Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Wales in the Independent
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
dogbiscuit
Jimmy Wales in the usual uncritical interview spouts the usual stuff, how it all works, blah, blah. Didn't bother to read in detail.

However, some of the standard criticisms have hit home and are defended, and the other co-founder gets full attribution, along with eBay mentions.
thekohser
PHOTO CAPTION: Jimmy Wales in London last week. The American plans to make the city his home

I wonder if Kira will relocate?
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 20th December 2010, 3:12pm) *

PHOTO CAPTION: Jimmy Wales in London last week. The American plans to make the city his home

If she isn't, it's probably safe to assume that he'll have all sorts of important speeches to give on behalf of the WMF back in Florida to justify his travel expenses.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 20th December 2010, 10:11pm) *

If she isn't, it's probably safe to assume that he'll have all sorts of important speeches to give on behalf of the WMF back in Florida to justify his travel expenses.

I hope we have something on him that fails the fit and proper person test, the thought of him staring out of the old goggle-box on regular occasions in the UK media is quite depressing.
EricBarbour
It seems strange that the man behind a concept that gives everyone the chance to contribute to a unique knowledge resource should be in awe of a chamber that is still derided for being undemocratic and anachronistic.

Not to me. Wales is clearly in favor of feudalism--with himself owning the manor, of course.
Preferably without having to earn it, or be born into it (which he wasn't--he's nobody otherwise).

And the first comment to the article, by Greg! Whatta guy!
Milton Roe
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 20th December 2010, 8:49am) *

Jimmy Wales in the usual uncritical interview spouts the usual stuff, how it all works, blah, blah. Didn't bother to read in detail.

However, some of the standard criticisms have hit home and are defended, and the other co-founder gets full attribution, along with eBay mentions.

Some good quotes:

QUOTE(article)
Where Wikipedia can improve, he admits, is in the diversity of its contributors. Around 100,000 volunteers are involved in editing on at least a monthly basis, allowing the site to operate with only a tiny staff of around 45. But editors are “over 80 per cent male and tech-savvy”, he says, meaning that subjects such as “sociology or romantic poetry” can be neglected. “Whatever 26-year-old tech geek males are interested in we do a very good job on. [But] things that in other fields we really have a hard time with, because when we get somebody who knows about Keats, we usually have to ban them quickly for being drama queens."

Not that Wales wants everyone to be an editor. “We’ve never been about participation for participation’s sake. We are trying to build an encyclopaedia." So what about the moto that Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anybody can edit? "Well, that's still true," admits Wales, "but at the same time, we hope they won't."

Wales believes the quality of articles has markedly improved. This is partly due to protection measures recently introduced for the most sensitive articles (such as the biography of George W Bush), where all changes are subject to a delay so that they can be reviewed by an established Wikipedia editor. “Where we’ve gotten to now is fairness. Not that Wikipedia wasn't fair before, when I opposed this whole protection thing. But it's now that-much-more fair. Wikipedia's always fair whatever I decide to do with it, because I'm just a fairness-oriented kid of guy," says Wales.

His focus is moving to the east, specifically to India where in the next six months Wikipedia will open its first office outside of America, probably in Mumbai or Bangalore. Increasing the number of articles in Indian languages is “really key”, he says. “We have 50,000 articles in Hindi and tens of thousands in other languages, so we already have active communities there but we are still very far behind the European languages. So that's why we are going to India. It's not that they speak English and work cheaply. No." (Here Wales waggles his head in Indian fashion). "It's that they do speak Hindi, and even I don't have to tell your good self that we need very many more Hindi articles straightaway."

Okay, I admit that I've continued the quotes where the newspaper cut Jimbo off, like they should have done with his droll interest in English Lords and hobnobbing with whoever is presently the 24th Earl of Arsefarddle. They saved Jimmy from SOME embarrassment in that piece, but not enough.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 20th December 2010, 8:12pm) *

"has a girlfriend with a home in London"
lonza leggiera

“Whatever 26-year-old tech geek males are interested in we do a very good job on. [But] things that in other fields we really have a hard time with, because when we get somebody who knows about Keats, we usually have to ban them quickly for being drama queens."

I wonder who on Earth that could have been.
thekohser
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 21st December 2010, 3:26am) *

"Kira, this is your London mommy. I want you to listen to her and be mindful, because your Florida mommy is 4,411 miles away."
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 21st December 2010, 2:42pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 21st December 2010, 3:26am) *

"Kira, this is your London mommy. I want you to listen to her and be mindful, because your Florida mommy is 4,411 miles away."

I do wonder what the attraction is to living in London for someone like Jimbo. Is it that he has been to a few good parties so he thinks it's a great life. Aside from the nightlife, London doesn't have a lot of charm - fun to visit, even frequently, but to settle down in when you can earn a living elsewhere? Odd. I think the charm of Britain is in its countryside - it simply does not do cities well at all.
lilburne
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 21st December 2010, 4:50pm) *

I do wonder what the attraction is to living in London for someone like Jimbo.

Maybe some one should send him a review biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Smilies added for Americans
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 21st December 2010, 10:50am) *
I do wonder what the attraction is to living in London for someone like Jimbo. Is it that he has been to a few good parties so he thinks it's a great life. Aside from the nightlife, London doesn't have a lot of charm - fun to visit, even frequently, but to settle down in when you can earn a living elsewhere? Odd. I think the charm of Britain is in its countryside - it simply does not do cities well at all.
London is chock full of celebrities, potentates, and other Significant Persons. San Francisco wasn't bad for this, but London beats the socks off it in that regard.

Also, there are more castles in the general vicinity of London than most other places in the world. And Jimbo has always wanted to own a castle.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 21st December 2010, 5:24pm) *

London is chock full of celebrities, potentates, and other Significant Persons. San Francisco wasn't bad for this, but London beats the socks off it in that regard.

Also, there are more castles in the general vicinity of London than most other places in the world. And Jimbo has always wanted to own a castle.

The only castle for residence near London is Windsor - I don't think Liz is selling. I'm pretty sure that we could find him a place in the Tower though. Any stately homes will need quite a few million to buy.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 21st December 2010, 12:24pm) *

To be fair: if he's really been a lifelong anglophile obsessed with all things English, and if he's a city lover (urbophile?), it's understandable that he'd want to live in London. mellow.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 21st December 2010, 9:26am) *

Yup, do you suppose that this information is in a "reliable source"?
lilburne
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 21st December 2010, 6:59pm) *

The only castle for residence near London is Windsor

Hadleigh Castle is a fixer-upper and not that far away.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 21st December 2010, 12:34pm) *

Full-Width Image
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 21st December 2010, 8:34pm) *

With a few of his reliable sources, he might be able to blag his way in to a grace and favour home as a Beef-eater.
RMHED
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 22nd December 2010, 12:24am) *

QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 21st December 2010, 8:34pm) *

With a few of his reliable sources, he might be able to blag his way in to a grace and favour home as a cocksucker.

Better
Doc glasgow
Full-Width Image

Note: This castle-related building is a stub. You can help Jimbo by expanding it.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 22nd December 2010, 6:11am) *

Note: This castle-related building is a stub. You can help Jimbo by expanding it.

smile.gif Leading to an idea to caption a few of those penis pictures that grace COMMONS:

Note: Ladies, this cold-weather-related photo of Our Sole Founder is a stub. You can help Jimbo by expanding it.

Ottava

TSA Checkpoint.
Infomercial
The most important message...

Is that supporting Wikipedia is supporting world peace?
Is that shaving is for people with low self esteem?
Is that money is actually maybe the lower trunk of all evil?
is that we have absolutely nothing to do with WikiLeaks

Oh, now we're doing this. Alright, fine. When he got rid of the wiki format, it would have been a good idea to rename the site, but you can't change the past. Getting your guys at Wikia to buy WL domain names isn't helping your position, though. What wonderful ideas of re-branding do you have, anyway?
I wish they were called Open Leaks.

From the Open Directory Project: And we wish you'd suck a cock!

After working as a futures trader, Jimbo set up Bomis, a male-oriented dot-com business focusing on “babes”

[cough]prostitutes[/cough]

notes that “if you become an administrator in Wikipedia, you are pretty much in for life as long as you behave yourself”

And, of course, never disagree with your divine
constitutional monarch where I have certain reserved powers

Yeah, that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.