Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slate interviews Larry Sanger about WP
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
EricBarbour
Because the newsfeed missed it:

The Wrong Stuff

I can't remember when I read The Professor and the Madman, but that made a big impression me.

That's pretty funny, considering that it's a book about the relationship between the editor of a major reference work and a certified lunatic.

It actually resonated very much with the experience I had trying to organize Wikipedia. It's very interesting to me that here you have the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, and one of his most prolific contributors was in an insane asylum. A lot of the most prolific Wikipedians, or at least many of them, also seem to have a screw loose. But that doesn't mean their work is useless.

Do you have a theory about this? Is there something about the project of organizing knowledge that attracts slightly nutty people? Or that turns normal people nuts?

There are a lot of theories on that, actually. But I think the most important thing to say is that Wikipedia has very few practical constraints about people behaving according to normal rules of politeness and fair dealing. They've got a zillion rules, of course—that's part of the problem—but there is no easy way to reign in the bad actors. And unfortunately the bad tend to drive out the good. A lot of the more sane, sensible people out there are just can't take too much of it.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 31st July 2010, 11:10am) *

The Wrong Stuff

I can't remember when I read The Professor and the Madman, but that made a big impression me.

That's pretty funny, considering that it's a book about the relationship between the editor of a major reference work and a certified lunatic.

It actually resonated very much with the experience I had trying to organize Wikipedia. It's very interesting to me that here you have the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, and one of his most prolific contributors was in an insane asylum. A lot of the most prolific Wikipedians, or at least many of them, also seem to have a screw loose. But that doesn't mean their work is useless.

Do you have a theory about this? Is there something about the project of organizing knowledge that attracts slightly nutty people? Or that turns normal people nuts?

There are a lot of theories on that, actually. But I think the most important thing to say is that Wikipedia has very few practical constraints about people behaving according to normal rules of politeness and fair dealing. They've got a zillion rules, of course—that's part of the problem—but there is no easy way to reign in the bad actors. And unfortunately the bad tend to drive out the good. A lot of the more sane, sensible people out there are just can't take too much of it.

Good spot. I discuss here. http://ocham.blogspot.com/2010/07/truth-versus-equality.html
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

That is essentially the same question I just asked Eric over on our discussion of Slim Virus.
+5 find!
The Joy
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 31st July 2010, 10:39am) *

That is essentially the same question I just asked Eric over on our discussion of Slim Virus.
+5 find!

QUOTE(Lewis Carroll's "Alive in Wonderland")
“'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'”
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 31st July 2010, 6:10am) *

The Wrong Stuff

Lame Ole Lame Ole (LOLO) …

Jon tongue.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Larry Sanger)
When I was getting Wikipedia started, I didn't realize just how deeply important matters of governance were going to be.

When I was starting up an online learning community, twenty years ago, governance was the most important issue on my mind, and the one I spent the most time researching, thinking about, and promoting.

QUOTE(Larry Sanger)
I could have established a charter that would allow important editorial decisions to be made through a representative body, as opposed to essentially mob rules.

The first thing we did, once we got the technology up and running, was to craft a Charter and Social Contract.

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 1:14pm) *

QUOTE(Larry Sanger)

When I was getting Wikipedia started, I didn't realize just how deeply important matters of governance were going to be.

When I was starting up an online learning community, twenty years ago, governance was the most important issue on my mind, and the one I spent the most time researching, thinking about, and promoting.

QUOTE(Larry Sanger)

I could have established a charter that would allow important editorial decisions to be made through a representative body, as opposed to essentially mob rules.

The first thing we did, once we got the technology up and running, was to craft a Charter and Social Contract.

Too bad neither one of you knows the first thing about a social contract.

Jon dry.gif
Moulton
Too bad none of us know the first thing about collegial and congenial conversations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.