Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hypothetical Question: Account Trading/Lending
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
BananaShowerMonkey
I am not sure if this is likely or possible, but here's my rationale:

1. In every MMORPG, some accounts (high-level) are more valuable than others.
2. Those accounts are more likely to be sold, traded or lended, just by transferring the password and the ID.
3. Wikipedia is part MMORPG.
4. Therefore, it seems plausible that accounts can be traded or lended.

My question would be: IF that is happening, WHERE is/would be the marketplace for such an enterprise?

Kevin
QUOTE(BananaShowerMonkey @ Sun 13th March 2011, 8:17pm) *

2. Those accounts are more likely to be sold, traded or lended, just by transferring the password and the ID.

My question would be: IF that is happening, WHERE is/would be the marketplace for such an enterprise?

Cue Greg....

thekohser
QUOTE(BananaShowerMonkey @ Sun 13th March 2011, 5:17am) *

I would say Wikipedia Review is a good place to start. As the one-time owner/operator of a Wikipedia admin account, I have some experience in the category. I would be happy to act as the arbitrator or broker between any two parties that each want to remain undisclosed to the other. I'd be more comfortable if each would sign a binding non-disclosure agreement (real names!) with me, which would in fact help protect the transaction for both parties.

I think my contact info is readily enough available.

Greg
anthony
mods please delete this message and the one that quotes it
melloden
QUOTE(anthony @ Sun 13th March 2011, 4:06pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 13th March 2011, 1:01pm) *

As the one-time owner/operator of a Wikipedia admin account, I have some experience in the category.

Ha, one-time. Whatever you say Noxidca wink.gif

Are you saying Greg is User:Acdixon?

BananaWhatNot, you're an idiot for asking. Also, what use is an account for you, anyway? It's not like you'd get away with deleting the main page or anything.
BananaShowerMonkey
QUOTE(melloden @ Sun 13th March 2011, 6:53pm) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Sun 13th March 2011, 4:06pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 13th March 2011, 1:01pm) *

As the one-time owner/operator of a Wikipedia admin account, I have some experience in the category.

Ha, one-time. Whatever you say Noxidca wink.gif

Are you saying Greg is User:Acdixon?

BananaWhatNot, you're an idiot for asking. Also, what use is an account for you, anyway? It's not like you'd get away with deleting the main page or anything.

It's BananaShowerMonkey and I need a Wikipedia account as much as i need balanital chancroids.
I wanted to know if its technically possible, if its done and if i can add another point to my list of things which keep me from thinking that wiki is "essentially a good thing".
But thanks for your reply smile.gif
thekohser
Monkey, if you're not necessarily looking for admin accounts, this thread about "PACMAN accounts" might be of interest to you.
BananaShowerMonkey
Fascinating. Thanks. smile.gif
gomi
Also this and this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.