Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The tea party, Wikipedia and al-Qaeda: shared leadership lessons? - Washington Post (blog)
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed
The tea party, Wikipedia and al-Qaeda: shared leadership lessons?

Washington Post (blog)

Q: Has the recent success of the Tea Party come because of, or in spite of, the movement's lack of a formal leadership structure?

View the article
It's the blimp, Frank
Interesting.

At the same time, distributed leadership poses a host of challenges that must be overcome. "Subsidiaries," "factions" or "chapters" in different states or countries can work at cross-purposes with one another, create confusion about mission that can frustrate or drive away members and/or potential enlistees, duplicate efforts and suffer from lack of scale (in fundraising, for instance).

If you're Wikipedia and trying to provide free information to people, these liabilities are one thing and may not be fatal. It's quite another to be aspiring to revolutionize politics (Tea Party) or overthrow a secular, Western democratic model of governing (al-Qaeda). I like Wikipedia's chances much more.

Does anyone read these Media Forums?
thekohser
Best comment, left minutes before this feed appeared on WR:

Ah yes, Wikipedia. Isn't that where the leadership might issue a very serious warning to a long-time contributor who had the nerve to adorn the "creampie" image with smiley-faced bed linens? Yes, that is the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=385997878

If that's progress thanks to distributed leadership, where might I book a one-way ticket to Borneo?

Posted by: thekohser | September 21, 2010 10:56 PM
It's the blimp, Frank
Oh yes! Georgewilliamherbert is one of my favorite assholes at Wikipedia. He should get the creampie-in-the-face award.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.