Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiki-cheerleader Turns Government Snitch
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
But he did it to put the interest of many ahead of the interest of one.

How very Spock of him.
Sorry I ruined your career and possibly life for doing the morally right thing...but the needs of the many d00d...

Not to mention the chill effect this will have on other military whistle-blowers in the future.

I was never a big fan of Adrian Lam(e)o, even back in the day when it was hip in teh communitah to be thus. There was always a sanctimonious arrogance about him...a cold detachment from others punctuated at times by Stallman-esque obnoxiousness. His continual endorsement of and participation in teh Wikidpedia did not improve my view, but it was hardly a major reason for my disdain.
Now it is clear to me that underneath his unpleasant veneer lies an even uglier person. A flawed fuck lacking both a moral compass and an empathy chip.
Mr. Lam(e)O, as a hacker, as a journalist and above all as a human being, you fail!
It's a damn pity the government did not come down on you the way it is about to on Bradley Manning.

Cedric
Things that make you go "Hmmmm." It would appear that Mr. Lam[e]o has also been lovingly tending to his own wiki biography (or perhaps I should say autobiography), and to the "Arrest of Bradley Manning" article, upon which he slapped a "NPOV" tag on June 21. Evidently he didn't like the mention of a clear disconnect between his own version of events and that which appeared in some chat logs, as well as Salon's Glenn Greenwald's characterization of him as a "single, extremely untrustworthy source". The tagging did not have the desired effect, in that the current version features the discrepancies more prominently and in more detail than ever. It is always interesting to see the Frei Kultur Kinder turning on one of their own; rather like watching the worker bees pushing the drones out of the hive when the weather turns a bit chilly. ermm.gif

But wait! There's moar! Lam[e]o was to be prominently featured in a documentary called "Hackers Wanted" (original title: "Can You Hack It?"), which was supposed to have been released in 2007 or 2008. Apparently the film's producers, veteran actor Kevin Spacey (who also narrates) and Dana Brunetti, pulled the plug on the film after shooting was complete and refused to negotiate a distribution deal. As a result, the film never saw release. Lam[e]o claimed in an interview that Dana Brunetti had too many "ego conflicts" with the cast and crew, and that was the reason the producers bailed. Color me cynical, but that sounds like a rather Jimboesque bit of eye wash. Might, just might, the real reason be that Spacey and Brunetti discovered what a lying, backstabbing little douche Lam[e]o was during the course of filming, and simply didn't want their names and that of their company (Trigger Street Productions) associated with him? Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

Oh, and to make things even moar interesting, not one but two versions of the never-released film have just recently been leaked to the internet. One has to wonder what differences there are between those two cuts. unsure.gif Lam[e]o said of the leak “I’m saddened that someone saw fit to violate our confidentiality . . . .” Whatsamotta Adrian? Don't you know that "information wants to be free"?

Asshole.
GlassBeadGame
You would think that being sentenced to six months detention in his parents basement at age 23 would be enough to silence him with cliched embarrassment.
EricBarbour
Golly.....nothing says "arrogant douchebag" quite like this.

Especially when the little bastard openly edits it himself.

28k+ bytes, and here's Jimbo, kissing his ass.

(Do you realize that Lamo's got one of the oldest BLPs on Wikipedia?
It was created by an IP address on 24 December 2001.)
Zoloft
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 8th July 2010, 3:58am) *

Ha! Within a few hours of creation... Larry Sanger:
"Um, can we clean up the above puff job, please?"
QUOTE(Cedric @ Wed 7th July 2010, 6:27pm) *

Might, just might, the real reason be that Spacey and Brunetti discovered what a lying, backstabbing little douche Lam[e]o was during the course of filming, and simply didn't want their names and that of their company (Trigger Street Productions) associated with him? Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

Oh, and to make things even moar interesting, not one but two versions of the never-released film have just recently been leaked to the internet. One has to wonder what differences there are between those two cuts. unsure.gif Lam[e]o said of the leak “I’m saddened that someone saw fit to violate our confidentiality . . . .” Whatsamotta Adrian? Don't you know that "information wants to be free"?

Asshole.

It's a good thing Lam[e]0 wasn't around back in the days of Daniel Ellsberg and the My Lai Massacre.

Can you imagine it-"I acted in the interests of the many to save lives. I'm not the villain here! I'm the hero! The government says so...see my medal!"

Perhaps Spacey and Brunetti discovered also, that in real life hackers are not the fun, precocious, well-meaning kids they are in the movies. Some are really sick, sad specimens of humanity. A fact I quickly learned at my first BBS party.

Alas... how terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise, Johnny?
--Louis Cyphre

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 7th July 2010, 8:49pm) *

You would think that being sentenced to six months detention in his parents basement at age 23 would be enough to silence him with cliched embarrassment.

You are assuming he has some sort of internal shame chip...
FILE NOT FOUND.

Clearly he, Jimbozo and Weakapedia deserve one another.
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Thu 8th July 2010, 4:33am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 8th July 2010, 3:58am) *

Ha! Within a few hours of creation... Larry Sanger:
"Um, can we clean up the above puff job, please?"

Interesting too that Lam[e]0's bio is now one of the chosen few to have the shiny new pending protection level, along with Jimbeau's sometime gal-pal Wendy (Shine on you crazy...) Diamond's.
Talk about a fluff piece...Woof!

Yet when I proposed that the same courtesy be extended to Massah Wales' beloved BLP too, it was quickly shot down by an apparatchnik.

So because Jimmy's bio is a frequent vandal target it's a bad candidate for the pending changes experiment. Yet Lam[e]0's, who thanks to his recent actions is now also prime vandal territory, somehow is worthy. Maybe I'd be less bothered if I simply stopped trying to find a rhyme or reason to teh Weakopedia.
bored.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.