Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incontinent Gardner Eco-Logues
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Peter Damian
Announced here http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...ust/060386.html and the interview itself (in translation) is here http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_U..._Eco/Traduzione .

Eco is a name well-known and respected in medieval studies, and naturally a very positive reaction from the list, particularly from Sue Gardner who gushingly asserts

It's a lovely interview, Ilario. Congratulations :-)
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...ust/060404.html

Love the little smiley face Sue! But I am not sure she has even read the interview. Extracts below.

"The computer in general, and the Internet in particular, is good for the rich and bad for the poor. That is, Wikipedia is good for me, because I am able to find the information I need; I do not trust it, because everyone knows that as Wikipedia grows, the errors also grow. I found steep follies written about me, and if no-one had pointed me to them, they would be there still."

" look at the Italian Wikipedia; I'm not sure that the news is correct, so I go to check the English version, then yet another source, and if all three tell me that this gentleman died in 371 AD, then I begin to believe it."*
"Wikipedia, like the whole Internet, has the problem of filtering the news. It keeps both false and real news; but the rich know filtering techniques at least for the areas they know how to check. If I have to do a search on Plato, I have no problem immediately identifying the sites written by madmen, but if I am researching stem cells it's not certain that I can identify the wrong sites."

"I noticed that in a certain period of Berlusconi's triumph people went looking for information about me in right-wing books and placed it in Wikipedia: as propriety prevents me from changing it directly, I left it. But obviously it was an entry made by the winners of the moment.

Collective control is therefore useful up to a certain point: it is conceivable that if one gives a false length of the equator, sooner or later someone will come along and fix it, but correction of more subtle and difficult issues is more complicated And it seems to me that the internal control is minimal, that is, it cannot control the millions of new changes flowing in. At most, it can check if a madman wrote that Napoleon is a racehorse, but there's not too much it can do."

"But I keep saying that I am increasingly exposed to the risk of my inability to filter the news. Lately I started writing down some false information, some errors that one can find in Wikipedia. In the same article, for example, there were two contradictory reports, a sign that there had been an amalgam."

* Indeed! If he went to look for the birthdate of Duns Scotus when until quite recently he would have found at least three different dates. But at least he is an expert on Duns Scotus.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 29th August 2010, 3:29pm) *

Thank you and oops. Can someone merge this with that? Thanks
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th August 2010, 7:30am) *

Can someone merge this with that? Thanks
Yup.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 29th August 2010, 10:40am) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th August 2010, 7:30am) *

Can someone merge this with that? Thanks

Yup.

Could you please restore the original Eco-Peirce thread to the Meta-Diss Forum, so we can have an intelligent discussion of the subject, free of Wikipediot inanities?

Thanks,

Jon Image
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th August 2010, 8:35am) *

Could you please restore the original Eco-Peirce thread to the Meta-Diss Forum, so we can have an intelligent discussion of the subject, free of Wikipediot inanities?
yup.
Herschelkrustofsky
It seems to have migrated back to "general discussion," after getting its title transmogrified.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 29th August 2010, 2:23pm) *

It seems to have migrated back to "general discussion," after getting its title transmogrified.

No, I undid the merge with the thread that Peter Damian started, having to do with Sue Gardner's inanities, and restored the original content of the Meta*Discussion thread.

Jon Image
Moulton
Wheel warring on W-R?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 29th August 2010, 2:40pm) *

Wheel warring on W-R?

I dunno, are rudders called that because they're red?

Jon tongue.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th August 2010, 7:27pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 29th August 2010, 2:23pm) *

No, I undid the merge with the thread that Peter Damian started, having to do with Sue Gardner's inanities, and restored the original content of the Meta*Discussion thread.

Jon Image

No, if you actually read the quotes, they are not Sue Gardner's inanities, they are Umberto's inanities. I mentioned Sue once. And enough of your inanities, Awbrey.
Peter Damian
And could I have the title of my thread back, please? Thanks
RMHED
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 29th August 2010, 11:03pm) *

WR:OWN. It's not your thread Peter, it's the communities.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 29th August 2010, 6:08pm) *

WR:OWN. It's not your thread Peter, it's the communities'.

There was no reason to merge the eminently predicable inanities of a Wikipediot Fond-L thread with the Meta*Discussion thread already in progress.

I wasn't the one who requested the merger. I wasn't the one who carried out the merger. I'm sorry if PD lost his title to inanity in the process, but I was traveling with nothing but my cell phone at hand and checked the Forum but once in a while, so I don't think I ever saw the original title of the Fond-L thread. I did the best I could to recapture its essence.

Jon Image
RMHED
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th August 2010, 11:48pm) *

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 29th August 2010, 6:08pm) *

WR:OWN. It's not your thread Peter, it's the community's.

There was no reason to merge the eminently predicable inanities of a Wikipediot Fond-L thread with the Meta*Discussion thread already in progress.

I wasn't the one who requested the merger. I wasn't the one who carried out the merger. I'm sorry if PD lost his title to inanity in the process, but I was traveling with nothing but my cell phone at hand and checked the Forum but once in a while, so I don't think I ever saw the original title of the Fond-L thread. I did the best I could to recapture its essence.

Jon Image

When I said communities I meant communities not community's. Every fucker knows this place is a hang out of da 'pedia's obsessive community and da review community.
Jon Awbrey
Thanks for correcting my incorrect correction.

And thanks for inciting what will no doubt be a riot of apostrophaic e-comia, mumoria, and punegyrics from a chorus of Moultons.

Jon tongue.gif
Moulton
I have the impression that Awbrey bristles whenever an interloper wanders into his territory.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 29th August 2010, 7:20pm) *

I have the impression that Awbrey bristles whenever an interloper wanders into his territory.

No admirer of Aristotelian virtues could fail to recognize these bristles as the platinum signs of a ripening harvest, far removed from the brutes that bear those ruddier bristles of a beastly nature.

Jon tongue.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th August 2010, 7:59pm) *
No admirer of Aristotelian virtues could fail to recognize these bristles as the platinum signs of a ripening harvest, far removed from the brutes that bear those ruddier bristles of a beastly nature.

Jon tongue.gif

Today is a red letter day for hatist theories of spurning.
EricBarbour
mellow.gif huh.gif unhappy.gif blink.gif ermm.gif mad.gif biggrin.gif evilgrin.gif yecch.gif wtf.gif yecch.gif wink.gif blink.gif tongue.gif smile.gif unhappy.gif hrmph.gif hrmph.gif
RMHED
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 30th August 2010, 1:02am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th August 2010, 7:59pm) *

Jon tongue.gif

Today is a red letter day for hatist theories of spurning.

Moulton's memorable misanthropic millinery musings.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 29th August 2010, 8:31pm) *

Moulton's memorable misanthropic millinery musings.

Oh, I get it …

And I think I see the middle term —

hatist = caret^top = millinery

Jon tongue.gif
Somey

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.