Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wales's indifference to truth
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
Peter Damian
It's not so much that he is a liar. It's just that he cannot understand why people should worry about lying. He is totally indifferent to the truth.
gomi
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 4th January 2011, 10:58am) *
It's not so much that he is a liar. It's just that he cannot understand why people should worry about lying. He is totally indifferent to the truth.

Thus, the perfect spokesmodel for Wikipedia!
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 4th January 2011, 11:58am) *

Indeed. He should have been a lawyer, except that would have involved actually paying those legal secretaries to do 95% of his work. In the legal world, a brief is sort of is all about "verifiability, not truth." Where verifiability refers to your citations to statutes and rulings.

If you want a judge to rule in your favor, you make the judge emotionally WANT to, and then give the judge legal "reason" to cover his ass. The hilarious thing is that all the whining about Wikilawyering actually captures what is closest to the essense of WP, which is legal debate, not scientific debate. And the same with a jury, but fewer cittaions needed. Open court work (a very small minority of law) isn't really about truth, either. Instead, it's more like an ArbComm case, with theatrics and stuff about bringing in evidence of past dastardly deeds, for maximal shock value.

Jimbo is in politics, but a type of politics in which you never need to debate. Perhaps closer than to law, would be show business. If Jimbo in a former life had been an engineer, WP would not be as we know it. Instead he comes from a world where perception is reality. Yet another irony, as that that world is the one that Ayn Rand hated most of all (or claimed to-- the similar irony in her case is that her "Objectivist" movement eventually got ensnared in the very same thing, but that's another story).
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 4th January 2011, 7:23pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 4th January 2011, 11:58am) *

Indeed. He should have been a lawyer,

In my experience, lawyers are very careful about how they tell lies, and very often, as they have some sort of reputation to preserve, they tell the truth.

Wales has none of that. Complete indifference both to the lie, and to its consequences. Quite a different matter.
Peter Damian
----- Original Message -----
To: "Peter Damian" <peter.damian@btinternet.com>
Cc: "Will" <wjbscribe@gmail.com>; <User.CoolHandLuke@gmail.com>; <arbcom-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: Fw:

>On 1/4/11 2:33 PM, Peter Damian wrote:
>You're saying that lying doesn't matter, then. Just as I thought. You
>surround yourself with liars, you lie to yourself, you are indifferent
>to the truth. Fair enough.

I said no such thing. If you want to look for examples of someone lying
to themselves, start with someone who is putting words in someone else's
mouth in order to jump to a desired conclusion.

I am telling you the absolute solid truth Peter, and I passionately
support the truth. You are unable to hear me because... well... you
figure it out, I have no idea.

I think this conversation is over.

>
thekohser
Any way we can get a link to this conversation, or is it all a private dialog?
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 4th January 2011, 9:18pm) *

Any way we can get a link to this conversation, or is it all a private dialog?

Wales emailed me out of the blue this morning, asking about a question I had put to Arbcom in December.

I said I was simply looking for the truth about my block of Dec 2007 - I was annoyed on learning recently that Boddy had blocked me while knowing about the oversights, and while at at the same time denying all knowledge of them. More recently Boddy had written to me (see below) apologising for the block, regretting everything that had happened, and saying that he 'had been misled about certain key facts'. Fair enough, but then I learned that, at least according to FT2's statement here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=400248828 , Boddy had known all along.

Wales' reaction was to ask why I was obsessing about something that had happened 3 years ago, and that both FT2 and Boddy were telling the truth. I replied that, since the accounts contained internal contradictions, and that both could not be telling the truth (in logic we call this the Principle of (non) Contradiction or PNC). Moreover I suffer from a personality disorder that means I get angry when persistently lied to.

According to Boddy

To: "Peter" <Peter.Damian@btinternet.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: Recent deletions from Wiki database

>I have no knowledge of any content deletion in relation to this
> matter.

To: "Peter" <peter.damian@btinternet.com>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: Rename

> I regret the way things turned out back in December 07 and since then.
> I realise now that I was misled as to certain key facts. Had I been in
> possession of the full picture and particularly had those
> oversightings (which showed tremendously poor judgment on the part of
> those involved) not taken place, I think the result would have been
> very different. And I think much more satisfactory. I suspect you will
> think that the reason I didn't have the full picture was that I didn't
> do enough to try to discover it. Perhaps a fair criticism in
> retrospect.
>
> What would you like to happen next? I am not sure if you actually wish
> to be unbanned. But if you do want to continue editing Wikipedia
> (something that, in the circumstances, would be quite remarkable) then
> I am willing to argue that the ban is ludicrous, which I think it
> clearly is.
>
> Kind regards
> Will
>

According to FT2

To be clear the user (Wjbscribe) has not suggested that any wrongdoing took place at the time nor asked for any disclosure of the point in public or private, but I wish to disclose it anyway. I am ashamed to have forgotten the December 2007 timeline that much and were it not for finding it in my own old logs and my own trust in the user's integrity I would remain skeptical. The logs I did know of or was asked to look at, I checked and found nothing. This one contained the clearest case that I had known of the edits back when they took place. It seems that the 370 KB or so of Q&A at Arbcom election 2007 pushed the initial events of that case out of mind (the chat with this user took place on 7 December 2007). In brief, I not only knew of the oversighted edits but the user had advised me on their oversighting and I had known at the time it took place that it was being done.
title=Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2010/Candidates/FT2/Questions&diff=400583902&oldid=400248828

There is a long thread about Boddy here http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=93994 . There is a link somewhere about his defending Essjay.

a few people wrote to express support for Essjay, along the lines of WJBscribe, who left a message saying: “Just wanted to express my 100 percent support for everything you do around here. I think you were totally entitled to protect your identity. Don’t let all the fuss get you down!”
http://weirdtechnewshub.blogspot.com/2007/...ki-fantasy.html

" I passionately support the truth" - my arse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.