Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Big Unsolved Problemâ„¢
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
Moulton

Puzzles worthy of attack

Prove their worth by hitting back

--Piet Hine

Elsewhere in these pages, we have struggled to find more creative and effective ways to address a litany of challenging and persistent problems with WikiCulture.

We have a bit of a respite here, a week-long vacation from one of the more vocal vectors who transmits many such problems in our general direction.

So let's have a chautauqua, a retreat, to see if we can devise some more creative and innovative approaches to recrafting this increasingly tedious and banal drama. Let's come up with a new ending for the song that never ends.

Who's game?
Jon Awbrey
Maybe someday you'll fold up your beret, your monocle, your cigarette holder, and your director's chair and put your systems thinking cap back on, and then it may be worthwhile trying to work with you …

But I'm not holding my breath —

Jon sick.gif
Moulton
That Jonny. He's always feinting.
Cla68
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 21st July 2010, 11:52am) *

Puzzles worthy of attack

Prove their worth by hitting back

--Piet Hine

Elsewhere in these pages, we have struggled to find more creative and effective ways to address a litany of challenging and persistent problems with WikiCulture.

We have a bit of a respite here, a week-long vacation from one of the more vocal vectors who transmits many such problems in our general direction.

So let's have a chautauqua, a retreat, to see if we can devise some more creative and innovative approaches to recrafting this increasingly tedious and banal drama. Let's come up with a new ending for the song that never ends.

Who's game?

I'm game. As I commented here, one of Wikipedia's problems is that there isn't a forum, besides ArbCom, to determine when Wikipedia's editors are violating basic human decency (ethics), even if they aren't technically violating any of Wikipedia's policies or guidelines.

In my opinion, Wikipedia needs some kind of ethics oversight board. A board comprised of members who don't or can't edit Wikipedia but are familiar with it, such as many of the participants in this august forum, might be one way to approach it.
Moulton
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 12:39am) *
In my opinion, Wikipedia needs some kind of ethics oversight board. A board comprised of members who don't or can't edit Wikipedia but are familiar with it, such as many of the participants in this august forum, might be one way to approach it.

Yes. And ArbCom clearly doesn't have the scope, the mandate, or cojones to do that.

From your ArbCom discussion link...

QUOTE(ArbCom Discussion of Proposed Principles)
Since ArbCom is charged with governing user conduct, then it falls within their remit to make statements of opinion on ethical standards for Wikipedia editor behavior. Ethical conduct is more than simply complying with the letter of Wikipedia's policies, but requires a higher standard of behavior in which we conduct ourselves in a manner which will not bring the project into disrepute, whether we are technically following the rules or not. Cla68 (talk) 04:24, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

Interesting notion, but difficult to deal with in the abstract. ScottyBerg (talk) 12:18, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

I don't quite understand what the principle should be here. I have, however, always held that we should not penalize editors for editing under real names or identifiable identities. --Stephan Schulz (talk) 12:29, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

True. I think that you'd also define need to define "ethics." ScottyBerg (talk) 13:29, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

[Yada yada yada]

As you may know, a handful of us sought to construct a general workshop on Managerial Ethics over on Wikiversity.

And as you may also recall, Jimbo (prompted by the corrupt editors of IDCab) came galumphing into Wikiversity and shut down the project, declaring studies of Wikimedia Ethics to be "beyond the scope of the project." He called me a "jackass" for having the temerity to propose ethical standards and personally site-banned me from all WMF-sponsored sites.

So yes, I welcome your expert good offices in thinking more creatively about how to introduce the fundamentals of managerial ethics into a culture that is manifestly allergic to learning even the most elementary notions of ethical responsibility.
Cla68
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 5:37am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 12:39am) *

Yes. And ArbCom clearly doesn't have the scope, the mandate, or cojones to do that.

From your ArbCom discussion link...

QUOTE(ArbCom Discussion of Proposed Principles)
Since ArbCom is charged with governing user conduct, then it falls within their remit to make statements of opinion on ethical standards for Wikipedia editor behavior. Ethical conduct is more than simply complying with the letter of Wikipedia's policies, but requires a higher standard of behavior in which we conduct ourselves in a manner which will not bring the project into disrepute, whether we are technically following the rules or not. Cla68 (talk) 04:24, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

Interesting notion, but difficult to deal with in the abstract. ScottyBerg (talk) 12:18, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

I don't quite understand what the principle should be here. I have, however, always held that we should not penalize editors for editing under real names or identifiable identities. --Stephan Schulz (talk) 12:29, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

True. I think that you'd also define need to define "ethics." ScottyBerg (talk) 13:29, 9 July 2010 (UTC)

[Yada yada yada]

As you may know, a handful of us sought to construct a general workshop on Managerial Ethics over on Wikiversity.

And as you may also recall, Jimbo (prompted by the corrupt editors of IDCab) came galumphing into Wikiversity and shut down the project, declaring studies of Wikimedia Ethics to be "beyond the scope of the project." He called me a "jackass" for having the temerity to propose ethical standards and personally site-banned me from all WMF-sponsored sites.

So yes, I welcome your expert good offices in thinking more creatively about how to introduce the fundamentals of managerial ethics into a culture that is manifestly allergic to learning even the most elementary notions of ethical responsibility.

Well, you all did make some progress on the idea. If any of the participants are still allowed to edit Wikiversity, I hope they'll jump back in sometime and try to complete a proposed plan of action with recommendations for how to install an ethics governance body within Wikimedia.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 3:00am) *

Well, you all did make some progress on the idea. If any of the participants are still allowed to edit Wikiversity, I hope they'll jump back in sometime and try to complete a proposed plan of action with recommendations for how to install an ethics governance body within Wikimedia.

I don't think WV is a good place for that: the bosses (both big and little) seem to be very much in the "nip it in the bud" mindset, so continuing the work there would involve a lot of walking on eggshells.

It would also be difficult to avoid being sucked into the great WV drama engine, which of course would suck up all of your time and thus prevent you from working much at all, let alone working while walking on eggshells.
Zoloft
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 9:39am) *

I don't think WV is a good place for that: the bosses (both big and little) seem to be very much in the "nip it in the bud" mindset, so continuing the work there would involve a lot of walking on eggshells.

It would also be difficult to avoid being sucked into the great WV drama engine, which of course would suck up all of your time and thus prevent you from working much at all, let alone working while walking on eggshells.

If someone (even me) registered a domain and installed collaboration software (such as PHPBBS & Joomla!) and established private and public document creation areas for cooperative work such as this, and established the site prepaid for five years, would anyone come to such a place to develop this into a working Ethics Board?

More importantly, would anyone back at Wikipedia pay attention?
Moulton
Shpilkes in the Geneckteckessoink

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 5:39am) *

Here is evidence to support SB Johnny's view...

Greg Kohs was among those who worked on the course on Managerial Ethics. Like me, he was site-banned by Jimbo, and his SUL is globally locked (just like mine). To get around the global SUL lock, Greg created a declared sock puppet that would be detached from the SUL matrix. Greg has been trying to work within the bureaucracy to resume editing at WV under his declared sockpuppet account. Here is the latest bureaucratic maneuver, posted just a few hours ago...

QUOTE(WV Custodian Adam Brookes to WV Custodan Abd)
User talk:Ethical Accountability

I note that you have unblocked this account on the basis that Thekohser has demonstrated good behaviour. You seem to have overlooked my recent comments where I suggested that it was probably of little value in determining whether someone should participate because if they want to be unblocked they'll just comply with what is being asked and avoid anything uncontroversial. It doesn't show that they will actually behave appropriately when they are unblocked or handle future difficult situations appropriately. That Thekohser has therefore made a few edits which he's reverted himself does not merit unblocking, particularly not of this account. Thekohser already has an account on Wikiversity, User:Thekohser, and he should be enabled to use that, as he has indicated he prefers, rather than this new account with its questionable username. As I have explained, I believe a local 'crat can detach User:Thekohser from the global account getting around the global lock. I would like to see consensus that Thekohser should be allowed to particpate here. That same consensus could be used to convince a 'crat to act to sort out Thekohser's proper account. If you think, based upon the recent experience, that Thekohser should be allowed to participate then please raise that for the community to discuss. I'm quite uncomfortable with the situation where we have probationary custodians acting with an apparent lack of community consensus, getting involved in some quite complicated controversial issues and suggesting rather unorthodox measures to deal with those situations, User:Ethical Accountability being an example. Whilst I welcome the fresh ideas that you are bringing, I would appreciate if you could slow down and ensure the community is keeping up with things. There is no reason as I see it to start unblocking Thekohser, or rather this alternative account, before a community discussion to assess recent developments and so I intend to reinstate the block. The little Moulton experiment involving User:Caprice seems to have possibly inflamed the Moulton situation rather than resolved it. Whilst I think that is more to do with Moulton than the method that was being employed to try to negotiate with him about a possible unblock, it has demonstrated some of the potential problems here. Discuss this more with the community and things might go more smoothly. Adambro 09:25, 22 July 2010 (UTC)

And, indeed, Adam did summarily and unilaterally reblock Greg's new declared sock, User:Ethical Accountability, this morning, with the annotation, "reinstate per concerns at User talk:Abd."

Greg is clearly a pawn on a very slow-moving chess board.

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 5:39am) *

In case readers here do not recognize the term of art "walking on eggshells" its a reference to dealing with extremely obnoxious people who are known to be suffering from Cluster B Personality Disorders. People like that are so obnoxious, they quite literally make you sick. This morning, JWSchmidt had to go vomit after he looked at the Recent Changes. I, too, heaved buckets of stomach acid when I was dealing with this tsuris two summers ago.

Walking on Eggshells - Sandy Skoglund (1997)
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 7:24am) *

If someone (even me) registered a domain and installed collaboration software (such as PHPBBS & Joomla!) and established private and public document creation areas for cooperative work such as this, and established the site prepaid for five years, would anyone come to such a place to develop this into a working Ethics Board?

Barry has been slowly adapting the WV stuff here, but it hasn't really taken off (yet). There was some discussion early on about making a protected namespace for it (where only members of certain usergroups would be able to read and/or write), but nobody seemed to think it was necessary to do so.

Probably not, but I suppose that would depend on the quality (and tone) of the finished product.
Moulton
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

QUOTE(Greensboro Civil Rights Study Project analyses Adam's post)
The above analysis from Adam is an example of the Double Bind ("damned if you do, damned if you don't). Greg Kohs approached his unblock request with obsequious obedience to the four custodians. Obviously, obsequious obedience is not a viable option. Moulton, on the other hand, adopted the opposite approach, conscientious civil disobedience, in the spirit of the teachings of Henry David Thoreau, Mohandas K. Gandhi, and Martin Luther King. Not surprisingly, Moulton's method was also fruitless. It appears to this observer that the ineluctable conclusion is that the cards are stacked against Greg and Barry, and that nothing they do, ranging from obsequious obedience to defiant disobedience has a prayer of working here. --Greensboro Civil Rights Study Project 12:40, 22 July 2010 (UTC)

Please discuss. Is the above analysis correct? If not what is being overlooked here?
thekohser

It would depend, for me, on the real-name reputation of the governor of that site. I wouldn't work too hard on a site hosted by "Zoloft".
thekohser
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 7:47am) *

On the surface, it would appear that Abd is acting as a gentle, inclusive facilitator; while Adambro is acting as a rash, exclusionary automaton.

However, it's possible if you scratch below the surface, Adambro is merely advocating for a more direct approach -- find a Bureaucrat who will un-lock the SUL for User:Thekohser, and just settle the matter between me and my nemesis Jimmy Wales, once and for all. If I "behave" on Wikiversity, I win and Jimmy loses. If I can't "behave", then I lose and Jimmy wins. If I "behave", but then Jimmy re-introduces himself into the battle, then I really, really win and Jimmy really, really looks like a pathetic loser.

I've described my situation on Wikiversity more mildly here.
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 1:00pm) *

It would depend, for me, on the real-name reputation of the governor of that site. I wouldn't work too hard on a site hosted by "Zoloft".

A reasonable statement. If I set up a site like that, it would:
A) Be registered under my real name.
B) Be administered by a set of users selected by the participants.
C) The host credentials transferred to a third party agreeable to the founders.
Moulton
I have two such sites installed at the Utah State University School of Journalism, where my faculty colleague there teaches Online Journalism and Mass Media Ethics.

One installation uses WordPress with BuddyPress. The other uses Elgg.

Would either of those installations be of interest?
thekohser
I think there's no shortage of website installations where good and productive things can be done.

I think the shortage is in number of people willing and able to make a dedicated commitment to something that will last, and for which they will receive appropriate credit and gratitude.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 12:04pm) *

I think there's no shortage of website installations where good and productive things can be done.

I think the shortage is in number of people willing and able to make a dedicated commitment to something that will last, and for which they will receive appropriate credit and gratitude.

Then there's the XS of techno-geeks who have snatched a few buzzbits of social science jargon out of the airwaves wave.gif and φancy themselves e-minently qualified thereby to bring the Twint Tablets of the New Mosaic to all mankind.

Jon tongue.gif
Abd
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 8:45am) *
Perhaps. More likely, there is no player (other than the pawns themselves). Everything happening on Wikiversity now -- with respect to this affair -- is easily explained by some combination of stupidity and stubborn persistence in prior decisions.

Notice that I'm on wikibreak. It's real, and the mess got so intense that I concluded it was hopeless to try to make even a few comments at this point. Nevertheless, mess included, I see that progress has been made.

Both Moulton and Thekohser are now blocked by local custodians, not by Jimbo. Adambro and Darklama are still burbling about how the real "block" is the "global lock," but it is quite likely that if WV finds consensus, a steward will lift the block. I asked Mike.lifeguard about it, and it was clear to me that actually challenging the lock without first having consensus was futile. So how to find consensus?

The case of Barry (Moulton) and Greg (Thekohser), on the face, were quite different, similar almost exclusively in that both are critics of the wikis, and both were blocked by Jimbo. Moulton, however, was clearly considered disruptive by many Wikiversitans, or at least some within the remaining custodial core. I would not have attempted to deal with the Moulton case first. I started with Thekohser, because there was never a local consensus to block Thekohser, and quite a bit of sentiment against it. Greg fully cooperated with my efforts. He could have contributed content on his Talk page, as suggested by Ottava, but I proposed he use self-reversion.

Self-reversion worked. The content was created and self-reverted. Nobody bothered the sock IP, even though it was clearly identified in the edits as being Thekohser. The content was good, as far as I could see, and nobody has complained about it. Self-reversion is much more efficient than creating content in one place to be put elsewhere. Self-reversion also works much better for ordinary small edits. The point of self-reversion was to be cooperative with a ban, which sounds counter-intuitive, but if anything could demonstrate cooperation, this is it.

Meanwhile, Diego Grez, rather naively, I think, set up an alternate account for Moulton, Caprice, doing pretty much what I'd done with Thekohser, an acknowledged sock (Ethical Accountability), with a block allowing only Talk page editing. Both of these then bypassed the global lock. This was, by the way, noticed by at least one steward. None acted to interdict it. Earlier, a Kohser sock had been locked by Mike.lifeguard, so it's not like they weren't paying any attention.

Moulton had not asked to be unblocked, and was thus under no obligation to cooperate at all. That point has been missed! Moulton simply continued to act like Moulton. I did unblock Moulton's sock, Caprice, since Moulton had been unblocked by Diego. Consistency, eh? At one point Moulton was completely unblocked, but, of course, the Moulton account couldn't be used because of the global lock. It seems to me that Moulton unblocked was perhaps slightly more cooperative and expressing some reasonable position, but I haven't analyzed it in detail. I was hoping that the custodians would hold off on blocking Moulton until there was some *actual cause.* Not just inertia. Part of the point is that blocking him doesn't really do any good except it legitimates reverting all his edits. I don't see a consensus possible at this time for unblocking, but maybe it could come *if Moulton wants it and cooperates.*

Thekohser, however, was fully cooperative, was not under any kind of community ban on Wikiversity, had not misbehaved in any blockable way, AFAIK, back in March. That's why people were so upset then!

So the situation now is that Thekohser has been blocked again for no misbehavior at all. It's now radically out of process, starting to justify JWS's complaints. It is almost as if the severity of his prior complaints created the response, not an unreasonable hypothesis. (Complain bitterly that someone is an asshole, don't be surprised if they then act like an asshole.)
On the surface, it would appear that Abd is acting as a gentle, inclusive facilitator; while Adambro is acting as a rash, exclusionary automaton.
I've seen some depth in Adambro, but he's not there now. He was more or less correct in his enforcement of the Moulton blocks, but sometimes excessive. I was perfectly willing to cooperate with him on that. However, I see no reason at all for his block of Thekohser's acknowledged sock. "Lack of consensus" is the opposite of a reason for a block!

However, it's possible if you scratch below the surface, Adambro is merely advocating for a more direct approach -- find a Bureaucrat who will un-lock the SUL for User:Thekohser, and just settle the matter between me and my nemesis Jimmy Wales, once and for all.
Problem is, I'm pretty sure that a steward will require a local consensus first. And getting a real consensus on WV is like pulling teeth. I was looking for an operational consensus, i.e., an active account that was not causing problems, and then, in that context, getting a local consensus would be much easier.
If I "behave" on Wikiversity, I win and Jimmy loses. If I can't "behave", then I lose and Jimmy wins. If I "behave", but then Jimmy re-introduces himself into the battle, then I really, really win and Jimmy really, really looks like a pathetic loser.
That's correct. But my "game" really has nothing to do with Jimbo and everything to do with how wikis operate (and could operate if tweaked). Jimbo is not going to intervene with tools. He might intervene with advice, which could be very interesting. I would not care to predict it. Wikiversity, right now, is probably very low on his list of priorities!
I've described my situation on Wikiversity more mildly here.
Steady on, Greg. You are, actually, winning. Stay the course. I really wonder what they were thinking, Ottava and Adambro.... did they think I'd allow you to stir up trouble?

Look, in the long run, Wikiversity and the WMF need cogent criticism. Part of the problem was a lack of ethical guidelines covering how criticism of the wikis would be handled. Absolutely, I'd like to see the best critics of the wikis re-integrated into the community. There are ways to do it, I believe. But they will require some shifts in attitude.
Moulton
QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 9:58pm) *
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 8:45am) *
Perhaps. More likely, there is no player (other than the pawns themselves). Everything happening on Wikiversity now -- with respect to this affair -- is easily explained by some combination of stupidity and stubborn persistence in prior decisions.

That's a reasonably fair observation, but there is more going on, just beneath the surface, that may not be so obvious to the casual observer.

Both Moulton and Thekohser are now blocked by local custodians, not by Jimbo. Adambro and Darklama are still burbling about how the real "block" is the "global lock," but it is quite likely that if WV finds consensus, a steward will lift the block. I asked Mike.lifeguard about it, and it was clear to me that actually challenging the lock without first having consensus was futile. So how to find consensus?

One of the theses I put forth two years ago is that on almost any controversial issue, you almost surely cannot find consensus (at least in the short term). Thus the status quo (whatever it happens to be) tends to persist.

The case of Barry (Moulton) and Greg (Thekohser), on the face, were quite different, similar almost exclusively in that both are critics of the wikis, and both were blocked by Jimbo. Moulton, however, was clearly considered disruptive by many Wikiversitans, or at least some within the remaining custodial core.

I am first and foremost a science educator. Science has a long and turbulent history of disrupting commonly held beliefs. Galileo and Darwin are probably the most notable of these in the annals of science, but leaving aside their notoriety, their stories are not particularly unique.

Moulton had not asked to be unblocked, and was thus under no obligation to cooperate at all. That point has been missed!

Yes. Look at how many Custocrats agonized over answering a question I never asked. There are several important reasons why (unlike Greg) I did not ask to be unblocked. I wonder how many of those reasons the involved parties can articulate.

Part of the point is that blocking Moulton doesn't really do any good except it legitimates reverting all his edits.

And there is but one Custodian who avails himself of that gambit. Whodat? And whydat?

So the situation now is that Thekohser has been blocked again for no misbehavior at all. It's now radically out of process, starting to justify JWS's complaints.

Yes, there is a whole lot of "out-of-process" activity going on, mostly revolving around one remarkably curious admin.

Look, in the long run, Wikiversity and the WMF need cogent criticism. Part of the problem was a lack of ethical guidelines covering how criticism of the wikis would be handled. Absolutely, I'd like to see the best critics of the wikis re-integrated into the community. There are ways to do it, I believe. But they will require some shifts in attitude.

Perhaps Charles Ainsworth will demonstrate a better way to raise the issues of ethical guidelines for WMF-sponsored projects. Hopefully he will be able to devise a new departure from the failed paths that Greg and I have explored.
Moulton
Humankind's Original Logic Error

Sometimes in the course of human events it becomes necessary to diagnose long-festering errors in the architecture of the culture. One can recognize these ancient and poorly diagnosed errors because they persistently produce endless reruns of the same banal drama. In every generation an annoying iconoclastic thinker stands up and once again points out the recurring anachronistic errors that continue to disturb the functionality of the cultural system. Among these persistent errors is a notorious one that can be recognized by its prominence in the literature. One can find an early story about it in Genesis 2. Augustine of Hippo, while not a mathematician, offered a scholarly analysis of the same error. Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote two novels about it. The founders of nearly every religion sought with indomitable passion to eradicate this error from the political landscape. In every case in history, the political powers that be fought back with corrupt power, employing violence, oppression, unjust condemnation, alienation, and even such sophomoric practices as immurement of outspoken and iconoclastic scholars in the janitorial hall closet. But there is always an escape route from this hoary error, because the name of the error is HOLE. One can always escape through the HOLE. And those who mistakenly think otherwise might well be laboring with a silly HOLE in their head. —Azazel Nation 13:23, 9 October 2008 (UTC)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.