Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary Bass announces his departure from WMF
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy
Moulton
Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by Cary Bass (cary at wikimedia.org), Mon Aug 2 22:01:04 UTC 2010

QUOTE(Cary Bass on WMF Mailing List)
It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.

I'm leaving the staff, but I will continue to be involved with the Wikimedia movement as a volunteer, both as a contributor and in the organization of the annual Wikimania conference. Much of my work with Wikimedia will continue, except now I will be doing it as a volunteer rather than as a paid staff person.

More at the link.
anthony
But who's going to coordinate the volunteers?
Moulton
QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 6:17pm) *

No one.

Cary continues in the next paragraph...

QUOTE(Cary Bass)
The Wikimedia Foundation is not planning to hire another volunteer coordinator to look after the specific range of work I've been doing, so if you are unsure about who will handle things I have been responsible for, please feel free to ask me, and we'll work it out over the next several months.

anthony
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 10:20pm) *

No one.

Cary continues in the next paragraph...

Sarcasm Moulton, sarcasm.
Moulton
QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 6:21pm) *
Sarcasm Moulton, sarcasm.

How about this?

QUOTE(Thomas Dalton)
I'm not sure how the Foundation is going to survive without you.

Followed by this...

QUOTE(Jon Davis)
It won't. We're doomed. Cary was the glue that held everything together!

Was that hyperbole, too?
pietkuip
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 3rd August 2010, 12:14am) *

More at the link.

When the Foundation is hiring?
I never could see that he was "extremely good with people" - he got upset, wanted me permanently banned at Commons, then composed an "I was wrong" speech, but did not lift my block.

And now he will enter the priesthood?
Somey
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 5:20pm) *
No one.

If the volunteers aren't coordinated, they could end up with serious ankle and wrist injuries! ohmy.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 4:51pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 5:20pm) *
No one.

If the volunteers aren't coordinated, they could end up with serious ankle and wrist injuries! ohmy.gif

My initial response is that his is one of the few positions touching on program areas and it is a steep in the wrong direction. But then think of the job title. They ain't "Volunteers," they are content contributors. God knows they ain't "coordinated" or otherwise managed in a coherent manner. It reminded me of meeting a guy from the Detroit Planning Commission. I fell into rage. I mean it was bad enough that things had got so bad for that great City. That it was planned was more than I could stomach.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Cary Bass on WMF Mailing List)
It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.

I'm leaving the staff, but I will continue to be involved with the Wikimedia movement as a volunteer, both as a contributor and in the organization of the annual Wikimania conference. Much of my work with Wikimedia will continue, except now I will be doing it as a volunteer rather than as a paid staff person.

tarantino
Now who are 16 year olds going to turn to when the want access to nonpublic data?

The wmf access to nonpublic data policy says

The access policies for OTRS e-mail queues or other communication systems of the Wikimedia Foundation are defined by WMF office staff in accordance with the intent of this policy.

The intent of the policy (originally posted by Florence Devouard) seems to be that the "user is at least 18 and explicitly over the age at which they are capable to act without the consent of their parent in the jurisdiction in which they reside", but the wording is all wishy-washy.

An aside to MZMcBride, Florence Devouard's wmf user page says she's chairman of the board. That hasn't been true since July 2008.
Ottava
I'm honestly sad over this.
MZMcBride
QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 8:47pm) *
An aside to MZMcBride, Florence Devouard's wmf user page says she's chairman of the board. That hasn't been true since July 2008.
Fixed. I suppose if I created an account for you over there, someone would yell at me. unhappy.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 5th August 2010, 12:49am) *
I'm honestly sad over this.

Perhaps chagrined, even
EricBarbour
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 4th August 2010, 10:20pm) *
QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 8:47pm) *
Fixed. I suppose if I created an account for you over there, someone would yell at me. unhappy.gif

Give it a couple days. You might yet get your wish.

In other news: Jesus H. Christ, Florence Devouard hasn't updated her Wikipedia userpage since October 2006??
Did she give up on the whole thing 4 years ago?? evilgrin.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 5th August 2010, 3:03am) *

In other news: Jesus H. Christ, Florence Devouard hasn't updated her Wikipedia userpage since October 2006??
Did she give up on the whole thing 4 years ago?? evilgrin.gif

That's not her "Wikipedia" user page.
Moulton
Remind me how we disambiguate Florence Devouard from User:FloNight.

Which one is referred to as "Flo-Flo"?

Which one was on ArbCom?
Kelly Martin
This is significant in that it demonstrates Sue's increasing control over the organization. Who's left from Before Sue at this point? I think it's just Tim Starling, although there might be a junior sysadmin or two still on the payroll (who's that one guy who lives in Florida whose job it is basically to go into the server room and kick machines when they fall over?).

Cary was hired because he sucked up really really hard to Jimbo, and because he and Jimbo shared a common fetish for famous people. Plus Cary being gay meant that Jimbo didn't have to worry about Cary competing with him for hot babes. His position was never well-defined and looked pretty much like a sinecure. I imagine he was let go simply because his welcome ran out.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 5th August 2010, 9:36am) *

Which one was on ArbCom?

Big Flo, aka FloNight, is on Arbcom. Little Flo is Ms. D.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 5th August 2010, 11:32am) *

This is significant in that it demonstrates Sue's increasing control over the organization. Who's left from Before Sue at this point? I think it's just Tim Starling, although there might be a junior sysadmin or two still on the payroll (who's that one guy who lives in Florida whose job it is basically to go into the server room and kick machines when they fall over?).

Cary was hired because he sucked up really really hard to Jimbo, and because he and Jimbo shared a common fetish for famous people. Plus Cary being gay meant that Jimbo didn't have to worry about Cary competing with him for hot babes. His position was never well-defined and looked pretty much like a sinecure. I imagine he was let go simply because his welcome ran out.

Maybe he figures as a volunteer he can keep all the $CASH$ he'll be getting for those speaking engagments.

Jon tongue.gif

(Sorry if someone already said that — I haven't been following this one.)
Moulton
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 5th August 2010, 11:36am) *

Which one was on ArbCom?

Were either of them on the WMF Board of Trustees or otherwise on the WMF Staff?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 5th August 2010, 9:44am) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 5th August 2010, 11:36am) *

Which one was on ArbCom?

Were either of them on the WMF Board of Trustees or otherwise on the WMF Staff?

FD was President of the Board of Trustees. That is not a staff position, however.
Moulton
Thanks. And which one is called "Flo-Flo"? Is that "Little Flo", the one who was once President of the WMF Board?
ulsterman
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 5th August 2010, 4:54pm) *

Thanks. And which one is called "Flo-Flo"? Is that "Little Flo", the one who was once President of the WMF Board?

Yes, Flo-Flo is Florence Devouard.

FloNight is Sydney L. Poore (and despite the name is definitely female). She's one of the many people who is on Hivemind

http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/hivemind.html#264

despite never having made any secret of her identity or location.

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FloNight
Ottava

Plus Cary being gay meant that Jimbo didn't have to worry about Cary competing with him for hot babes.

Cary may be gay, but he can sure pick up women. You should have seen them all fawning all over him at the DC meetup. That boy sure has some skills.
ulsterman
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 5th August 2010, 4:36pm) *

Big Flo, aka FloNight, is on Arbcom.

No longer, I think. A pity, as she was saner than average.

Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 5th August 2010, 1:45pm) *

Plus Cary being gay meant that Jimbo didn't have to worry about Cary competing with him for hot babes.

Cary may be gay, but he can sure pick up women. You should have seen them all fawning all over him at the DC meetup. That boy sure has some skills.

Let me introduce you to the term fag hag (T-H-L-K-D).
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Thu 5th August 2010, 3:46pm) *
Saner? Not hardly. Flo was a vicious little weasel who would promise you anything to get your cooperation, then turn around and pretend you didn't exist after she got what she wanted. That might qualify as "sane" behavior but it's certainly not reflective of the moral or ethical maturity one wants in a community leader.
Moulton
QUOTE(ulsterman @ Thu 5th August 2010, 4:46pm) *
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 5th August 2010, 4:36pm) *
Big Flo, aka FloNight, is on Arbcom.

Ahem.

(She never got back to me. Neither did ArbCom.)
ulsterman
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 5th August 2010, 10:05pm) *

Saner? Not hardly. Flo was a vicious little weasel who would promise you anything to get your cooperation, then turn around and pretend you didn't exist after she got what she wanted. That might qualify as "sane" behavior but it's certainly not reflective of the moral or ethical maturity one wants in a community leader.

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 5th August 2010, 10:56pm) *

Ahem.

I never said she was Joan of Arc. But if she has faults, look at the competition!
Moulton
Is FloNight still on ArbCom? The last I communicated with her, she was on hiatus.
NuclearWarfare
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 6th August 2010, 2:33pm) *

Is FloNight still on ArbCom? The last I communicated with her, she was on hiatus.

FloNight's ArbCom term expired in December 2009, and is therefore not on ArbCom any longer. She does however still have checkuser and oversight.
Moulton
I wonder if there is currently anyone on ArbCom who has any interest in correcting a three-year old injustice.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 5th August 2010, 4:45pm) *

Cary may be gay, but he can sure pick up women.

And dogs chase cars...but if they catch them, that doesn't mean that they can drive them! evilgrin.gif

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 6th August 2010, 11:57am) *

I wonder if there is currently anyone on ArbCom who has any interest in correcting a three-year old injustice.

Creating, yes. Correcting...I wouldn't bet on it. ermm.gif

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Fri 6th August 2010, 5:00am) *

I never said she was Joan of Arc.

I don't see the connection. Do you want to burn Big Flo at the stake? blink.gif

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 5th August 2010, 5:05pm) *

Except if the "community" is Wikipedia, of course. smile.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 6th August 2010, 12:21pm) *
QUOTE(PoetUlster @ Fri 6th August 2010, 5:00am) *
I never said she was Joan of Arc.
I don't see the connection.

It's a very long story arc.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 5th August 2010, 3:32pm) *

Amply foreshadowed in previous thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.