Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What I did on my summer vacation, By David Shankbone
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > David Shankbone
carbuncle
Are Michael Lucas and David Shankbone friends at last?

David Shankbone, 3 October 2009:
My only association with Lucas is via my work on Wikimedia, of which he is a big supporter of the free knowledge movement (he has given us quite a few high quality, professional images).

While I was a guest of Lucas and his husband, a prominent businessman, it was for Wikimedia and the creative commons. I walked around with a camera the entire time. I was probably an annoyance. They hosted three different groups of people, and we all did our own thing and barely saw one another. Lucas is not a friend, he's an acquaintance.

David Shankbone, 12 July 2010
QUOTE(David Shankbone)
On July 9th I turned 36 and I had a free invitation to spend it at the home of Michael Lucas. It was an amazing birthday full of new friends. I took Ernesto Altamarino with me , who is also the man who illustrates the body on Wikipedia (his teeth are used as a perfect illustration well-formed human teeth on over 40 Wikimedia projects).

It is nice to see Shankbone finally allowing himself to acknowledge what has been clear for some time - his relationship with Michael Lucas is more than simply professional acquaintance. Professional acquaintances don't invite you to spend your birthday at their Fire Island home.

But what's this? The version that now appears on Shankbone's blog seems to have been edited slightly:
QUOTE(David Shankbone)
On July 9th I turned 36 and I was invited to spend it on Fire Island. It was an amazing birthday full of new and old friends. I took Ernesto Altamarino with me, who is also the model I used to illustrates the body on Wikipedia (his teeth are used as a perfect illustration well-formed human teeth on over 40 Wikimedia projects).
I'm really not sure who Shankbone is trying to fool anymore or why.

p.s. A belated happy birthday, David!
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 20th July 2010, 5:41pm) *

And more power to him! He doesn't look a day over 40! smile.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 20th July 2010, 9:41pm) *

Are Michael Lucas and David Shankbone friends at last?

...While I was a guest of Lucas and his husband, a prominent businessman, it was for Wikimedia and the creative commons....

(Doncha just love how DS thinks that the creative commons is the same thing as Wikimedia commons and not a free-content license?)

Yeah, Happy Birthday, Dave!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.