Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Academic wiki wanking
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
I saw Nihiltres spouting off about how wonderful is the visualization work of Chris Harrison at Carnegie-Mellon.

Thing is, how does something like this actually help human understanding of Wikipedia?

I also note something Chris Harrison says on his web page:

Wikipedia is an interesting dataset for visualization. As an encyclopedia, it's articles span millions of topics.
Moulton
Except for the period and the comma, the apostrophe is the smallest glyph in the ASCII character set. Some of you may also recall that the apostrophe was the shortest non-null reason ever posted in a log to explain an administrative action. When Jimbo deleted the pages in my userspace on Wikiversity, he posted as his reason the 1-character entry consisting of the apostrophe character.

In Greek Theater, "apostrophe" is a stage direction that means "turning away" (meaning that the actor, who normally faces the Greek Chorus, should turn away, as if they are thinking out loud with no one listening). It's the equivalent of a "thought bubble" in the comics.

Perhaps by posting the apostrophe, Jimbo intended to signal that he was turning away from my posted objectives of promoting accuracy, excellence, and ethics in online media.
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 19th July 2010, 1:42pm) *

I saw Nihiltres spouting off about how wonderful is the visualization work of Chris Harrison at Carnegie-Mellon.

Thing is, how does something like this actually help human understanding of Wikipedia?

Wikipedia is an interesting dataset for visualization. As an encyclopedia, it's articles span millions of topics.

The punctuation, grammar, and word usage in that article stink. But I find the data visualization interesting. It's not just Wikipedia, you know. He also creatively visualized data from Digg, Google, Amazon, and the Bible.
John Limey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 19th July 2010, 2:42pm) *

In my experience, there are few academics who study Wikipedia. Instead, most papers written about Wikipedia tend to treat it as an interesting data set for this or that (e.g., visualization). Wikipedia as such is not a particularly interesting thing to study, and only a few people have really looked at it that way.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 19th July 2010, 9:42am) *

Ten years into the “tenure” of Wikipedia — we find that e-cademics and e-columnists alike still prefer the remote observation platforms of the Plutonian Astronomer to anything that smacks of nitty-gritty anthro-soc field work.

Those of us who — willye, nillye — got to know Wikiputia, up close and personally attacked, can heartily sympathize with that wish.

But who is going to do the job that real research and real reporting demands?

Jon Awbrey
Jon Awbrey
Latest video from Yer Average Academic Wikipedant Confab (YAAWC)

Short Clip

Long Version

It'd be funny if it weren't so true …

Jon sick.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(lilburne @ Wed 21st July 2010, 2:05am) *

I tried to look at that monstrous JPEG, and it crashed my computer. Swap-file hell.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 5:52am) *

I tried to look at that monstrous JPEG, and it crashed my computer. Swap-file hell.

I had the same experience. NSFCPU.
lilburne
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 1:38pm) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 5:52am) *

I had the same experience. NSFCPU.

Yesterday Firefox was reporting "Can't display as file contains errors!" Whilst IE made a gallant attempt but it all went titsup after 10 minutes.
Deskana
QUOTE(lilburne @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 2:12pm) *

Yesterday Firefox was reporting "Can't display as file contains errors!" Whilst IE made a gallant attempt but it all went titsup after 10 minutes.

It loaded without incident for me.
Somey
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Mon 19th July 2010, 10:59am) *
The punctuation, grammar, and word usage in that article stink.

You said it!
QUOTE(TFA)
During my time at AT&T Labs, which coincidently has a great information visualization group, I started think about how to visualizing something as massive as Wikipedia.

But I find the data visualization interesting....

I agree that it's interesting, but nowhere in the explanatory material does he state the obvious caveat here, which is that in terms of article and category count, Wikipedia is almost overwhelmingly slated towards popular culture topics. Moreover, there's the "Blofeld Slant Effect," whereby large numbers of mass-generated stubs slant results like this toward things that are sourced to mere lists, such as all the small towns in some state or all the members of some country's parliament or military establishment. These articles often have little useful content and get relatively little editing on an ongoing basis; they aren't really reflective of "human knowledge" at all, but I wouldn't imagine that a visualization scheme like this takes any of that into account. How could it, without a prohibitive amount of human intervention?
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 9:52am) *

Whatever serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value this diagram might hold is forfeited by storing it in a raster format. At least with an .svg you could search for titles of interest.
Deskana
There's some really quite ridiculous things in there.

Fictional rodents? Famous elephants?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.