Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What working for Wikipedia taught me about collaboration
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
What working for Wikipedia taught me about collaboration

by Sandra Ordonez, at PBS.org

...the biggest concern was that Essjay had used his false credentials in content disputes. It was apparent to me that there was never any malice or hidden agenda. Essjay himself had revealed his real credentials on his user profile when he was hired by Wikia, a company owned by Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales. In fact, in the months that followed, I found the community became self-correcting by encouraging the use of real names and identities. It found a way to help prevent this type of issue from happening again.

Is she stupid or delusional? Let's load up those Comments, folks.
Moulton
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 16th July 2010, 11:14pm) *

Cue up The Mistako by Dilbert and Sullivan.
GlassBeadGame
Well imagine a world in which not everyone at Fox is an idiot and some people at PBS are fools. Live and learn.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 16th July 2010, 8:14pm) *

...the biggest concern was that Essjay had used his false credentials in content disputes. It was apparent to me that there was never any malice or hidden agenda. Essjay himself had revealed his real credentials on his user profile when he was hired by Wikia, a company owned by Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales. In fact, in the months that followed, I found the community became self-correcting by encouraging the use of real names and identities. It found a way to help prevent this type of issue from happening again.

Hard to imagine this, given as how we know that PBS is a pure intellectual meritocracy.

Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 17th July 2010, 4:14am) *

But she does admit there was 'lying'. So, there was lying, but there was no malice nor any hidden agenda.

In my book, stupid and delusional go very well together. I mean, if we draw a Venn diagram for stupid, it does not entirely overlap with delusional, but there's quite a fat wedge in between. Does that help?

(My husband is a philosophy professor, which means I regularly meet academics who are quick to point out how "surprisingly accurate" the site is, and how fascinated they are with how it has impacted how our society views information.)

If he is a philosophy professor, did he somehow overlook the article on Philosophy? The one that philosophy professors show their students in order to prove how bad Wikipedia is? Or is he delusional and stupid as well?

Philosophy I'm a philosopher; why don't I edit the article on my subject? Because it's hopeless. I've tried at various times, and each time have given up in depressed disgust. Philosophy seems to attract aggressive zealots who know a little (often a very little), who lack understanding of key concepts, terms, etc., and who attempt to take over the article (and its Talk page) with rambling, ground-shifting, often barely comprehensible rants against those who disagree with them. Life's too short. I just tell my students and anyone else I know not to read the Wikipedia article except for a laugh. It's one of those areas where the ochlocratic nature of Wikipedia really comes a cropper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mel_Etit...r_some_moans.29

Now that's more like it.
Peter Damian
And assuming Ordonez is her married name, who actually is her husband? Neither the USF at Tampa, nor Tampa university philosophy depts have a Dr or Professor Ordonez. A search on the Florida Philosophy Association reveals no such person. Who is Ms Ordonez' husband?
Moulton
I just sent Sandra an alert on her Facebook page that her article is being discussed here.
Peter Damian
Greg says

All of the parts of their brain that handle critical thinking and objective reasoning have been scooped out and replaced with happy wiki thoughts.

Disturbing to visualise but true.

Also disturbing is what Sage Ross says here

Emotionally, though, I felt that Wikipedia–or rather, the Wikipedians–win in a landslide.

Think exactly what he is saying here. Think of historical parallels.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 16th July 2010, 11:14pm) *

The biggest concern was that Essjay had used his false credentials in content disputes. It was apparent to me that there was never any malice or hidden agenda. Essjay himself had revealed his real credentials on his user profile when he was hired by Wikia, a company owned by Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales. In fact, in the months that followed, I found the community became self-correcting by encouraging the use of real names and identities. It found a way to help prevent this type of issue from happening again.

A person who writes a Big Lie like that is one of three things:
  1. Evil
  2. Ignorant
  3. So tunnel-visioned to what she imagines her short-term interests to be that she cannot see either her own long-term interests or those of the society in which her long-term interests ought to reside.
Being a naturally charitable guy, I will naturally choose the most charitable interpretation, reserving the right to update my assumptions in accord with accumulating data.

Jon Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.