Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia Comes Of Age : Wiki-ΦisoHex Stock Soars
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed
Wikipedia Comes of Age
Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription)

It seems like a lifetime ago when I would stop into a Barnes and Noble to look up a fact in one of the books in the reference section...

View the article

Moderator's note: Some of the discussion of this article (and similar ones) was moved to this thread, and at least two other threads also discuss various issues related to the media's treatment of Wikipedia's tenth anniversary.
Newsfeed
Wikipedia at 10 : a web pioneer worth defending

The Guardian — “Ten years ago, Jimmy Wales typed "Hello world" into a wiki, and Wikipedia was born. Like all new enterprises, nobody knew exactly what to make of it … ”

and more »

View the article
thekohser
Apparently with the money they saved by letting go of Seth Finkelstein, The Guardian has been able to hire Sue Gardner as a writer.
thekohser
thekohser

13 January 2011 1:54PM

I'm happy to see that The Guardian has dispensed with the charade of finding an "independent" journalist to regurgitate the public relations pablum that the Wikimedia Foundation serves up, and simply gave Sue Gardner her own spot to issue forth her propaganda.
Jon Awbrey

I wrote this in The Guardian just 2 years ago:

Wikipedia has shown us that a mass medium can be rendered so plastic and so well-leveraged that any part of it can be manipulated by a relatively small number of people, in ways that defy a free society's usual means to guard against it, so long as the special interests in question have a moderate amount of resources and the will to do so. If there are portions of the content that remain untouched, it is for two reasons only: (1) no one has conceived a stake in them yet, (2) virgin forest makes for good cover.

If you're thinking that Wikipedia is the Latest Thing in Blows Against The Empire, then you have a DoubleThink coming.

— Jon Awbrey, Comment in The Guardian, 30 Jan 2009, 2:02 am

It appears that nothing has changed since except that once-professional media have grown even lazier, more amateurish, and far less inclined to critical analysis and investigative journalism.

— Jon Awbrey, Comment in The Guardian, 13 Jan 2011, 2:42 pm

Newsfeed
In praise of Wikipedia : Wiki birthday to you

The Economist — “The Internet's omniscience is one of its most useful and transformative features [Citation needed]. Whether you want to look up an obscure word or phrase … ”

View the article
Jon Awbrey

Thank you, Wikipedia, for teaching us that falsehood is more viral than truth.

Jon Awbrey, 13 Jan 2011 GMT 5:32

thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th January 2011, 8:57am) *

thekohser

13 January 2011 1:54PM

I'm happy to see that The Guardian has dispensed with the charade of finding an "independent" journalist to regurgitate the public relations pablum that the Wikimedia Foundation serves up, and simply gave Sue Gardner her own spot to issue forth her propaganda.

This comment has been removed by a moderator. Replies may also be deleted.

Looks like The Guardian has fully adopted the Wikimedia Foundation ways and means.
Jon Awbrey

I see that The Guardian is “Not-Censored” in the same way that Wikipedia is “Not-Censored”, through the deletion of any critical opinion, no matter how civil and true.

— Jon Awbrey, 13 Jan 2011 @ 6:36 PM

Jon Awbrey

One may find additional discussion of this article in the Free World beyond the Wiki-Curtain, to wit, on this thread at The Wikipedia Review.

— Jon Awbrey, 13 Jan 2011 @ 9:08 PM

thekohser
I see that I have a new status on The Guardian:

# Logged in as thekohser
# Click here to sign out
#

Your comments are being premoderated.

That's a tactic straight out of Foundation-l's mailing list.
thekohser
I shall laugh at the Guardian Media Group, as it goes from a 2008 profit of £306,000,000...

to a 2009 loss of £97,000,000...

to a 2010 loss of £171,000,000.

Good luck with those comment moderation practices after you've shuttered the doors.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th January 2011, 10:10pm) *

I shall laugh at the Guardian Media Group, as it goes from a 2008 profit of £306,000,000...

to a 2009 loss of £97,000,000...

to a 2010 loss of £171,000,000.

Good luck with those comment moderation practices after you've shuttered the doors.

Maybe the WMF can buy them out and put a big picture of Jimmy on the cover of ever issue, as part of their non-profit mission to give him more speaking engagements.
Jon Awbrey

Wikipedia at 10 : a web pioneer worth defending

The greatest threat to this remarkable collaborative model of
non-profit information sharing is not commerce, but censorship.

Full-Width Image
thekohser
It's terribly simple to set up a new account on The Guardian.

Let's see how long this comment lasts:

GregoryKohs

14 January 2011 1:16PM

Wikipedia is wonderful. I praise the media for making room to recognize the contribution that this resource has made to our world. Wikipedia doesn't get enough attention. It's also refreshing to read these new and stimulating ideas from executive director Sue Gardner. I don't think she's received enough opportunities to communicate the good deeds that Wikipedia performs, so it's a blessing to see that The Guardian has dedicated this small bit of space for her to deliver the message that needs to be heard -- censorship is the greatest threat to open communication on the Internet, not an erosion of the "net neutrality" concept (Internet service providers in America will be happy to hear that).

I would also like to praise Jimmy Wales, the sole founder of Wikipedia, but I'm afraid that I just don't have the time (and only 4,158 characters) to properly give him all of the praise and credit that he so much deserves!

Praise be to The Guardian, for shepherding in this new age of Internet dialog and inclusiveness!
thekohser
An article by Daniel Terdiman.

At least he accurately covers the Sanger v. Wales struggle.
Jon Awbrey
I got one of those pop-up surveys just now. After answering 3 questions I got this:

Thank you for choosing to start this survey but unfortunately you have to live in the United Kingdom to continue.

No man is an island, but I guess some whole countries are.

The sun has set on the UK e-pyre —

The Guardian has left the building.

Jon tongue.gif
Cedric
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th January 2011, 8:54pm) *

I see that I have a new status on The Guardian:

# Logged in as thekohser
# Click here to sign out
#

Your comments are being premoderated.

That's a tactic straight out of Foundation-l's mailing list.

Meh. The Guardian accorded me that status back in September. Does this mean I am now a greater wiki-heretic than Greg? Perish the thought! rolleyes.gif
Giano
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th January 2011, 1:52pm) *

Apparently with the money they saved by letting go of Seth Finkelstein, The Guardian has been able to hire Sue Gardner as a writer.

Sue Gardner "....and it's true that in its early days, Wikipedia wasn't very good." That's because we did not have her to guide us and bestow her wisdom I suppose.

Giacomo
Newsfeed
As Wikipedia Turns 10, It Focuses on Ways to Improve Student Learning

Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription) (blog)
As Wikipedia hits its 10th year of operation, it is making efforts to involve academics more closely in its process. ...

View the article
Jon Awbrey

Thanks, Wikipedia, for teaching us that falsehood is more viral than truth.

— Jonny Cache, 15 Jan 2011 @ 12:38AM

Somey
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 16th January 2011, 12:41am) *

Bumping this up so I have a chance of finding it tomorrow …

Jon boing.gif

Which one? Sorry, I've been merging all these due to their general worthlessness.
Jon Awbrey
26. jonawbrey - January 16, 2011 at 02:11 am

Re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WMFstratplanSurvey1.png

I didn't click the link — checking facts is so last millennium — but I'm wondering if it says anything about the average number of divinity degrees held by Wikipedia “editors”? I can hardly wait for the days when we get our basic demographic data for government appropriations and proportionate representation by crowd-sourcing the Census — that will be a “con”-census for sure.

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 16th January 2011, 2:07am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 16th January 2011, 12:41am) *

Bumping this up so I have a chance of finding it tomorrow …

Which one? Sorry, I've been merging all these due to their general worthlessness.

Some of us have spent quite a lot of time making multiple comments on some of (what used to be) the better Op-Ed sites, and it would be nice if those were moved up to the News Worth Discussing forum like our FAC says we do, cause some of us still spend time talking to the outside world about (what used to be) outside world concerns and even dare to refer outside world folk back here now and again. Newsfeed threads from Wiki-Podunk @ Large that no one comments on can probably be merged after a day or so.
Jon Awbrey

Casper Grathwohl, “Wikipedia Comes of Age”, Chronicle of Higher Education, 07 Jan 2011

Casper Grathwohl is vice president and publisher of digital and reference content for Oxford University Press.

Oxford English Dictionary Online : Personal Subscription £205.00 (+VAT) per year

H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y — and you can look it up …

Jon tongue.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 16th January 2011, 1:45am) *
Some of us have spent quite a lot of time making multiple comments on some of (what used to be) the better Op-Ed sites, and it would be nice if those were moved up to the News Worth Discussing forum like our FAC says we do, cause some of us still spend time talking to the outside world about (what used to be) outside world concerns and even dare to refer outside world folk back here now and again. Newsfeed threads from Wiki-Podunk @ Large that no one comments on can probably be merged after a day or so.

You're right, I've been too aggressive about this, at least with the more recent stuff... Though I did move at three things into News Worth Discussing just now.

I'll check to see if anything in here should be un-merged...
Jon Awbrey
Sometimes we engage in running discussions with folks at the Chronicle, Economist, Guardian, NPR, and we often post links back here against the frequent possibility of having our posts there deleted, so it would be nice if the integrity of threads from (what used to be) the higher class sites could be maintained.
Jon Awbrey
Lost In Lodi Again …

Jon hrmph.gif

RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:32pm) *

Lost In Lodi Again …

Jon hrmph.gif

blink.gif

Jon Awbrey

27. jonawbrey - January 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

“Casper Grathwohl is vice president and publisher of digital and reference content for Oxford University Press”

Oxford English Dictionary Online : Personal Subscription £205.00 (+VAT) per year

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/academi...780198605553.do

H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y -- and you can look it up ...

Go Ahead Punk, Eat A Peach —

Jon tongue.gif
Jon Awbrey

28. fred_bauder - January 19, 2011 at 09:40 am

With respect to certain comments: They are being made by people who have been banned from Wikipedia as a part of our on-going effort to improve quality. I'm embarrassed to see such dirty-laundry being aired out here, but that is what a good-washing out results in.

Wikipedia is the encyclopedia everyone can edit, really, and experienced teachers and researchers who have a committment to the development and dissemination of knowledge and are willing to engage the public are especially welcome. You can made substantial contributions and maybe have some fun too.

One warning though, cite reliable sources, and never, never say "I'm a professor; I'm the leading authority in the field; I don't have to cite sources."

Chronicle.com/article/Wikipedia-Comes-of-Age/125899#comment90045

thekohser
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 19th January 2011, 11:04am) *

28. fred_bauder - January 19, 2011 at 09:40 am

With respect to certain comments: They are being made by people who have been banned from Wikipedia as a part of our on-going effort to improve quality. I'm embarrassed to see such dirty-laundry being aired out here, but that is what a good-washing out results in.

Wikipedia is the encyclopedia everyone can edit, really, and experienced teachers and researchers who have a committment to the development and dissemination of knowledge and are willing to engage the public are especially welcome. You can made substantial contributions and maybe have some fun too.

One warning though, cite reliable sources, and never, never say "I'm a professor; I'm the leading authority in the field; I don't have to cite sources."

http://chronicle.com/article/Wikipedia-Comes-of-Age/125899/

Freddy would know how to do some "good-washing" out of Wikipedia. That's where you find the good stuff, then wash it out.
Jon Awbrey

32. seth_finkelstein - January 19, 2011 at 11:59 am

If people really want a critic's response to the "launching point" argument, I'll address it in specific. In my view, it's a trivial statement which means far less that it appears. And is too often used as a kind of trump card when it's nothing of the sort. That is, any half-baked collection of discussion and links on a topic can be a "launching point". A rant of complete gibberish can even be a "launching point" if it has sources. Yet people don't often often point to sites full of quack medical advice, crank legal theories, or nonsense economics, and say it's a good starting point if one doesn't rely on the scholarship of the articles themselves but looks at the original sources.

Basically, categorically, if you wouldn't say something about "A random webpage on the topic, written by anonymous author or authors, of uncertain agenda and unknown experience", then you shouldn't say it about "a Wikipedia article". Because cherry-picking to contrary, there is no assurance those two are distinct.

Wikipedia's monopolization here, where it's taking the time and effort of academics who could write high-quality articles, and throwing all that into the grinder which is Wikipedia politics and community dysfunction, strikes me as like pounding nails through bricks using your forehead and then justifying it by saying at least you got some construction done.

Chronicle.com/article/Wikipedia-Comes-of-Age/125899#comment90070

thekohser
Damn, Seth is good.

Sounds like he might be setting himself up for a good-washing, though, over on Wikipedia.
Jon Awbrey

34. jonawbrey - January 19, 2011 at 10:24 pm

The long and short of it is that the longer students participate in editing Wikipedia the more bad habits they will acquire. Wikipedia Culture (WC) is radically different from Academic Culture (AC), and the more time developing personalities spend in WC the more their conduct will depart from the norms of scholarship and citizenship both.

Chronicle.com/article/Wikipedia-Comes-of-Age/125899#comment90145

Jon Awbrey

35. jonawbrey - January 20, 2011 at 09:04 am

I think we all understand that there are many people of good will who edit Wikipedia. But good will is not what pervades the Wikipedia system as a whole. What pervades Wikipedia over and above everything else is a lack of desire for the truth.

Chronicle.com/article/Wikipedia-Comes-of-Age/125899#comment90166

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.