Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ariel Toaff
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
lilburne
Ariel Toaff is a Jewish professor of Medieval and Renaissance History who provoked death threats following the publication of his latest book. The article focusses exclusively on the last book, linking to every negative comment printed against both him and the book. Basically the book puts into some context why the 'Blood Libel' against Jews gained a hold in various parts of Medieval Europe imbued with ideas of magical practices and talismans, but not in others that were similarly being persecuted. The book seems to portray a community under severe pressure from their Christian neighbours and how that communities developed internal defences to it.

Ariel Toaff's response to the academic criticism is here and an English translation of the book is here.
EricBarbour
The day after you posted this, someone removed everything about that book.
Silver seren
Looks like that expanded information on the book was added by User: Nishidani (T-H-L-K-D). His user page is...disconcerting. I'm fairly certain that i've engaged with him before on other articles, but I don't remember seeing his user page before.

Who keep a list of their blocks as some sort of token of pride, really?
Infomercial
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sat 1st January 2011, 9:50pm) *

People who are never blocked, maybe? shrug.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Infomercial @ Sat 1st January 2011, 6:54pm) *
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sat 1st January 2011, 9:50pm) *
People who are never blocked, maybe? shrug.gif

You guys are new here. Nishidani was one of the editwarriors in the Israel-Palestine conflict.
Thus. He was one of the few that pushed the Palestinian side of the story/mess.
He was quite good at it too. Didn't help, Arbcom still banned him from editing any article related to
Israel, Palestine, or related subjects.

This vile stuff in the Toaff article is typical of what happens when manic POV-pushers run wild on your
"encyclopedia". No one knows how many biased things Nishidani, or his foes, inserted into articles
that don't directly relate to the core subjects, like BLPs of authors who have written about Israel/Palestine
related subjects. We'll probably never know.

(PS: Nishidani is editwarring on Shakespeare subjects nowadays.....guess he can't stop.
He has friends, so he keeps getting away with it.)

lilburne
It looks like both of the I/P sides were in there polishing and tarnishing for their respective side, the loser being Ariel Toaff.
Silver seren
User:RL0919 (T-H-L-K-D) added in some info on the latest book again, but did so in a much more subdued and actually informative way. There should probably be info on the guy's other books, but at least it's being treated a lot more even-handedly now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.