Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Banglapedia stolen?
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
Ottava
I know I have one copyright infringement thread up, but this may be more interesting since this shows that at the time of posting 20 pages were revealed to have major copyright problems.

Apparently, the Banglapedia was lifted by members of the Wikipedia project dealing with Bangladesh. It is interesting that an online copyrighted pedia was basically ripped off in such a manner, and it was great that Moonriddengirl was able to go through so many so quickly.

Is Wikipedia boiling down to just stealing from smaller specialty encyclopedias? How does it cope with such groups? After all, I haven't see any word about possible penalties for this mass infringement. What do people in charge of Wikipedia think? What about ArbCom that there are people acting in such a way?
EricBarbour
A) this won't be the first case of WP material being blatantly stolen from other websites, and it won't be the last. There is so much, nobody can even guess how much there is.

B) why don't you ask the official Wikiproject about that? There's almost nothing on AN about it.

Plus. Oh looky, our old friend Future Perfect bitching about plagiarism! Ha ha ha!
If you're suggesting a copyright violation, the place is WP:COPYVIO; if not, why not just shut up and stop wasting people's time. Wikipedia has plagiarised right from the very beginning, and is widely plagiarised itself. We are not writing a term paper here, but an encyclopedia. Physchim62 (talk) 22:04, 3 March 2009 (UTC)

Bloody nonsense. Fut.Perf. ☼ 22:12, 3 March 2009 (UTC)

Agreed. Plagiarism (among other things), brings Wikipedia into disrepute. That it takes place is no excuse for saying it should be ignored. dougweller (talk) 22:15, 3 March 2009 (UTC)

yak.gif
Ottava
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 13th August 2010, 5:42am) *

A) this won't be the first case of WP material being blatantly stolen from other websites, and it won't be the last. There is so much, nobody can even guess how much there is.

B) why don't you ask the official Wikiproject about that? There's almost nothing on AN about it.

I received an email from an individual telling me that admin on Wikipedia have known about this for some time and no one has done anything about it. Apparently, they think that the Bangladesh WikiProject, which is a tight knit group, probably knew what they were doing and grouped together to do it - so, going after them would be like wacking a very nasty bee's nest. Ragib is one of the principle guys and has enough support to intimidate people, apparently.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 12th August 2010, 10:42pm) *

Apparently, the Banglapedia was lifted by members of the Wikipedia project dealing with Bangladesh.

Not to be confused with Banglespedia:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.