Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Wales on Wikipedia, Larry Sanger on Jimmy Wales
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed
Jimmy Wales on Wikipedia, Larry Sanger on Jimmy Wales

New Statesman (blog)
In tomorrow's issue of New Statesman (it's good, you should buy it … every week) I've written a profile on one of the most influential men around …
SB_Johnny
"No, I don't vote. I have in the past, but . . ." He pauses again, and then says: "It's a rather odd reason why I don't. In Florida, in order to vote, you have to register with your actual address, and for security reasons, for the safety of my family - because there are many, many lunatics - I can't register to vote with my real address. If I could register to vote with a fake address I could vote, but apparently that's a felony." He concedes that "it sounds slightly paranoid. But," he says, "it's not paranoid."

<*cough*>Greg?<*cough*> laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 26th January 2011, 10:04am) *

"No, I don't vote. I have in the past, but . . ." He pauses again, and then says: "It's a rather odd reason why I don't. In Florida, in order to vote, you have to register with your actual address, and for security reasons, for the safety of my family - because there are many, many lunatics - I can't register to vote with my real address. If I could register to vote with a fake address I could vote, but apparently that's a felony." He concedes that "it sounds slightly paranoid. But," he says, "it's not paranoid."

Yes, bugger-all when teh interwebs remove some of your privacy, eh, Jimbo? Be glad you personally haven't been contributing to that horrible phenomenon, else you wouldn't be able to speak today about it, with such selfrighteous hurtful outrage. ermm.gif

Oh, you would ANYWAY? ohmy.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 26th January 2011, 12:04pm) *

You should talk to Danny Wool sometime. He was Employee #2 of the Wikimedia Foundation. He saw some things. I'm led to believe Jimmy Wales was toting a gun to the Bomis/Wikipedia office long before I was ever on his radar. Jimbo's first edits to Wikipedia were about firearms. He has enemies who truly wish him harm, but I certainly hope he doesn't include me among them.

Now, that being said, I think this story of him not giving his actual address is more of a heroic-sounding cover for the actual fact that he'd rather not be easily served papers, he doesn't want you looking up the value of his mobile home on Zillow.com, and that he's too lazy and indifferent to vote.
thekohser
For those interested in his puffery, a transcript of Jimbo's blathering is here.

To see Jon Bernstein's full article, though... if you're an American, it's going to cost you a subscription to the magazine, costing hundreds of dollars. No thanks.
anthony
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 26th January 2011, 8:48pm) *

For those interested in his puffery, a transcript of Jimbo's blathering is here.

JW: I don't vote. I have in the past but - it's a rather odd reason why I don't. In Florida in order to vote you have to register with your real, actual address, and for security reasons, for the safety of my family -- because there are many, many lunatics -- I can't register to vote with my real address. If I could register to vote with a fake address I could vote, but that's apparently a felony.

Ha, just realized someone else had already pointed out that quote.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 26th January 2011, 3:27pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 26th January 2011, 8:48pm) *

JW: I don't vote. I have in the past but - it's a rather odd reason why I don't. In Florida in order to vote you have to register with your real, actual address, and for security reasons, for the safety of my family -- because there are many, many lunatics -- I can't register to vote with my real address. If I could register to vote with a fake address I could vote, but that's apparently a felony.

I guess Wales' ex-wife doesn't vote either. unhappy.gif

It's rather a shame that Florida is one of those states that makes voter registration information public. And it's a special outrage that they have a little program that you can request it not to be, if you're any kind of government official-- even a firefighter (who doesn't like firefighters?? wacko.gif ).

Jimbo could requrest an exception if he could prove he'd ever been a victim of a stalking or hassessment crime, but mere fear of becoming a stalking or harassment victim in the future, doesn't count in Florida.

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/pdf/Public...quest_07-14.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.