Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unimportant Decision 2010
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Wordsmith
Well folks, looks like its election season again. Up for grabs are 11 ArbCom seats (9 two-year terms and two one-year terms vacated by Fritpoll and Vanished 6551232), unless our Dear F(l)ounder changes things to get his favourites on Arbcom.

At this point, NewYorkBrad and SirFozzie are pursuing re-election. The terms of FayssalF, Shell Kinney and Carcharoth are also expiring, but no word yet on what they'll do.

A few non-arbs have declared their candidacy: PhilKnight, Harej, and Chase me Ladies, I'm the Cavalry.

Its very early in the game, but any thoughts on this year's horse race?
jayvdb
QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Tue 16th November 2010, 8:37am) *

At this point, NewYorkBrad and SirFozzie are pursuing re-election. The terms of FayssalF, Shell Kinney and Carcharoth are also expiring, but no word yet on what they'll do.

Carcharoth has said he won't be a candidate in this election.
Kelly Martin
Oh, is it time to shuffle the deck chairs again? bored.gif yecch.gif yak.gif sick.gif
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 16th November 2010, 12:48pm) *

Oh, is it time to shuffle the deck chairs again? bored.gif yecch.gif yak.gif sick.gif

You should run. It would be the troll of the century.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 16th November 2010, 8:32am) *

I'm sure I'm ineligible; they have been progressively upping the edit count requirements to run and to vote so as to exclude trolls like me from consideration. Several people were very upset that I voted last year.
radek
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 16th November 2010, 9:32am) *

How about you Doc?
dtobias
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 16th November 2010, 9:41am) *

I'm sure I'm ineligible; they have been progressively upping the edit count requirements to run and to vote so as to exclude trolls like me from consideration. Several people were very upset that I voted last year.

Do you need recent edits to vote, or just lifetime edits? I haven't done much editing lately.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 16th November 2010, 9:43am) *
Do you need recent edits to vote, or just lifetime edits? I haven't done much editing lately.
They typically require a hundred or so edits in the past year to vote, and several hundred to a thousand in order to run. Pretty much limits the field to vandalwhackers and other obsessive types.
The Wordsmith
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 16th November 2010, 2:41pm) *

It requires 1,000 lifetime edits to articlespace, and that you be over 18. You appear to be eligible to run. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.
Doc glasgow
During this time, any editor in good standing who has made at least 1,000 mainspace edits before the opening of the nomination period and is of legal age and over 18 in their jurisdiction may nominate themselves

Looks like you are eligible.
Kelly Martin
I am nowhere near bored enough to do it, though. Perhaps if someone offered to pay me.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 16th November 2010, 5:20pm) *

I am nowhere near bored enough to do it, though. Perhaps if someone offered to pay me.

Oh, go on. I'll be your campaign manager, and I'm sure we can arrange an endorsement from the proprietors of Wikipedia Review. tongue.gif
The Wordsmith

That's too bad, it would be fun to see. There aren't expected to be very many candidates this year, so you might even win! No way Jimbo would ever appoint you, but it would expose his hypocracy.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Tue 16th November 2010, 11:37am) *
That's too bad, it would be fun to see. There aren't expected to be very many candidates this year, so you might even win! No way Jimbo would ever appoint you, but it would expose his hypocracy.
I'm sure if I announced a candidacy people would fall out of the woodwork to run against me. I'm not interested in spurring interest in wikiwanking, though.

Besides, I'd have to come up with a platform. Not to mention answering all those obnoxious candidate questions, although it would be fun to see how many times I can get blocked while doing so. Is "You stupid git!" currently considered incivil?
thekohser
I can attest that a run for ArbCom can be great fun, but it really does take a lot of time to do it right.
gomi
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 16th November 2010, 9:20am) *

I hereby pledge $100 to your favorite charity.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Tue 16th November 2010, 3:37am) *

Its very early in the game, but any thoughts on this year's horse race?

I don't see any horses. I just see a bunch of slobs with too much time on their hands. hrmph.gif

And what's with Chase Me in this pack? Isn't he supposed to be serving Queen and Country? ermm.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Tue 16th November 2010, 5:37pm) *

Oi I thought you disapproved of destroying Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=305729709 . And what are you doing in this nest of trolls anyway?
The Wordsmith
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 16th November 2010, 10:35pm) *

QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Tue 16th November 2010, 5:37pm) *

Oi I thought you disapproved of destroying Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=305729709 . And what are you doing in this nest of trolls anyway?

I *do* disapprove of destroying Wikipedia. Sometimes a shock to the system can be theraputic, though.

Yes, trolls come here, but so do other people. It is a place to discuss Wikipedia, and here I can say things that I can't say on-wiki.
A User
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 17th November 2010, 5:40am) *

I don't see any horses. I just see a bunch of slobs with too much time on their hands. hrmph.gif

No pastors this year either laugh.gif
EricBarbour
Perhaps if someone offered to pay me.

Yeah, right. tearinghairout.gif

(They have to give that money to Sue and Erik, how dare you ask for some???)
Milton Roe
QUOTE(jayvdb @ Tue 16th November 2010, 5:47am) *

QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Tue 16th November 2010, 8:37am) *

Carcharoth has said he won't be a candidate in this election.

Too bad. He was always one of my favorite admins. But for that reason, probably best not to inflict more ArbCom on him.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 16th November 2010, 1:36pm) *

I can attest that a run for ArbCom can be great fun, but it really does take a lot of time to do it right.

Yeah, too much effort for too few giggles.
BelovedFox
i have to wonder what will happen if not enough stand for election to fill spots unless low-percentage candidates are accepted...
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Wed 17th November 2010, 7:54pm) *
i have to wonder what will happen if not enough stand for election to fill spots unless low-percentage candidates are accepted...
Nothing of real interest; it doesn't really matter who the arbitrators are, after all.
The Wordsmith
I'm considering running if there aren't many candidates. I imagine another dozen editors are considering the same.
Jagärdu

... And what are you doing in this nest of trolls anyway?

QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Thu 18th November 2010, 4:25am) *

I'm considering running if there aren't many candidates. I imagine another dozen editors are considering the same.

Sounds like Peter Damian has his answer.
The Wordsmith
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 18th November 2010, 5:23am) *

Nah, I'm not here for the WR vote or anything. In fact, if I really, really want to be elected I should be staying as far away from this place as possible. If there aren't enough viable candidates, I may throw my hat in the ring for the hell of it. I'm not going to hit the campaign trail, though. If I don't win, its not a big deal.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Thu 18th November 2010, 12:50am) *
Nah, I'm not here for the WR vote or anything. In fact, if I really, really want to be elected I should be staying as far away from this place as possible. If there aren't enough viable candidates, I may throw my hat in the ring for the hell of it. I'm not going to hit the campaign trail, though. If I don't win, its not a big deal.
Wow, you're really jonesing for it, aren't you?
The Wordsmith
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 18th November 2010, 2:32pm) *

Participating at Wikipedia Review probably sinks any chance I might have had. Still, I could probably do a good job of it.
jayvdb
QUOTE(The Wordsmith @ Thu 18th November 2010, 6:50am) *

QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 18th November 2010, 5:23am) *

Why do you think posting on WR would reduce your chances of being elected?
iirc I didn't post on WR before or during the election in 2008 as I didn't want to be seen to be canvassing for additional support from this motley crew.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(jayvdb @ Thu 18th November 2010, 4:05pm) *
iirc I didn't post on WR before or during the election in 2008 as I didn't want to be seen to be canvassing for additional support from this motley crew.
Wikipedia's canvassing policy is idiotic, of course.
Doc glasgow
I'm considering standing, but as I don't have so much time, I'd be applying for a job-share post. Now, all I need is a co-nominee. I asked Giano, but he's not biting.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 18th November 2010, 4:58pm) *
I'm considering standing, but as I don't have so much time, I'd be applying for a job-share post. Now, all I need is a co-nominee. I asked Giano, but he's not biting.
I have seriously considered loaning out my account to anyone who wants to use it for some Christmas fun. Still on the fence about that too.
RMHED
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 18th November 2010, 10:58pm) *

Well I'm hoping Fred Bauder runs again, he would certainly get the votes of my 12 enfranchised sockpuppets.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 18th November 2010, 5:58pm) *

Sure. All you need is 15 minutes a week and a set of D&D dice, right?

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 18th November 2010, 9:32am) *

He's trying to be aloof. Or maybe a doof.

Oh, same diff. laugh.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 18th November 2010, 3:10pm) *
I have seriously considered loaning out my account to anyone who wants to use it for some Christmas fun.

In my thinking, "Christmas fun" involving Wikipedia would not involve "hijinks" on a WP server.

I daresay that "Christmas fun" would be more along the lines of belting David Gerard or Tony Sidaway in the mouth with a Yule log.
Now, that's entertainment.
thekohser
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 18th November 2010, 5:58pm) *

...I'd be applying for a job-share post.

What's job sharing? Is there a Wikipedia article about that?
Doc glasgow
Actually, I might have stood. But a) I'd get hammered again and b) if I did win, I am sure as hell not supplying my passport to the WMF...

...although I did wonder about supplying a photocopy of badly doctored Albanian passport, and seeing if they had a clue
Shalom
Harej is hare-brained. I met him at Wiki-meetup NYC 2009, and he's just a teenager. Not mature enough for ArbCom duty.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 19th November 2010, 1:04pm) *

Actually, I might have stood. But a) I'd get hammered again...

Hey, that's Chris Cunnigham's shtick! What kind of a Scottish comedian are you? Get your own jokes! dry.gif

QUOTE(Shalom @ Fri 19th November 2010, 1:33pm) *

Harej is hare-brained.

Rumor has it that Orlady and Harej are planning to run together:

CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Shalom @ Fri 19th November 2010, 6:33pm) *

Harej is hare-brained. I met him at Wiki-meetup NYC 2009, and he's just a teenager. Not mature enough for ArbCom duty.

BelovedFox
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 19th November 2010, 7:37pm) *

I met him at a meetup too, and I wasn't exactly blown away by his maturity, either, but his answers to the questions suggest that provided he keeps an even temperament he's got a good head.
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Sat 20th November 2010, 2:20pm) *
I met him at a meetup too, and I wasn't exactly blown away by his maturity, either, but his answers to the questions suggest that provided he keeps an even temperament he's got a good head.

If he is immature, then he is unfit for duty regardless of the alleged quality of his head. I'd say that in the absence of a large body of other evidence, anyone under the age of about 35-40 is unfit for this job.
Cla68
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sat 20th November 2010, 2:55pm) *

QUOTE(BelovedFox @ Sat 20th November 2010, 2:20pm) *

If he is immature, then he is unfit for duty regardless of the alleged quality of his head. I'd say that in the absence of a large body of other evidence, anyone under the age of about 35-40 is unfit for this job.

Who cares if he is mature enough for the job? It the WMF cared, they would be paying the Arbcom a salary and interviewing prospective arbitrators. All that matters is that the 18-year-old+ is willing and able to make some tough decisions and back them up with some socratic reasoning. Anyway, I thought MessedRocker had abandoned Wikipedia (based on a post here) and pursued other interests? He's still addicted to Wikipedia drama?
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sat 20th November 2010, 10:18am) *
Anyway, I thought MessedRocker had abandoned Wikipedia (based on a post here) and pursued other interests? He's still addicted to Wikipedia drama?
Wikidrama is very addictive, as everyone who reads and posts here well knows.
victim of censorship
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 19th November 2010, 12:50am) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 18th November 2010, 3:10pm) *
I have seriously considered loaning out my account to anyone who wants to use it for some Christmas fun.

In my thinking, "Christmas fun" involving Wikipedia would not involve "hijinks" on a WP server.

I daresay that "Christmas fun" would be more along the lines of belting David Gerard or Tony Sidaway in the mouth with a Yule log.
Now, that's entertainment.

I'm up for some "xmas fun"...
Shalom
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 19th November 2010, 2:37pm) *

You really like trolling me, don't you. I get a kick out of trashing decent folks like harej for no reason, but seriously, why do you need to respond with an ad hominem attack against me? Surely you could just as easily pile on harej, or on anyone...it's all the same to you, troll.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Shalom @ Sat 20th November 2010, 11:23pm) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 19th November 2010, 2:37pm) *

You really like trolling me, don't you. I get a kick out of trashing decent folks like harej for no reason, but seriously, why do you need to respond with an ad hominem attack against me? Surely you could just as easily pile on harej, or on anyone...it's all the same to you, troll.

Hey, don't you go talkin' to my woman that way! hrmph.gif
BelovedFox
At least the field's getting more interesting now. Actually have more candidates that slots tongue.gif

EDIT: And Giano's doing his best to make it about him somehow... :\
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.