwanese news station;

Milton Roe
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 1st July 2010, 9:23pm) *

Finally, this is an important safety tip for celebrities who are roundly disliked by Corporate America: Always travel with your own masseuse.

That is, if you want a happy ending. smile.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(the oregonian article)

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.s...as_focus_o.html

At that time, police were told the woman didn't want to proceed with a criminal case and would pursue a civil case instead.

If her allegations are true she does society a disservice by making that choice. T$k t$k t$k.

For some reason jackpot justice is still a red link.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 1st July 2010, 9:23pm) *

This is still all "he said she said," isn't it? As long as the article's a BLP, I personally don't care that he's a household name - they're doing the right thing by waiting for some actual proof to turn up.
I should emphasize here that I am not arguing in favor of including Allegations Du Jour in BLP articles; I am merely noting the usual selective application of policy. In reading Kim D. Peterson's comment (As long as no charges have been filed, they are in fact unsubstantiated allegations. If charges are filed - then it is a different matter entirely. This is currently on the same headline/news level as: "I have a baby with X" where X is any prominent person.), I could not help but think of Death of Jeremiah Duggan (T-H-L-K-D).

That being said, I must take note of the fact that the following is comedy gold, especially the background music:
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Thu 1st July 2010, 9:38pm) *

Jagärdu
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 10:56am) *
I am merely noting the usual selective application of policy.

I agree, but the policy should be enforced more rabidly on other BLPs as opposed to the other way around. We're a gossip obsessed culture, and we have a huge media industry supporting this obsession. I'd go so far as to say that "news" items should be kept out of the Wiki entirely,especially if they meet some standard of controversy. The media, including the NYT and other major outlets, get stories wrong all the time. Given enough time these stories sort themselves out. By jumping on hot gossip and current news stories the encyclopedia constantly risks exposing the public to misinformation through a medium that people don't expect misinformation to come from.
UserB
I will ask those on here the same question I asked on the Al Gore talk page - name one a-political or conservative figure in a comparable situation with a comparable level of media coverage where mention of the allegations was not added to the article within a week.

I have long accepted that Wikipedia is going to have a very liberal POV, but this is ridiculous. It has long passed any reasonable threshold of notability. I'm not saying it should be turned into a bio where half of the article is about the allegation. I think it should have 1-2 sentences and link to an article about the story itself.
Selina
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 8:08am) *
QUOTE(the oregonian article)
At that time, police were told the woman didn't want to proceed with a criminal case and would pursue a civil case instead.

If her allegations are true she does society a disservice by making that choice. T$k t$k t$k.

For some reason jackpot justice is still a red link.

That's a good phrase, describes a LOT of tabloid "scandals" (though reserve judgement on this one*), maybe there's something already under Sueing=>for financial benefit or something like that? If not yeah it's about time someone wrote something about that social phenomenon in particular yeah, not sure when it started I'd say 90's it was originally a now and then thing in America you didn't hear about huge compensation/settlement stuff as much, then got serious with stuff like fatties suing mcdonalds then went outwards and upwards...

*(it's about 50:50, on one hand he has character to stand for him as being one of the few "famous" people that give a damn about the ecology of the human habitat, even though he's one of those people who could probably have an actual ivory tower if he wanted - on the other hand this is kinda stereotypical "old rich man"...)

edit: Apparently the story was offered to the media for one million before rather than going to the Police which seems a bit odd but could be just wanted to make the best of a bad thing knowing that it would get investigated and brought to jusice after anyway which is understandable... I won't decide who to get angry at one way another until all the facts are known, though am swaying on the general side of he probably did it since that stereotype exists for a reason. And also after all Michael Jackson escaped justice by paying off the people that accused him of paedophilia to withdraw from the case, same could happen here *if* it's true...
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 12:23am) *

This is still all "he said she said," isn't it?

He said: Hello, mama! evilgrin.gif
She said: Eeek! wtf.gif
UserB
One of the more amusing things about this debate is what one user noticed about [[WP:WELLKNOWN]]. This section of the BLP policy gives as an example of what is appropriate to include in a biography a situation that is almost identical to this one:

Example: A politician is alleged to have had an affair. He denies it, but The New York Times publishes the allegations, and there is a public scandal. The allegation belongs in the biography, citing the New York Times as the source.

Of course, the difference is that in the example, only the NYT has picked up the story, whereas in this case, basically every media outlet has picked it up.
Selina
QUOTE(UserB @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 8:42pm) *
every media outlet has picked it up.

bbc.co.uk/search/news/al_gore tongue.gif
UserB
QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 4:05pm) *

QUOTE(UserB @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 8:42pm) *
every media outlet has picked it up.

bbc.co.uk/search/news/al_gore tongue.gif

Sorry ... basically every American media outlet has picked it up. Heck, MSNBC has picked it up [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/?id=11881780&q=Al+Gore&search=&p=1&st=1&sm=user] and they are probably the most liberal of our media outlets that are considered mainstream. (Although to be fair, I'm sure their website is nothing like Maddow, Olberman, etc.)
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 2nd July 2010, 12:10pm) *
edit: Apparently the story was offered to the media for one million before rather than going to the Police which seems a bit odd

A bit odd?? biggrin.gif
The English gift for understatement, yes?
Subtle Bee
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Thu 1st July 2010, 9:38pm) *

These people are absolute wizards! Communications genius like this should really be in charge of SETI. Brilliant!

TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Fri 23rd July 2010, 8:48pm) *
These people are absolute wizards! Communications genius like this should really be in charge of SETI. Brilliant!

there is a god.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Fri 23rd July 2010, 6:07pm) *

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Fri 23rd July 2010, 8:48pm) *

there is a god.

Watch out for a new poodle trend emerge amongst the furries. Movie at 11.
Herschelkrustofsky
Why is Taiwanese news so much more entertaining than ours? I hope the animation craze catches on over here. In a certain sense, because it is so over the top, it is actually less propagandistic than the Anglo-American news, where it is not always so obvious when images are being used to manipulate the viewer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.