Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo can't iron shirts
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
thekohser
You would think Jimbo would take a bit more time to prepare for "Photo Day" at the WMF, but it looks like he just ran out to Kohl's or Marshall's, bought a shirt, and pulled it over him straight out of the retail bag. Nice creases, Jimbo.

P.S. Could the staff please make adding a photo here, even from an approved site, a bit f*cking easier?
Emperor
That's pretty funny.

I guess that's what separates us creative genius founder types from the dweebs ironing their own shirts. At least they didn't make him put on a tie.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th November 2010, 6:54am) *

P.S. Could the staff please make adding a photo here, even from an approved site, a bit f*cking easier?
I'm looking into this -- the obstacles to photo posting, as I recall, became necessary to prevent spyware mischief by Moulton. Since he is no longer part of the equation, I hope that we can relax the security protocols.
Tarc
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th November 2010, 9:54am) *

You would think Jimbo would take a bit more time to prepare for "Photo Day" at the WMF, but it looks like he just ran out to Kohl's or Marshall's, bought a shirt, and pulled it over him straight out of the retail bag. Nice creases, Jimbo.

You need to dig down to the actual URL (right-click, then "view image" in most browsers), no wiki-markup of any kind. You used;

CODE
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jimmy_Wales_July_2010.jpg

when it should have been;

CODE
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Jimmy_Wales_July_2010.jpg/400px-Jimmy_Wales_July_2010.jpg

as such;

thekohser
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 10th November 2010, 12:36pm) *

You need to dig down to the actual URL (right-click, then "view image" in most browsers), no wiki-markup of any kind. You used;

CODE
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jimmy_Wales_July_2010.jpg

when it should have been;

CODE
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Jimmy_Wales_July_2010.jpg/400px-Jimmy_Wales_July_2010.jpg

as such;

How did your "400px-" code get in there?

Is that something that we, the users of this message board "need" to do?
Milton Roe
biggrin.gif Yes, indeed, the crease patterns show that for the shoot, Jimbo just took a brand-new shirt, removed it from the plastic wrapping, and put it on. Perhaps he had a new shirt still in wrapper. I would not be surprised if he's not being stuck by a stray straightpin, and trying to hide it.

You know, Jimbo, the sorts of 5-star hotels you normally stay in, do have room steam-irons. You have to add water and may even have to plug them into the hairdryer outlet in the bathroom. smile.gif No? Wifey do all this stuff for you, before? We expect to see a burn or two, in future.

Of course if this is a WMF photoday shoot, Jimbo wouldn't be in a hotel. And wifey no doubt kept the iron. And the rolling pin.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 10th November 2010, 3:36pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th November 2010, 6:54am) *

I'm looking into this -- the obstacles to photo posting, as I recall, became necessary to prevent spyware mischief by Moulton. Since he is no longer part of the equation, I hope that we can relax the security protocols.

I'm pretty sure teh kohser is not talking about approving more sites or relaxing security protocols.

I think he means you should add a new syntax for thumbnailing images hosted on mediawiki sites which are already approved, namely commons and enwiki. I've suggested this on several occasions too.
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=31090
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th November 2010, 5:46pm) *

How did your "400px-" code get in there?

Is that something that we, the users of this message board "need" to do?

400px is the default image display width for image description pages on commons. In this case, Tarc copied the url of this default thumbnail, but could have changed it to some other size.
powercorrupts
He never wears the same shirt twice. Socks on the other hand...
Cedric
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th November 2010, 8:54am) *

Actually, the problem is a Wikimedia thing, not a WR thing. Here's the work-around:
1. On the image's Commons page, click on the "Download" icon;
2. Click on the desired size at the bottom of the pop-up box; and
3. Copy the URL and paste to WR.

Mach so:

thekohser
QUOTE(Cedric @ Wed 10th November 2010, 2:30pm) *

Actually, the problem is a Wikimedia thing, not a WR thing. Here's the work-around:
1. On the image's Commons page, click on the "Download" icon;
2. Click on the desired size at the bottom of the pop-up box; and
3. Copy the URL and paste to WR.

Thank you!

Leave it to Cedric to state it clearly.

Tiny Jimbo thanks you, too.

SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 10th November 2010, 12:56pm) *

Of course if this is a WMF photoday shoot, Jimbo wouldn't be in a hotel. And wifey no doubt kept the iron. And the rolling pin.

I sort of get the impression he might actually just live in hotels. Any bets on whether he still owns that shirt?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Wed 10th November 2010, 12:09pm) *

He never wears the same shirt twice. Socks on the other hand...

Ah. I forgot. He sometimes loses shirts in odd places. And his new (but not-gold-plated) washer also went with the ex.

unsure.gif Let me guess: He has a small refrigerator at the trailor park mansion, but there's nothing in it but beer and a pressure can of whipped cream.
EricBarbour
Alison
is that a goateed Shankbone on the right?? ohmy.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Alison @ Wed 10th November 2010, 2:41pm) *
is that a goateed Shankbone on the right?? ohmy.gif

No idea who those guys are---I stole them from rentboy.com. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.