Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo having trouble with Facebook
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
thekohser
Poor Jimbo and his Facebook page for "JimmyWalesFans".

How did I possibly miss this page since September 8, 2008?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 3:56pm) *

Oh, I see that Jimbo unfriended you, Greg. I remember that you were friends with him before I was. I've just asked Sue Gardner if she wants to be friends too!
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 3:56pm) *

Well, he's doing better than Lyndon LaRouche at least.

The avatar labeled "Jimmy Wales" on that "wall" is actually an indeterminate entity speaking in the voice of the fan-page itself, and is not necessarily Jimbo.

Anyone with administrator rights of a facebook fan-page has the ability to post "as the page" rather than as oneself. The posts below that one appear to be forwarded from Jimbo's account on some other social gnetwerking site.

Jimbo's personal facebook page can be found here and uses a different photo. But if you look down the membership list you'll see he is listed as a fan of himself, and very well may have admin status on that fan-page.
thekohser
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 4th October 2010, 1:12pm) *

Jimbo's personal facebook page can be found here and uses a different photo.

The page you requested was not found.
You may have clicked an expired link or mistyped the address. Some web addresses are case sensitive.
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 4th October 2010, 12:38pm) *

I've just asked Sue Gardner if she wants to be friends too!

I think this one is cuter.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 11:56am) *

My Comment —

Jimmy Wales : Founder of Crowdfacing …
The Face That Anyone He Likes Can Make

Already 0-Zoned …

Jon ohmy.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 5:43pm) *

You may have clicked an expired link or mistyped the address. Some web addresses are case sensitive.

Oh. That clearly means he has you blocked.
http://i51.tinypic.com/jjs7yw.png
Jon Awbrey
Pet Wiki-Peeves —

Stuck-up people who pretend to be so “open” …

Jon tongue.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 4th October 2010, 2:54pm) *

Even when signed out of Facebook, using a different browser? How do it know? Anybody else see that CharlotteWebb's link works? If so, are you a "friend" of the page?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 8:33pm) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 4th October 2010, 2:54pm) *

Even when signed out of Facebook, using a different browser? How do it know? Anybody else see that CharlotteWebb's link works? If so, are you a "friend" of the page?

I can get on that page, yes. However, when you block somebody on Facebook, it IS as if you don't exist for that person. It's pretty radical actually...
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 4th October 2010, 4:42pm) *

I can get on that page, yes. However, when you block somebody on Facebook, it IS as if you don't exist for that person. It's pretty radical actually...

So, I guess Jimbo has it set that only existing friends can see the page? How would he ever get new friends on that page? I guess he could reach out and add them himself.

Imagine that -- a circle of friends populated only by people you have deemed from the outset of being friend-worthy.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 4th October 2010, 8:48pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 4th October 2010, 4:42pm) *

So, I guess Jimbo has it set that only existing friends can see the page? How would he ever get new friends on that page? I guess he could reach out and add them himself.

Imagine that -- a circle of friends populated only by people you have deemed from the outset of being friend-worthy.

Nope, you've got it backwards. I think that at some point Jimbo defriended you....and probably blocked you in the process. When you do that, the person blocked can't see the page...but pretty much anybody else can...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.