Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Public records are stalker's territory
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
thekohser
If the Wikipedia article about Jimmy Wales includes information about the county where he married the second time, whomever put that in there is a "stalker", in Jimbo's estimation.

Here, we see the accused stalker respond and clarify.

With Will Johnson presumably off the list of suspects now, I guess that makes me (married in Monroe County, Florida) the stalker, then.
Shalom
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 18th January 2011, 2:29pm) *

If the Wikipedia article about Jimmy Wales includes information about the county where he married the second time, whomever put that in there is a "stalker", in Jimbo's estimation.

Here, we see the accused stalker respond and clarify.

With Will Johnson presumably off the list of suspects now, I guess that makes me (married in Monroe County, Florida) the stalker, then.

Don't be a coward. If you wrote that stuff, admit it clearly. Saying "I guess that makes me" the guy who wrote something is disingenuous.
thekohser
QUOTE(Shalom @ Tue 18th January 2011, 3:54pm) *

Don't be a coward. If you wrote that stuff, admit it clearly. Saying "I guess that makes me" the guy who wrote something is disingenuous.

Shalom, if you will explain what exactly you mean by "wrote that stuff", I will be happy to oblige you with details that will astound you with their ingenuousness.

If at that point you feel moved to apologize for calling me "a coward", I'll be happy to entertain that motion.
SB_Johnny
popcorn.gif
thekohser
Shalom, do you mean this?

...as I recall a stalker put it there after digging up my marriage certificate and finding that he had gotten married in the same county.

Jimmy Wales wrote that stuff. I didn't write that stuff.

Is Jimmy Wales the coward you're seeking to identify? Because I can tell you that the evidence is pretty damn clear that what Jimmy Wales "recalls" there is a complete fiction.
Detective
Quick, mods, please correct the title of this thread before Mr Kohs sees it! You know how he hates grammatical errors! It should of course say either "stalkers'" or "a stalker's". Thanks.
thekohser
QUOTE(Detective @ Wed 19th January 2011, 4:57am) *

Quick, mods, please correct the title of this thread before Mr Kohs sees it! You know how he hates grammatical errors! It should of course say either "stalkers'" or "a stalker's". Thanks.

It's reporting about one (specific) person's perspective. Therefore, the title is correct, Michael.
thekohser
In one of those rare moments for Jimbo, he apologizes. But only to the falsely-accused "stalker". Jimbo still believes the location of his second marriage is not allowable into Wikipedia, until there is independent coverage that treats it in detail.

I smell a commentary article brewing for Examiner... "Getting Married in the Florida Keys".

evilgrin.gif
Kelly Martin
Ah, yes, "no original research". Wikipedia's misunderstanding of what this means is, as usual, idiotic. The idea that an encyclopedia author cannot use public records to either provide or verify factual biographical information about a person is lunatic. In this case, Jimmy is using both "not notable" and "original research" to mean "true things I don't want talked about".
thekohser
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 19th January 2011, 10:46am) *

Ah, yes, "no original research". Wikipedia's misunderstanding of what this means is, as usual, idiotic. The idea that an encyclopedia author cannot use public records to either provide or verify factual biographical information about a person is lunatic. In this case, Jimmy is using both "not notable" and "original research" to mean "true things I don't want talked about".

Indeed. Jimmy has an administrator on his site named "Orlady" who spends an inordinate amount of time poring over state education records to tar and feather "diploma mills" with information that Jimbo would certainly classify as "original research".

Example.

Example.

Example.

She does a lot of editing on Wikipedia during the business day, as well as at night. It would be a shame if she were paid by the taxpayers of Tennessee for an elected job that allows her so much wiki-fiddling. Let's hope that's not the case!
Shalom
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 18th January 2011, 10:56pm) *

Shalom, do you mean this?

...as I recall a stalker put it there after digging up my marriage certificate and finding that he had gotten married in the same county.

Jimmy Wales wrote that stuff. I didn't write that stuff.

Is Jimmy Wales the coward you're seeking to identify? Because I can tell you that the evidence is pretty damn clear that what Jimmy Wales "recalls" there is a complete fiction.

I owe you no apology. In my rush to score a point, I did not lookup the diff, but I did read your language carefully. You wrote "I guess that makes me...the stalker" who inserted the fact that Jimbo was married in Monroe County into the "Jimmy Wales" article on Wikipedia. Either you did insert it, or you didn't. If your intent was, "I guess Jimmy Wales thinks I must have been the stalker who inserted the fact that he got married in Monroe County" then you could have said it that way. Instead, you give the impression that maybe you did edit the biography, and maybe you didn't, and you ain't tellin'.
thekohser
QUOTE(Shalom @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:58pm) *

I owe you no apology. In my rush to score a point, I did not lookup the diff, but I did read your language carefully. You wrote "I guess that makes me...the stalker" who inserted the fact that Jimbo was married in Monroe County into the "Jimmy Wales" article on Wikipedia. Either you did insert it, or you didn't. If your intent was, "I guess Jimmy Wales thinks I must have been the stalker who inserted the fact that he got married in Monroe County" then you could have said it that way. Instead, you give the impression that maybe you did edit the biography, and maybe you didn't, and you ain't tellin'.

Shalom, this is why you have less of a trustworthy reputation on this site than I do.

You didn't even read the content that was spoon-fed to you, but you concluded that I was being cowardly.

It never entered your mind that Jimmy Wales could be simultaneously wrong on two counts: (1) that I edited his Wikipedia biography to include the location of his second marriage; and (2) that I am a "stalker". Instead, without even reading the evidence, you jumped to calling me a "coward".

Okay.

See, mods... this is what some of us who produce entertaining and informative content for Wikipedia Review are talking about when we say the forum would be better off without the distractions of a few attention-seekers who can't even be bothered to read before "scoring a point".
Zoloft
I can score points here? Damn, how many have I missed?!

*scrambles to get a scorecard*
Detective
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 19th January 2011, 11:32am) *

It's reporting about one (specific) person's perspective. Therefore, the title is correct

No. If it is about one stalker in particular, then it should be the stalker's territory. hrmph.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Wed 19th January 2011, 12:18pm) *

I can score points here? Damn, how many have I missed?!

*scrambles to get a scorecard*

You've missed 1,677 WR points. You didn't know? At 10,000 you get a Taco Bell coupon. I expect mine sometime in early 2014.
thekohser
QUOTE(Detective @ Sun 23rd January 2011, 4:40pm) *

It's reporting about one (specific) person's perspective. Therefore, the title is correct

No. If it is about one stalker in particular, then it should be the stalker's territory. hrmph.gif

Does anyone else agree with this idiot? Is the "the" really necessary? Headlines are often shortened for effect and concise delivery.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 30th January 2011, 6:32pm) *

QUOTE(Detective @ Sun 23rd January 2011, 4:40pm) *

Does anyone else agree with this idiot? Is the "the" really necessary? Headlines are often shortened for effect and concise delivery.

Milton Agrees: Telegraphic Headline Style Okay
Zoloft
*chews gum while not kicking ass*

Well, yeah.

If not, the title would have to be:

Monroe County, Florida Public Records Deemed to be Jimbo Wales's Stalker's Territory, Co-founder of Wikipedia Claims

...and then the terrorists win.
thekohser
Zoloft
Greg Kohs: He makes popular websites sit up and bark.
evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.