Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ArbCom's no paedophila activists policy?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
carbuncle
In this Foundation-l mailing list discussion from November 2009, Fred Bauder makes reference to a no paedophiles allowed policy formulated by ArbCom:
QUOTE(Fred Bauder)
> Again, I wish to read this policy. Where is it published? And how
> was it established? Did the ArbCom itself author it?

It was authored by the Arbitration Committee and posted on the
Administrators' Noticeboard several years ago. Basically it says don't
discuss issues regarding pedophilia activists on-wiki; send everything to
the Arbitration Committee. This is coupled with a policy of hearing ban
appeals privately.
Can anyone provide a link, or is this misdirection?
Moulton
Well, at least it demonstrates that the presence of pedophilia activists on-wiki was a known problem of sufficient magnitude to require a special action by ArbCom.

And since their solution seems to have vanished down the memory hole, it's probably safe to say their solution was largely ineffective.
Kelly Martin
I vaguely recollect the "policy' Fred talks about; if I recall correctly it was not because of any real concern over pedophiles, but instead because of concerns regarding the possibility of Wikipedians being harassed by people at PervertedJustice. If anything, that policy served to protect pedophiles at Wikipedia.
Moulton
Iatrogenic Remedies

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 5th July 2010, 9:43am) *
If anything, that policy served to protect pedophiles at Wikipedia.

Oh great. The policy was not only ineffective, it was counter-productive.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 5th July 2010, 7:19am) *

Well, at least it demonstrates that the presence of pedophilia activists on-wiki was a known problem of sufficient magnitude to require a special action by ArbCom.

And since their solution seems to have vanished down the memory hole, it's probably safe to say their solution was largely ineffective.

Known and only addressed by user generated content but not real policy. It is as if the WMF board cared no more about this than a dispute over two contending DOBs in a 16th century biography. None of our affair...let them sort it out.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 5th July 2010, 1:43pm) *

I vaguely recollect the "policy' Fred talks about; if I recall correctly it was not because of any real concern over pedophiles, but instead because of concerns regarding the possibility of Wikipedians being harassed by people at PervertedJustice. If anything, that policy served to protect pedophiles at Wikipedia.

It could have been this, which fits with your recollection:
QUOTE(Fred Bauder)
Clarification regarding a self-identified pedophile

Matters of this nature should be addressed by email to individual arbitrators detailing problematic behavior. Please do not place notices on Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard, Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents, or file a request for arbitration. Likewise any concerns regarding actions taken regarding such problems should be emailed to individual arbitrators for private consideration by the Arbitration Committee. Fred Bauder 19:25, 1 March 2007 (UTC)

In September 2006, User:Rookiee was blocked for advocacy of paedophilia and using revolyob as their signature (that's "boylover" backwards). In the resulting discussion at AN/I, Fred Bauder seemed resistant to blocking paedophiles for being paedophiles:
I continue to advance the notion that pedophiles should be blocked on sight. El_C 01:14, 22 September 2006 (UTC)
Where do you draw the line? Fred Bauder 03:51, 22 September 2006 (UTC)

In December 2007, he states on the WikiEN-l mailing list that there is a policy against paedophilia advocacy, yet does not specifically mention self-identification.
QUOTE(Fred Bauder)
> There was a recent ANI post about a user who identifies himself as a
> peodophile (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ANI...dvocacy_userbox
> ). His userbox has been deleted. I'd like to know where we stand in
> relation to peadophiles. Any thoughts or opinions on this subject? I
> know it's difficult, but we really need some kind of policy about this.
>
> Phoenix-wiki

We have a policy. Advocacy of pedophilia is not tolerated, nor is trolling
for partners.

Fred

While I didn't set out to do this, I'm going to abuse this thread to note past proclamations of or hints at this policy, so that they can more easily be found by anyone who might have an interest in reviewing the history.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.