Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: USDA shennanigan: BLP spreading on the net?
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
SB_Johnny
Interesting stuff yesterday: apparently a carefully edited version of a speech was posted on Youtube and picked up by the right wing talkers, leading to someone in the white house demanding her resignation (apparently while she was driving, no less). Now the white house has apologized after seeing the actual speech she made.

I haven't had time to look into it (I'm curious what the WP BLP looks like now), but it seems to me that the reputation-trashing developed on WP:BLP is spreading fast.

EricBarbour
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 2:17am) *
I haven't had time to look into it (I'm curious what the WP BLP looks like now), but it seems to me that the reputation-trashing developed on WP:BLP is spreading fast.

Funny you should mention that.......
# Keep. The forced resignation incident created Shirley Sherrod's notability. The forced resignation is a touchstone which illustrates the political forces in play today. Not real? It got real very quickly for her. --Ancheta Wis (talk) 06:53, 22 July 2010 (UTC)
# Weak Keep WP:BLP1E says "write an article about the event, not the person", so it really doesn't apply here. WP:NOTNEWS does not apply either though: To quote said policy: "[...] including information on recent developments is sometimes appropriate [...]". We have here a case where developments are noteworthy and lead to much coverage with a good chance that there will be a lasting notability. NOTNEWS seeks to remove articles and content that are clearly better suited for Wikinews, i.e. where it's obvious that the notability will vanish after a few days/weeks after news reports about it stopped. In this case, we cannot say for certain whether this will happen and the amount of coverage and discussion this subject created makes it a real possibility that lasting notability exists. If it turns out that this was incorrect, we can revisit this question in a few months. Regards SoWhy 07:45, 22 July 2010 (UTC)
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 5:57am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 22nd July 2010, 2:17am) *

Funny you should mention that.......
<snip>

Actually I was more thinking of what the early revisions look like (I saw the AFD, which seems to be just the regular silliness).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.