Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Omnicircus
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
I have your blatant self-promotional Wiki article for this week.

Omnicircus.

How do I know? Because last night, I attended this show at Omnicircus.

And in the course of introducing a band, Omnicircus owner Frank Garvey cheerfully joked that
he created the Wikipedia page about Omnicircus.

Not only did he use the name Omnicircus (T-C-L-K-R-D) , it appears that he (or a friend)
massaged said article, under this IP address.

Yes, it's an AT&T DSL line in San Francisco. On Natoma Street.
Omnicircus happens to be at 550 Natoma Street. Golly gee, how about that.

Said article is almost FIVE YEARS OLD. And nobody has seen fit to act.

If you don't believe me, call or email Frank and ask him directly.
thekohser
How do you trace an IP address down to a specific street, Eric?
melloden
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 28th March 2011, 1:52am) *

Often it's not that accurate. Mine traces about ten miles too far to the east.

But apparently either Omnicircus' IP was a coincidence or Cali IPs are more accurately traced.
EricBarbour
And now, the sexy and meaty A. B. has tagged it for advert/COI.

You should have done that in 2006, not after waiting for someone to post it on WR.

Isn't it funny how the Faithful badmouth WR routinely, and yet when someone posts a problem
article on WR, a certain few badmouthers rush back into WP to (pretend to) fix it? Although I
hasten to add that A. B. (T-C-L-K-R-D) isn't really such a bad sort, nooo not at all.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(melloden @ Sun 27th March 2011, 7:44pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 28th March 2011, 1:52am) *

Often it's not that accurate. Mine traces about ten miles too far to the east.

But apparently either Omnicircus' IP was a coincidence or Cali IPs are more accurately traced.

It may be the last, though the address will never be any better than the address of the nearest ISP "node." These vary from technology to technology.

Example: my home computer shows up geolocated to the city I live in, in California, due to the fact that I am connected to the net (right up to my exterior modem box at the corner of the house) via a FiOS fiber optic Verizon link, and these things are put in city-by-city, as Verizon fiber optic franchises. http://www.fiberexperts.com/california-fios.html

I believe that much the same is true of older DSL nodes, although the DSL "line"at my office (also Verizon) geolocates to a nearby city, not the one where the office is. It rides on an ordinary phone line, so DSL is much more diffuse and regional inasmuch as the number of ISP nodes needed in an area, or locatable to an area.

Wi-Fi might be something else again. In theory, you should be able to geolocate to the hotspot that is providing the service. However, that info may be deliberately masked.
Diana Trimble
I don't see what you're so bitter about. There's nothing on there that isn't true.

Sometimes with underground arts a person does have to start an entry themselves and I don't see what's wrong with that. Just because something hasn't been in the NY Times doesn't make it unworthy of notice.

Besides, loads of information on Wikipedia is of very poor quality and highly opinionated with the information tightly controlled by Wiki-nazis who claim ownership of a topic. Often the point of view represented on Wikipedia is no more objective than Fox News and often even more conservative and mainstream.

Some examples: I have tried without success to correct and add to entries on the work of John Michell and Stonehenge but yet find time after time that it is removed and changed. It seems completely arbitrary because on the one hand "alternative theories" regarding extraterrestrials are allowed but John's stuff regarding mathematics and geometry, which at least has demonstrable basis in fact, is considered yet even still more fringe by whatever wiki-nazi is controlling the Stonehenge page. Other pages I've given up on correcting include the one pertaining to the Amanda Knox (wrongful) conviction and there are many many more.

And don't get me started on Courtney "Love" who is referred to as some kind of living genius instead of the vile pretender that she is in actual fact.

So instead of spreading poison about some little art gallery on Natoma Street, why don't you try to correct the far more serious crimes against information that are ALL OVER Wikipedia?

If it sounds like I know Garvey and Omnicircus personally, well yes I do. He's my friend from when I lived in SF and I love him. It sounds like you know Garvey too. Only you don't like him. That must be why you are going on this personal vendetta which I came across purely by chance.

Get a more important mission my friend!

With love from London.
thekohser
QUOTE(Diana Trimble @ Wed 4th May 2011, 12:38pm) *

...why don't you try to correct the far more serious crimes against information that are ALL OVER Wikipedia?

Most of us here tried that between 2005 and 2007 or 2008. We've come to the conclusion that you can't correct the crimes against information that are ALL OVER Wikipedia, because Wikipedia was designed to commit such crimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.