Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laughable ... Sue Gardner uses "No Connection" Wikileaks
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
Who are these people ...

Just a few weeks ago, Jimbo was dancing limbo to disassociate Wikileaks from Wikipedia and to escape from answering just why they owned all those Wikileaks domain names (was that ever cleared up?). Now Sue uses a Wikileaks association for credibility in an anti-censorship rant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/ci...ipedia-internet

This deserves only one thing ... no, not a moar song parody ... but a David Hasselhof video!

Cock-up-over-conspiracy
God, that video is so bad ... it can only be shot for German TV.
thekohser
This all ties in, I'm sure, with Jimbo's new attack on Apple... given that Apple didn't give the Wikimedia Foundation $2 million, but Google (Apple's competitor, in many ways) did.
anthony
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th January 2011, 7:17pm) *

This all ties in, I'm sure, with Jimbo's new attack on Apple...

Jimbo's new attack on Apple? Got a link? I thought Jimbo was a Mac fanboy.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 13th January 2011, 3:47pm) *
What manner of beast are you, mere mortal, to seek to impose consistency on the Great and Holy Jimbo?
thekohser
QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 13th January 2011, 4:47pm) *

Jimbo attacks Apple.
anthony
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 13th January 2011, 10:48pm) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 13th January 2011, 4:47pm) *

Jimbo attacks Apple.

So does that mean he's going to stop wearing black turtlenecks?
anthony
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 13th January 2011, 10:31pm) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 13th January 2011, 3:47pm) *
What manner of beast are you, mere mortal, to seek to impose consistency on the Great and Holy Jimbo?

Actually I read the article and I'm not even sure he was really attacking Apple so much as defending Google and being misquoted.

It's really easy to misquote Wales, since he usually wants you to believe he means the exact opposite of what he's saying.
EricBarbour
This must be "Jimbo Talk To Press, Him Big Important Guy" week or something.

This ran on BBC today.

However, he said, many people get confused - including airport security, he said.

But the two still have a loose association.

Technically, the Wikia company has until this week legally owned domain names including wikileaks.net, wikileaks.com and wikileaks.us.

"We transferred the domains to them but they never completed the technical part," said Mr Wales. "All they needed to do was sign in and complete the transfer but they have never done it."

He said the domains had been registered "defensively" when Wikileaks launched in 2006.

"When they first launched they put out a press release that said the 'Wikipedia of secrets', which would have been a trademark violation.

"So someone in the office registered two or three domains."

He said that he regularly tries to prompt Wikileaks' founder Julian Assange to complete the transaction, to no avail.

"I saw someone else say that he's prone to saying 'I'm busy fighting superpowers' and that's exactly what he said to me."

Mr Wales said the domains would expire "this week".

"I'm not renewing them," said Mr Wales.

"We may ping them and say they are loose."
yecch.gif
thekohser
"Someone" in the Wikia office took out 2 or 3 (there were at least 5) Wikileaks domain names to defend the Wikipedia trademark, which Wikia does not own.

Got it, Jimbo.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 13th January 2011, 8:32pm) *

"I saw someone else say that he's prone to saying 'I'm busy fighting superpowers' and that's exactly what he said to me."

ZOMG, Julian no kiss Jimbo ass, Jimbo angry!!!

I guess we know why he doesn't like Wikileaks now.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 13th January 2011, 6:32pm) *

This must be "Jimbo Talk To Press, Him Big Important Guy" week or something.

This ran on BBC today.

However, he said, many people get confused - including airport security, he said.

But the two still have a loose association.

Technically, the Wikia company has until this week legally owned domain names including wikileaks.net, wikileaks.com and wikileaks.us.

"We transferred the domains to them but they never completed the technical part," said Mr Wales. "All they needed to do was sign in and complete the transfer but they have never done it."

He said the domains had been registered "defensively" when Wikileaks launched in 2006.

"When they first launched they put out a press release that said the 'Wikipedia of secrets', which would have been a trademark violation.

"So someone in the office registered two or three domains."

He said that he regularly tries to prompt Wikileaks' founder Julian Assange to complete the transaction, to no avail.

Mr Wales said the domains would expire "this week".

"I'm not renewing them," said Mr Wales.

"We may ping them and say they are loose."
yecch.gif

Kohs, here's YOUR chance to now register them "defensively." Whenever somebody traces them down, it will give you a chance to tell the True Story. For quite some time. biggrin.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 13th January 2011, 10:07pm) *

Kohs, here's YOUR chance to now register them "defensively." Whenever somebody traces them down, it will give you a chance to tell the True Story. For quite some time. biggrin.gif

Sounds delicious, but not much return on the substantial investment in time and fortune.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 13th January 2011, 10:07pm) *

Mods, please delete that post and create a soop3r s33kr1t forum so that we might organize a purchasing committee. laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.