Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti-Wikia Alliance
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Pages: 1, 2
thekohser
Former Guardian reporter Seth Finkelstein breaks a story about an "Anti-Wikia Alliance".

I think it's interesting that Wikia has prohibited the mere mention of the word "Wikipedia Review" on its sites.
Somey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 9:54am) *
Former Guardian reporter Seth Finkelstein breaks a story about an "Anti-Wikia Alliance".

Lookes like they're not too happy about the new Wikia skin, which puts the Wikia logo in the upper-left corner instead of the individual wiki's logo. Apparently some of these people didn't think this was inevitable. unsure.gif

I think it's interesting that Wikia has prohibited the mere mention of the word "Wikipedia Review" on its sites.

You'll want to be careful about offering to host some of that material, in terms of bandwidth limits. Some of those wikis get a many as 50 page-views a month!
Derktar
Seems even Wowwiki might leave Wikia now, considering they are a more than 10% of Wikia's page views, this might not end well for them.
Michaeldsuarez
I still use Monobook on Wikia (although I prefer Vector on Wikipedia). The Monaco skin was too Web 2.0 for me. I didn't notice the newer skin until now since I basically stopped using Wikia after I was desysoped for refusing to quit ED Wikia actually attempted to dictate which sites I could use or not.
thekohser
QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 4th October 2010, 8:14pm) *

Seems even Wowwiki might leave Wikia now, considering they are a more than 10% of Wikia's page views, this might not end well for them.

I would like to add a comment to their page, regarding the cost of transferring an 80,000-page wiki to a new server. One guy said it would be "thousands of dollars".

I solicited HostGator technicians to transfer 60,000+ pages of Wikipedia Review operating on the "old" Mediawiki software on another server to a new server, plus upgrade to the "new" software. Cost was $220. Monthly cost to run the new WoWWiki would likely be about $80 to $150 per month, I'm guessing.

If they can't get 8 to 15 nerds to donate $10 a month (and keep all advertising to themselves) in order to get out from under Jimbo's treacherous thumb, then they just may deserve to remain under that sinister grip.

I'm not willing to share my IP address with Jimbo's staff, though, so my comment will just have to remain here, and maybe someone could point those guys to it. I'm more than happy to talk on the phone with any of their "leaders".
Text
If they can't get 8 to 15 nerds to donate $10 a month (and keep all advertising to themselves) in order to get out from under Jimbo's treacherous thumb, then they just may deserve to remain under that sinister grip.

The nerds are better off to go away and forget about the Wow database entirely. Spending 1800 dollars a year, every year, for maintaining game guides, instead of buying actual games (not MMORPG) for 100 dollars a year at most? laugh.gif
And they probably already spend 30 dollars each month for the MMORPG fee.
dtobias
My hosting account with Dreamhost includes the ability to set up MediaWiki sites (among other platforms). This should work for all but the most wildly popular wikis (which might trigger bandwidth or server usage amounts that necessitate moving to a private server at extra expense), so I don't know why anybody would want or need to use Wikia and subject themselves to all their rules and ads.
Seurat
QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 5th October 2010, 6:23pm) *
I don't know why anybody would want or need to use Wikia and subject themselves to all their rules and ads.

Ignorance. mellow.gif

Most people do not have the basic technical skills to set up or maintain a wiki. These people often do not even have the technical skills to write decent HTML. They are therefore happy to get free hosting and technical service, even if it means a number of annoying advertisements and arbitrary rules. rolleyes.gif
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Seurat @ Tue 5th October 2010, 3:13pm) *

I don't know why anybody would want or need to use Wikia and subject themselves to all their rules and ads.

Ignorance. mellow.gif

Most people do not have the basic technical skills to set up or maintain a wiki. These people often do not even have the technical skills to write decent HTML. They are therefore happy to get free hosting and technical service, even if it means a number of annoying advertisements and arbitrary rules. rolleyes.gif

That probably depends on degree of annoyance and the degree to which the arbitrary rules get in their way. I'll leave it to Aubrey to express that in an equation.
anthony

My hosting account with Dreamhost includes the ability to set up MediaWiki sites (among other platforms). This should work for all but the most wildly popular wikis (which might trigger bandwidth or server usage amounts that necessitate moving to a private server at extra expense), so I don't know why anybody would want or need to use Wikia and subject themselves to all their rules and ads.

Personally I stopped hosting a Mediawiki site using Dreamhost a few weeks after Grawp found out about it. I wasn't using the automagically updated version, since you can't use the automagically updated version if you want to install extensions, and some extensions (like the syntaxhighlight extension) are IMO fairly hard to live without (OTOH, Wikia doesn't seem to support that one either).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, Wikia sucks, but running your own public Mediawiki site sucks worse.

Edit: P.S. Mediawiki uses a ton of server resources. One time I received an automated warning from Dreamhost for using up a lot of CPU and I was only using the site myself.
A User
QUOTE(Seurat @ Wed 6th October 2010, 6:13am) *

These people often do not even have the technical skills to write decent HTML.

It could be argued that most people who edit Wikipedia, do not even have the skills to write a good article let alone HTML.
Text
Edit: P.S. Mediawiki uses a ton of server resources. One time I received an automated warning from Dreamhost for using up a lot of CPU and I was only using the site myself.

Why not use PmWiki or the Everything engine? TvTropes is doing just fine with PmWiki and the same goes for Everything2 with their open source engine.
lilburne
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 5th October 2010, 3:47pm) *

If you pay for 3 years hosting then it cost £25 a year on godaddy. Which gives 10GB of disk space and unlimited bandwidth. They'll also install mediawiki, pmwiki etc, or you can do it yourself. I eventually stuck with using drupal and wordpress mu. I suspect their issue may be disk space, but for £40 you'll get 150GB of space and unlimited space costs about £55.

thekohser
QUOTE(lilburne @ Wed 6th October 2010, 8:21am) *

If you pay for 3 years hosting then it cost £25 a year on godaddy. Which gives 10GB of disk space and unlimited bandwidth. They'll also install mediawiki, pmwiki etc, or you can do it yourself. I eventually stuck with using drupal and wordpress mu. I suspect their issue may be disk space, but for £40 you'll get 150GB of space and unlimited space costs about £55.

laugh.gif

Check the fine print to see that "unlimited" means "up to the point where your shared portion of our bandwidth begins to adversely impact the throughput of our other customers, at which point we will advise which higher-priced tier you will be asked to switch to".
Emperor
If you need a place to put your fancruft, there really aren't too many great alternatives

1) Band together with a bunch of other anonymous or not so anonymous freaks and start something which will probably fail and have lots of infighting
2) Go it alone
3) Find a free wiki farm with a proven record of years of responsible hosting of similar material
4 Try to integrate with a large general-purpose wiki like Encyc
5) Suck it up and leave your stuff on Wikia, where at least it's relatively safe
6) Give up on the wiki idea and get a free blog or MySpace account.
lilburne
Well the 'unlimited' was something they've changed in the last few months, prior to that it was 300GB a month. Does the Wowwiki get anywhere near that limit?
A User
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 7th October 2010, 2:54am) *

If you need a place to put your fancruft, there really aren't too many great alternatives

1) Band together with a bunch of other anonymous or not so anonymous freaks and start something which will probably fail and have lots of infighting
2) Go it alone
3) Find a free wiki farm with a proven record of years of responsible hosting of similar material
5) Suck it up and leave your stuff on Wikia, where at least it's relatively safe

7) Give up the internet entirely and enjoy your free time with no ulcers.
thekohser
QUOTE(lilburne @ Wed 6th October 2010, 11:54am) *

Well the 'unlimited' was something they've changed in the last few months, prior to that it was 300GB a month. Does the Wowwiki get anywhere near that limit?

Wikipedia Review consumes about 18 to 24 GB of throughput per month. I would estimate (based on Alexa and the complexity of their average pages) that the Wowwiki is easily doing at least 10 times that amount.
Emperor
QUOTE(WikiWatch @ Wed 6th October 2010, 12:44pm) *

I hear good things about stamp collecting.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(WikiWatch @ Wed 6th October 2010, 9:44am) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 7th October 2010, 2:54am) *

2) Go it alone

Present company? Hah.

Why the hell does it have to be a wiki at all? Why fight with all that crap software?
If you're creating a specialized knowledgebase with a small group of users contributing,
why not just use have them post to a public (free) blog? Create a Blogger blog, pass out
the password to your users, and let them use it as a data dump. You can export the
results as an XML file and diddle with it later.

Everything2 is a good system, but you still have to contend with hosting issues. Unless you're in
it to make $$$$, the easiest and dumbest free host would be the best. Wikia doesn't qualify under
any such requirement--you have no control over it, there are ads you don't profit from, and you get
charming little "seekrit rules" that you must abide by, because Jimbo Shall Not Be Criticized.

We could take bets on how long it will be before someone puts up an anti-Wikimedia wiki.
(No, ED and Wikipedia Review don't count. I mean a wiki that does nothing but criticize Wikimedia.)
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(WikiWatch @ Wed 6th October 2010, 8:07am) *

It could be argued that most people who edit Wikipedia, do not even have the skills to write a good article let alone HTML.

Ah but which task would more of them be capable of doing, to save their lives?

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Tue 5th October 2010, 10:02pm) *

That probably depends on degree of annoyance and the degree to which the arbitrary rules get in their way. I'll leave it to Aubrey to express that in an equation.

I'm sure it would look something like Image and lack any sane explanation.

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 6th October 2010, 3:54pm) *

2) Go it alone
Michaeldsuarez
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 7th October 2010, 4:19am) *
We could take bets on how long it will be before someone puts up an anti-Wikimedia wiki.
(No, ED and Wikipedia Review don't count. I mean a wiki that does nothing but criticize Wikimedia.)

I believe that wiki was called "WikiTruth" (RIP).
anthony
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 6th October 2010, 10:49am) *

Why not use PmWiki or the Everything engine? TvTropes is doing just fine with PmWiki and the same goes for Everything2 with their open source engine.

Probably a combination of them not supporting certain features (pretty printing of code comes to mind) and Dreamhost not offering a one-click install for them.
anthony
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 7th October 2010, 3:19am) *

Why the hell does it have to be a wiki at all? Why fight with all that crap software?
If you're creating a specialized knowledgebase with a small group of users contributing,
why not just use have them post to a public (free) blog? Create a Blogger blog, pass out
the password to your users, and let them use it as a data dump. You can export the
results as an XML file and diddle with it later.

A blog?

*[[wiki-style internal links]] are great.
*wiki-style lists are great too.
*categories are sometimes useful.
Emperor
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 6th October 2010, 11:19pm) *

Wikipedia Review had a wiki years ago.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Thu 7th October 2010, 1:35pm) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 7th October 2010, 4:19am) *
I believe that wiki was called "WikiTruth" (RIP).

And it was okay, within its limits (having been run by a group of sad little Wikipedia lovers).
I wasn't that impressed with it as a critique, because except for little things like "Jimbo Found Out",
they often pulled their punches when dealing directly with the admin elite.

I still say: if the WMF were a BIG nonprofit, like the Red Cross or the United Way, and Jimbo had tried to
erase Larry Sanger from the history of the organization, the result would have been a shitstorm in the
mainstream press, probably leading to the board of directors asking for his resignation.

But the WMF runs remarkably more like the Church of Scientology than like a conventional non-profit.
Jimbo is David Miscavige, minus the spine. He's the molluscan Miscavige. yecch.gif
SB_Johnny
The chickens are coming to roost on Jimbo's talk.

Are the domain names all of the Wikia projects owned by Wikia? Pretty nasty trap there.
Text

Are the domain names all of the Wikia projects owned by Wikia? Pretty nasty trap there.

Wikia staff bought many domain names to redirect to the subdomains of any respective wiki. The reason was that they "didn't trust the domain name to be left in hands which are not known" (they didn't let StarWars wiki move to the .com domain owned by C. Barbry "Whiteboy", the first ideator of the wiki). They also purchased the domain uncyclopedia.org from Chronarion, its founder.

They're turning the rest of the library into the rest of Zuckerberg's house, but they will not succeed for long.
BelovedFox
QUOTE(Text @ Wed 20th October 2010, 10:39am) *

Wikia staff bought many domain names to redirect to the subdomains of any respective wiki. The reason was that they "didn't trust the domain name to be left in hands which are not known" (they didn't let StarWars wiki move to the .com domain owned by C. Barbry "Whiteboy", the first ideator of the wiki). They also purchased the domain uncyclopedia.org from Chronarion, its founder.

They're turning the rest of the library into the rest of Zuckerberg's house, but they will not succeed for long.

Indeed. Buying the domain names was a smart move, as is the fact that you cannot actually *move* a wiki from Wikia, only fork it. That means that the communities must compete against their old presence in Google rankings if they decide to move. Most of the community will go, of course, but it's still a severe handicap. Whether or not people make the switch is up to force of will and resources.

The Halo series wiki has already migrated to "Halopedian.com", which still cannot hold a candle to Wikia search rankings. In a similar boat is Memory Alpha, who established the wiki and the name before they migrated to Wikia but now have to deal with losing their old name (Memory Beta is already taken, but there's always Memory Delta?)

Interestingly, some on the MA page were saying that Wikia has actually removed local administration who didn't want to play ball. I wouldn't put it past them, but I was wondering if there was actual proof of that.
Jon Awbrey
Regarding the new direction wikia is taking

Hi Jimbo, just curious if you still have any direct control over wikia, because there's a pretty extreme situation over there. I thought your projects were dedicated to the free flow of information. Well the Wikia staff seem to be thinking exactly the opposite. They are forcing a "new look" that removes nearly all customization ability and causes accessibility issues while sacrificing effective screensoace management for ads that practically fill the screen. It also causes severe navigation issues, along with accessibility and usability problems. They have even gone to the extreme of globally banning editors and admins who disagree with them!!! At the Simpsons Wiki, after the community decided to move to ShoutWiki, that wiki's editors created a sitenotice with a link to the new wiki. Then the Wikia staff removed the link, underfed the editor who added it, and immediately desysopped and globally banned anyone who added it back or even tried to explain their reasoning to the staff! And that's just one of many large wikis who are moving away. I'm hoping that you aren't responsible for this, and that you can knock some sense into these people. Sorry for wasting your time! Thanks, Access Denied [FATAL ERROR] 07:02, 20 October 2010 (UTC)

underfed ???

Help, I'm being held captive by my spell-checker !!!

Jon tongue.gif
Text
Indeed. Buying the domain names was a smart move, as is the fact that you cannot actually *move* a wiki from Wikia, only fork it. That means that the communities must compete against their old presence in Google rankings if they decide to move. Most of the community will go, of course, but it's still a severe handicap. Whether or not people make the switch is up to force of will and resources.

But there's nothing to compete about, it's all about the love for a subject they like writing about. The ranks are minimally important (this isn't an encyclopedia or anything educational), and in any case they will grow later steadily. The thing which matters for the users is the layout of the page which has to remain fully customizable without any imposition or disturbance from a greater force, which isn't willing to negotiate.
thekohser
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Thu 21st October 2010, 7:48pm) *

The Halo series wiki has already migrated to "Halopedian.com", which still cannot hold a candle to Wikia search rankings.

Check this out...

Halo.wikia.com gets 161 external links from Wikipedia.

Halopedian.com gets only 56 links.

I wonder how the Linclusionists and the Delinctionists would feel about that imbalance?

Edit: Wow, this just gets more and more interesting. It's like a resistance movement!
BelovedFox
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 22nd October 2010, 2:25am) *

QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Thu 21st October 2010, 7:48pm) *

The Halo series wiki has already migrated to "Halopedian.com", which still cannot hold a candle to Wikia search rankings.

Check this out...

Halo.wikia.com gets 161 external links from Wikipedia.

Halopedian.com gets only 56 links.

I wonder how the Linclusionists and the Delinctionists would feel about that imbalance?

Edit: Wow, this just gets more and more interesting. It's like a resistance movement!

I doubt they're going to find any resistance to changing the links; Halopedian is likely to be the more useful external source in the future. Considering they've changed the syntax and thus amended the ELs on every related article, if somebody cared they would have already reverted.

Whether some Wikia guy is annoyed about that is another matter.
SB_Johnny
The "day job" stuff on Jimbo's page is getting pretty funny. Apparently he has time to remove questions on WP, but doesn't have time to actually answer anything on the day job site.

Which makes perfect sense since he actually makes more money off of WP, but...
Jon Awbrey
I've been noticing how many of these external links to ad-bearing commercial sites like Wikia are found in user space.This is pretty interesting in view of the fact that Meta-MeatHeads like Mike.lifeguard blanked my user pages and threatened me with Meta-Badlisting across all WP sibling sites for putting links to my former universities' home pages on my user page.

Makes you wonder how come the Delinctionists are not doing something about that?

Jon hrmph.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 22nd October 2010, 8:24am) *

Makes you wonder how come the Delinctionists are not doing something about that?

Jon hrmph.gif

Yes, it does make you wonder, doesn't it?
Seurat
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 22nd October 2010, 2:01pm) *

I like the "Wikipedia articles (x .002)" part. Cute. The little dollar signs were funny, too.
BelovedFox

Jon hrmph.gif

It's no secret that Wales has a clear interest in helping people link away to his for-profit enterprise, but that's a pretty bad graph (not to mention it doesn't really show much beyond an incidental correlation.) Since your ban had little to do with Wikia so much as your own side business, it's not a good comparison to make either.
thekohser
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Fri 22nd October 2010, 6:52pm) *

Jon hrmph.gif

It's no secret that Wales has a clear interest in helping people link away to his for-profit enterprise, but that's a pretty bad graph (not to mention it doesn't really show much beyond an incidental correlation.) Since your ban had little to do with Wikia so much as your own side business, it's not a good comparison to make either.

Why did the only period of decline in Wikia links occur just before my ban from Jimbo? My chart is awesome. And I am awesome. You are just a scrawny forest creature that has many predators.
Jon Awbrey
So why exactly is a Wikia page on a TV show or video game a reliable source for a Wikipedia article that mentions same?

Yes, it's a rhetorical question — I know damn well that blogs and {{cite-webs}} that lack the indulgence of Jimbo's personal blessing do not count as reliable, independent sources.

Jon dry.gif
Text
So why exactly is a Wikia page on a TV show or video game a reliable source for a Wikipedia article that mentions same?

Video games are computer-dependent or console-dependent, and they aren't described very much by conventional media. The need to turn to internet for getting information about those is necessary, because video game magazines come out only once a month.

TV shows are TV-dependent and are covered and described by TV. Much less they are described online.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Text @ Sat 23rd October 2010, 5:49pm) *

Video games are computer-dependent or console-dependent, and they aren't described very much by conventional media. The need to turn to internet for getting information about those is necessary, because video game magazines come out only once a month.

TV shows are TV-dependent and are covered and described by TV. Much less they are described online.

Look, anyone who thinks about it for a half a second knows that the same person who inserts a statement about a TV show or a video game in a Wikipedia article probably inserted the same statement in the referenced Wikia page. There is simply no semblance of Verifiability in these cases.

Jon dry.gif
Text
Look, anyone who thinks about it for a half a second knows that the same person who inserts a statement about a TV show or a video game in a Wikipedia article probably inserted the same statement in the referenced Wikia page. There is simply no semblance of Verifiability in these cases.

I noticed that most Wikia sites are made of content from Wikipedia. In many cases they're an exact copy.

1990: How do you pass your final exam to exit middle school and enter high school? Research carefully using books and write your small thesis using a pen. The teacher is happy to bother to verify and correct. The teacher gets paid to do the job and the student is happy to go on holiday.

2010: How do you pass your final exam to exit middle school and enter high school? "Research" on the internet, CTRL+V, print. The teacher still bothers to verify and correct, but is a bit more lenient and less strict. The teacher gets paid to do the job and the student is happy to go on holiday.

As for Wikipedia using Wikia as reliable source: do they worry? no, whatever, they'll take what they can take without much effort, it's all good anyway... for the scope they're following... what scope? They're happy to have something to read, something to do, something to control.
thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 10:54am) *

Somebody on Wikia itself seems to have taken an interest in this phenomenon, too.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 25th October 2010, 1:58am) *

Somebody on Wikia itself seems to have taken an interest in this phenomenon, too.

That is among the worst mediawiki skins I've seen. Apparently their app-art aesthetics dictate putting a two-inch blue margin on each side, as if my screen isn't tiny enough already.
Michaeldsuarez
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 25th October 2010, 4:01pm) *

That is among the worst mediawiki skins I've seen. Apparently their app-art aesthetics dictate putting a two-inch blue margin on each side, as if my screen isn't tiny enough already.

Web 2.0 sucks. Every website wants to be a Facebook. I tried to convince Wookieepedia to increase the width of their content area, but they decided to ridicule me instead. It's hard to rally Wikia users. They prefer asking nicely (as if that'll ever work: Wikia already banned a friend of mine for speaking out nicely).
tarantino
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 25th October 2010, 3:01pm) *

Odd, it doesn't look like that in my browser.
carbuncle
QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 26th October 2010, 2:03am) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 25th October 2010, 3:01pm) *

Odd, it doesn't look like that in my browser.

You're not blocking Facebook connect? I'm surprised.
Text
Web 2.0 sucks. Every website wants to be a Facebook.

Web 2.0 as it was in 2005 didn't look bad... this particular upgraded version has too many plug-ins and a strange mentality behind it.
In 5 years, content has become a secondary force, the primary forces are now the widgets. The pages are confused and provide little information, promoting the flashy aspects and the quick responses. It isn't about the hosting and storage facility, but about the interaction.
Emperor
QUOTE(Text @ Tue 26th October 2010, 9:01am) *

Web 2.0 sucks. Every website wants to be a Facebook.

Web 2.0 as it was in 2005 didn't look bad... this particular upgraded version has too many plug-ins and a strange mentality behind it.
In 5 years, content has become a secondary force, the primary forces are now the widgets. The pages are confused and provide little information, promoting the flashy aspects and the quick responses. It isn't about the hosting and storage facility, but about the interaction.

2005 was kind of nice. Broadband was humming along, but there were still enough people with dialup that widgets, scripts, multimedia, and all the other miscellaneous bs had to be held in check. Also the monetizers hadn't yet started scattering content all over the place to increase ad impressions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.