Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Article in Skeptical Adversaria
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Peter Damian
I have just had an article about Wikipedia published in the Spring 2011 edition of Skeptical Adversaria. Not a major publication, but it is citable as a 'reliable source' (edited by Prof. Michael Heap of the University of Sheffield who authored an early study of Neurolinguistic Programming - remember that?).

Heap writes

This issue of the Skeptical Adversaria features a critical article on Wikipedia by Ed Buckner (page 2) in which he ends by advising sceptics not to edit Wikipedia. There may be readers who contribute, or have contributed, to Wikipedia and who would like to present their own views on this important topic. If you are one such reader you are very welcome to have your views aired in the next issue of the newsletter.

If any Wikipedians (or non-Wikipedians) would like to comment, the contact form is here

http://www.aske-skeptics.org.uk/contact-form/

Subscription to the Adversaria and other publications is a modest £10 per year.
thekohser
Edward, can you give us even a brief teaser from the article?

What's a sceptic (skeptic?)?
Cock-up-over-conspiracy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 17th April 2011, 12:24am) *

When a narcissistic wound isn't treated properly in time, it turns sceptic.
Peter Damian

A recognised (or 'recognized') alternative spelling of 'skeptic', Greg. There is little you will have not already heard from me on this forum.

Wikipedia by Ed Buckner
Wikipedia is an extraordinary idea: an internet encyclopedia that ‘anyone can edit’. It is based on a principle (‘crowdsourcing’) first articulated in 1906 when Francis Galton discovered that the crowd at a country fair accurately guessed the weight of an ox when their guesses were averaged. The average was closer to the true weight than the estimate of any member of the crowd, including expert estimates. According to the principle, a crowd of anonymous people editing Wikipedia will produce a reference work that is closer to the truth than the work of any individual editor; closer even than the work of any expert on the subject.

Unfortunately the principle of crowdsourcing has not really worked for Wikipedia, for a number of reasons that sceptics, and all those who care about the scientific method, should be concerned about. Everyone at the country fair had an interest in guessing the weight of the ox correctly. Not everyone who edits Wikipedia has an interest in getting the facts right. This leads to a systematic bias on Wikipedia against scientific neutrality.

I shall briefly talk about the kind of article which is vulnerable to this bias, and give some reasons why it exists at all.

[...] An article in Wikipedia is almost certain to be the first result in a search on an internet search engine such as ‘Google’. [...] Those who promote ‘alternative’ theories of reality on Wikipedia do this nearly always because they are the main proponents of the theory, or because they have a financial interest in promoting it. [...]there is an inherent conflict of interest in the principle of ‘anyone can edit’ and ‘anyone can make their point of view public to everyone on the Internet’. A fringe editor has a strong reward in seeing their biased advertising in full public view. The reward for the sceptic is for no one to see it, and so their contribution is entirely invisible. Since there is no reward system in Wikipedia for enforcing neutrality - editors are anonymous and unpaid and receive no official recognition for their efforts - there is a flaw in the whole ‘compensation system’.

[...] ... design flaw in Wikipedia itself. Accounts are anonymous, and although it is prohibited, there is nothing to stop an individual from creating as many different accounts as they want. The use of alternative accounts or ‘sockpuppets’ is widespread. Anyone caught playing dirty will be blocked by an administrator, unless they have influence in the Wikipedia administration itself. [...] Regular battles in the rank and file are mirrored by intense secret battles in the administration, including the powerful ‘arbitration committee’, who are the final court of appeal.

People used to talk about the ‘military-industrial complex’ in the 1960s. Now there is the ‘Google-Wikipedia complex’. Search for ‘Integral Theory’ in Google, and a number of sponsored links appear at the top and at the side, together with thousands of links in the body of the search. These are advertising cures for all kinds of ailments - mental, bodily and spiritual. How do I know whether these cures are reliable, and that their purveyors are reputable? Well, first among these stands the Wikipedia article on Integral Theory. It has some sort of reputation among the public as a reliable source. They do not realise that Wikipedia is just another advertisement.
Gruntled

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sceptic
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Gruntled @ Sun 17th April 2011, 12:04pm) *

Yes and hence my remark above about 'recognise/recognize'. But we are straying from the topic.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 16th April 2011, 2:12pm) *

I have just had an article about Wikipedia published in the Spring 2001 edition of Skeptical Adversaria.

Peter is apparently trying to build a case for time travel. Don't be fooled.

Correction: After Peter revised his post, it appears much less eventful.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 17th April 2011, 7:55am) *

A recognised (or 'recognized') alternative spelling of 'skeptic', Greg. There is little you will have not already heard from me on this forum.

Some of what Ed Buckner (is Peter Ed?) writes seems on the mark, but there are also problems caused by "skeptics" on fringe and pseudoscience topics, because *some* of the most ardent skeptics are also ideologically driven hacks who worship members of the skeptical community as if they were cult leaders. What Wikipedia needs are more experts editing topics they have expertise in. If these experts are also "skeptics" great. The problem is that skeptics are often not experts, just editors who think they are doing the Lord's work by debunking fringe theorists. In some areas they may be doing a good job of keeping entries neutral and reliable by simply parroting the work of professional skeptics, and at other times that is not the case. For instance, the American skeptical community's POV on NRMs is completely out of wack from mainstream social science. It is important to recognize that the skeptical community has its own ideology, and that this ideology is not always the most scientific.
thekohser
QUOTE(Gruntled @ Sun 17th April 2011, 7:04am) *

How do you pronounce it? Like "sceptre", or like "sky"?

Thanks for giving us this excerpt, Peter Damian Buckner. I like your military-industrial complex metaphor, my friend.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Sun 17th April 2011, 3:06pm) *

there are also problems caused by "skeptics" on fringe and pseudoscience topics, because *some* of the most ardent skeptics are also ideologically driven hacks who worship members of the skeptical community as if they were cult leaders. What Wikipedia needs are more experts editing topics they have expertise in. If these experts are also "skeptics" great. The problem is that skeptics are often not experts, just editors who think they are doing the Lord's work by debunking fringe theorists. In some areas they may be doing a good job of keeping entries neutral and reliable by simply parroting the work of professional skeptics, and at other times that is not the case. For instance, the American skeptical community's POV on NRMs is completely out of wack from mainstream social science. It is important to recognize that the skeptical community has its own ideology, and that this ideology is not always the most scientific.

By coincidence, in the same issue Mark Newbrook writes

‘skeptical heroes’: prominent thinkers who have achieved such a high status in the skeptical community that many other skeptics (who may not be expert in the disciplines in question) hesitate to criticise their ideas and may indeed become offended when they are criticised. I noted that some of these thinkers are – interestingly – best known for their opposition not to obviously ‘fringe’ thought but to currently popular mainstream ideas – especially ideas such as ‘global warming’ which some believe have been embraced too readily for non-scholarly reasons.

But obviously anyone who starts holding views for 'ideological reasons' is no longer a sceptic, properly understood.

I held off discussing the case of global warming as I'm not an expert and because it's just too 'difficult'. Nonetheless, probably the biggest problem with editor-admin COI occurred in that area, and a few others. (The Israel-Palestine one is another that is just 'too difficult').
Gruntled
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 17th April 2011, 3:51pm) *

How do you pronounce it? Like "sceptre", or like "sky"?

Like scepsis.
Peter Damian
Apologies, the article has already been placed on the web - I didn't know this. You can read it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5532250/newsletter%202011-1.pdf. It has already been spotted and there is a discussion on Wales’ page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jim...h_fringe_topics

Ironically, one of those complaining about the reference to NLP (Fainites) is himself a commercial practitioner of NLP (at least, according to evidence presented by Tarantino a while back – I will check). Others are complaining it is a WR led attack. SilverSeren has suggested examining some of the articles, e.g. ‘Integral Theory’ for evidence of bias. Good luck.

[edit] Yes I was right. Fainites is Lucinda Davis http://www.nlpconnections.com/members/fainites.html . So one of the people complaining to Jimbo about my allegations of COI in Wikipedia has a COI. Lovely.
A Horse With No Name
Wikipedia is an extraordinary idea: an internet encyclopedia that ‘anyone can edit’. It is based on a principle (‘crowdsourcing’) first articulated in 1906 when Francis Galton discovered that the crowd at a country fair accurately guessed the weight of an ox when their guesses were averaged.

Does that principle still work? What do you say that we all try to pitch in and guess Newyorkbrad's weight? evilgrin.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 18th April 2011, 6:55am) *

Apologies, the article has already been placed on the web - I didn't know this. You can read it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5532250/newsletter%202011-1.pdf.

In all seriousness, it is a wonderful article. Petey deserves a big Horsey kiss for this. MWAH! wub.gif
-DS-
Alright, now who's gonna add this to the Academic studies about Wikipedia article? I want to see the edit wars!
Peter Damian
More idiocy

Heh, looks like we've all been very well played. I should have caught it earlier, but it's not like I know Wikipedia Review inside and out. That article in the Skeptical Adversaria was written by Peter Damian. SilverserenC 19:13, 18 April 2011 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=424701363

(1) It's a Wikipedia offence to 'out' editors, even if they are banned. You could be banned yourself for doing that.

(2) What are you implying? Because it was written by a banned editor, regardless of their academic credentials, and of the value of the article, the article therefore lacks any value? Wiki-idiocy.

[edit] For proof of the accuracy of the article, see the revision history to the Levitation article http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history . You see it has undergone two sets of substantial revisions. The first by William Connolley, after I sent an earlier draft of the paper to him for comment in the first week of March. He promptly corrected some of the mistakes I had noted in that article. The second by ResidentAnthropologist, after seeing the article in print.
-DS-
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 18th April 2011, 9:18pm) *

More idiocy

Heh, looks like we've all been very well played. I should have caught it earlier, but it's not like I know Wikipedia Review inside and out. That article in the Skeptical Adversaria was written by Peter Damian. SilverserenC 19:13, 18 April 2011 (UTC)

(1) It's a Wikipedia offence to 'out' editors, even if they are banned. You could be banned yourself for doing that.

Now the revision is RevDel'd, which makes no sense, since PD's real name is already on WP for all to see.
Silver seren
Iridescent reverted it anyways. I don't consider it outing when you explicitly state it here anyways, but whatever.

I think your personal opinion about Wikipedia makes you more biased than the next person. I never said you were wrong, it's just that your article should be taken with a grain of salt.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:29pm) *

Iridescent reverted it anyways. I don't consider it outing when you explicitly state it here anyways, but whatever.

I think your personal opinion about Wikipedia makes you more biased than the next person. I never said you were wrong, it's just that your article should be taken with a grain of salt.

And why do you think I have those opinions about Wikipedia?
Silver seren
Because you've stated them before? Practically everyone here has?
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:38pm) *

Because you've stated them before? Practically everyone here has?

This does not answer the question of why you think I have those opinions, which you claim are biased.

[edit] To be clear, I am not asking why you think those are my opinions. I am asking you why you think I arrived at those conclusions (or opinions or whatever)? Perhaps because I have studied Wikipedia for many years?
Silver seren
Are you saying that you do not have a negative opinion of Wikipedia, which makes a review of Wikipedia by you more biased than a review by a random sociologist (for example)?

Do you have a neutral opinion of Wikipedia? No major feelings one way or the other?

Edit: People can arrive at any conclusion that they wish to. Yours is likely because of your own personal bad experiences with Wikipedia, which is perhaps not felt by the next person.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:48pm) *

Are you saying that you do not have a negative opinion of Wikipedia, which makes a review of Wikipedia by you more biased than a review by a random sociologist (for example)?

Do you have a neutral opinion of Wikipedia? No major feelings one way or the other?

You really are a very confused little man. I have a negative opinion about scientology, a negative opinion about the British National Party, and quite a few other things. Does that fact in itself logically imply that I am biased?

It depends how I arrived at those conclusions. In the case of Wikipedia fringe articles, from careful study of them, and how they were written.

Do I have a neutral opinion of Wikipedia? Yes. Do I have a positive view of Wikipedia? No.

Edit: People can arrive at any conclusion that they wish to. Yours is likely because of your own personal bad experiences with Wikipedia, which is perhaps not felt by the next person.

I try and eliminate any personal feeling when on the subject of fringe articles. As I mentioned above, substantial revisions have already been made to the articles cited in my paper.
Silver seren
Again, I never said your specific comments about articles were incorrect. However, your major conclusions about Wikipedia have the possibility of being biased. And I really find it hard to believe that you don't have a negative view of Wikipedia.

Having a negative opinion of something and then writing a critique about it would, yes, mean that you are biased or, at the very least, less credence should be given to the critique than to one by someone who is uninvolved with the subject doing a study.
Somey
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 2:57pm) *
Again, I never said your specific comments about articles were incorrect. However, your major conclusions about Wikipedia have the possibility of being biased. And I really find it hard to believe that you don't have a negative view of Wikipedia.

I think you're missing the point, Mr. Seren - this is a single-author article in a publication that has accountability and identifiability from the publisher on down. The basis of Mr. Damian's negative viewpoint is certainly relevant, but it doesn't in itself make anything he's saying less relevant, valuable, or true. The reader is supposed to determine the value of the argument for himself, there's no real pretense of objectivity.

Whereas, by claiming to be "neutral," Wikipedia attempts to lull the reader into a false sense of security - essentially saying "you can trust us because it's us, not just me, when in fact an article could very well be the work of a single individual. Your response in those cases has been to fix the articles in question when you find biases in them, which is all well and good - but Mr. Damian's suggestion that people not bother doing so, in order to better expose the original biases, is not necessarily any worse an approach. (And for an actual expert, it's almost certainly better, or at least less frustrating.)

Sorry for my overuse of italics, btw...
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

What is it about the Pee-dia that allows snitches to thrive and multiply ... and for how long and for what purpose do we need to suffer this brown noser? As if Jimbo's arse is not licked clean enough already by all the teenage boys on the site.
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:48pm) *
Are you saying that you do not have a negative opinion of Wikipedia, which makes a review of Wikipedia by you more biased than a review by a random sociologist (for example)? Do you have a neutral opinion of Wikipedia? No major feelings one way or the other?

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:57pm) *

Having a negative opinion of something and then writing a critique about it would, yes, mean that you are biased or, at the very least, less credence should be given to the critique than to one by someone who is uninvolved with the subject doing a study.

Unless, of course, that view is objective right and what you are really saying is that he has no right to a public comment as he is not a paid up and wiki-sychophant and cultist. Usual attempt at defence, "Let's chose someone that does not know anything about the topic (... we cant have people who really know stating the truth)". God, have I seen that before.

Yah ... blah blah blah ... contorted Wiki-logic at it worst.

Not fit to turn the handle of a door to a real journal publishing house.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:57pm) *

You are still confusing 'having a negative view' with 'does not have a neutral point of view'. Someone can have a negative view of the Flat Earth theory and still write perfectly neutrally about it. Read what Somey says above.
Detective
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Mon 18th April 2011, 8:29pm) *

There's a very important point that many WP editors fail to grasp. In many areas, it is virtually impossible to be unbiased unless you are a complete ignoramus in the subject. Of course, the WP culture does not deter complete ignoramuses from editing! Indeed, zealous pursuit of NPOV often means that articles are taken over by editors who have no idea what they are talking about. This in turn often leads to good faith nonsense that is far more misleading than any POV introduced by experts.
Zoloft
To illustrate, take a kitten.

Look at the kitten for a while.

Listen to the fuzzy little fellow purr...

Now, you can be neutral about the kitten.

You can weigh the kitten, look up his pedigree, lift his tail and take his temperature.

You can list the facts about the kitten, cite his pedigree, report the precise albedo of his fur.

You can do this and still love the little guy.

The kitten, however, will always remember you shoved a cold glass thermometer up his ass.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Tue 19th April 2011, 12:21am) *
The kitten, however, will always remember you shoved a cold glass thermometer up his ass.

biggrin.gif I suspect that some Arbcom members would enjoy that.
radek
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 18th April 2011, 10:45am) *

Wikipedia is an extraordinary idea: an internet encyclopedia that ‘anyone can edit’. It is based on a principle (‘crowdsourcing’) first articulated in 1906 when Francis Galton discovered that the crowd at a country fair accurately guessed the weight of an ox when their guesses were averaged.

Does that principle still work? What do you say that we all try to pitch in and guess Newyorkbrad's weight? evilgrin.gif

-1000000000000000!

So much for Mr. Galton.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Tue 19th April 2011, 3:21am) *

"You're lucky to have me at all, Captain Peacock. I had to thaw me pussy out before I came. It had been out all night."
carbuncle
Good article. Thanks for posting the link to the full text. One thing jumped out at me, though:
Those administrators who police for the use of sock accounts use sophisticated surveillance techniques that match IP addresses, behaviour, telltale signs such as edit commentary and so on.
So far as I know, the checkuser software itself is remarkably unsophisticated. As for the "surveillance techniques", there may be some shared knowledge of identifying sockpuppets through checkuser, but my suspicion is that, short of technical means, admins and checkusers are largely on their own when it comes to determining who is and who is not a sockpuppet. Having been on the receiving end of sockpuppet blocks, you may have reason to believe otherwise, but stories I've seen here about false positives lead me to believe that smelling out sockpuppets is much more of a black art than a science.
Gruntled
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 19th April 2011, 3:01pm) *

So far as I know, the checkuser software itself is remarkably unsophisticated. As for the "surveillance techniques", there may be some shared knowledge of identifying sockpuppets through checkuser, but my suspicion is that, short of technical means, admins and checkusers are largely on their own when it comes to determining who is and who is not a sockpuppet. Having been on the receiving end of sockpuppet blocks, you may have reason to believe otherwise, but stories I've seen here about false positives lead me to believe that smelling out sockpuppets is much more of a black art than a science.

Checkuser reports your IP and useragent, both of which are easy enough to change. It can't find more; if there were ways of doing so, it would. Beyond that, all is smoke, mirrors and "finely honed linguistic skills". Basically, if someone doesn't like you, you'll be branded a sock.
Wikicrusher2
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 19th April 2011, 5:54am) *

"You're lucky to have me at all, Captain Peacock. I had to thaw me pussy out before I came. It had been out all night."

Dame Edna?
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Gruntled @ Tue 19th April 2011, 4:11pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 19th April 2011, 3:01pm) *

Checkuser reports your IP and useragent, both of which are easy enough to change. It can't find more; if there were ways of doing so, it would. Beyond that, all is smoke, mirrors and "finely honed linguistic skills". Basically, if someone doesn't like you, you'll be branded a sock.

It is a little more sophisticated than that! There is a fairly simple algorithm they use that indicates which side of the the keyboard is used more fluently when editing, thus indicating which side of the brain is more adept, which in turn indicates if the user is likely to be male or female - although left handed persons of either sex tend to bring up false positives (thus needing a quick review of whether they have "sinister" userboxes on their Userpage, for instance). It is to the chagrin of the CU community that they have not found a way to use this marker for uncovering sockpuppets, but they keep doing the checks anyway for the lulz.
Sololol
QUOTE(Wikicrusher2 @ Tue 19th April 2011, 2:12pm) *

Dame Edna?

Mrs. Slocombe from "Are You Being Served?". Does no one watch PBS's Brit Com re-runs anymore?!Kids these days with their fancy Hulus!

Zoloft
QUOTE(Sololol @ Tue 19th April 2011, 3:20pm) *

QUOTE(Wikicrusher2 @ Tue 19th April 2011, 2:12pm) *

Dame Edna?

Mrs. Slocombe from "Are You Being Served?". Does no one watch PBS's Brit Com re-runs anymore?!Kids these days with their fancy Hulus!

My mother used to watch every episode, rest her soul. I have a picture of her sneaking a drink to John Inman at a snooty affair where he was saddled with a cup of weak tea.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Tue 19th April 2011, 1:02pm) *
It is a little more sophisticated than that! There is a fairly simple algorithm they use that indicates which side of the the keyboard is used more fluently when editing, thus indicating which side of the brain is more adept, which in turn indicates if the user is likely to be male or female - although left handed persons of either sex tend to bring up false positives (thus needing a quick review of whether they have "sinister" userboxes on their Userpage, for instance). It is to the chagrin of the CU community that they have not found a way to use this marker for uncovering sockpuppets, but they keep doing the checks anyway for the lulz.

So, you admit the use of CU for finding socks is based on bogus methods?
And that's it's all for "entertainment" purposes. Or do I misunderstand the use of the
word "lulz"? Does it mean something other than the usual meaning in Wiki admin world? tongue.gif
tarantino
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Tue 19th April 2011, 8:02pm) *

It is a little more sophisticated than that!

It is possible for a website to identify you with much more than a user agent string, especially if you have javascript enabled. Visit the EFF to see what your browser fingerprint looks like. It may be unique compared to the 1.5 million recorded so far.

http://panopticlick.eff.org/
Peter Damian
The article has caused quite a stir at ASKE itself. Some of their members are also administrators at Wikipedia, including Martin L Poulter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter who complained about it strongly.

I'm interested in this to put it mildly: on Saturday I became one of the seven Directors of Wikimedia UK. I'm concerned at the possibility that ASKE is spreading information which is the opposite of the facts. Who wrote the article and does it really tell people not to edit? That seems a bizarre. The implication, as Doug rightly says, is that we should leave the articles to people who will push a quite different view. How different from the view of, say, Cancer Research UK or the Association for Psychological Science.

I'm happy to do an interview for a correction piece.

I wonder what the 'correction piece' will look like. Probably on the lines of 'Buckner is a banned user on poor standing with Wikipedia, a troll etc etc'.

You can see Martin here http://biasandbelief.wordpress.com/category/wikipedia/
lilburne
What good would a correction piece do? Surely if the guy has any integrity he'd conduct a scientific test to prove your assertions wrong, not simply offer his opinions on the matter.

Of course conducting such experiments are forbidden. Reminds me somewhat of the Catholic church banning scientific experiments.
Somey
"Correction piece"? Where does he think he is, Stalinist Russia? Unbelievable. Well, actually, no, it's not "unbelieveable"... I guess the word is more like "typical."

Let me guess: The "correction piece" isn't going to mention that he's an administrator, is it? rolleyes.gif
EricBarbour
I posted a rant on Poulter's blog.

Please welcome him if he shows up here. I don't think he's an outright evil man, just badly misinformed.
Peter Damian
an excellent rant, Eric. I will be surprised if it stays.

I have been invited onto their ‘members only’ list and have posted a reply. I have pointed out

(1) The substantial remedial work that Wikipedia editors have made on the articles I mentioned, with evidence that this was a direct result of my publishing the paper. The errors they have corrected have been there for many years.

(2) That my once an edit has stuck, which appears to be reliably sourced, the onus is on editors who wish to remove it to show (1) that the source is not reliable or (2) that the source does not actually support the edit. This can be frustratingly difficult.

(3) That the comments on Wales’ talk page substantially support the view argued for in the paper.

I am keeping a few things up my sleeve until they reply. But no one has replied yet.
Gruntled
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Tue 19th April 2011, 9:02pm) *

I bet half of you think LHvU is joking. Of course, he isn't.

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 20th April 2011, 2:38am) *

It is possible for a website to identify you with much more than a user agent string, especially if you have javascript enabled. Visit the EFF to see what your browser fingerprint looks like. It may be unique compared to the 1.5 million recorded so far.

http://panopticlick.eff.org/

That's a great laugh. Every time you get an update to Firefox, or add a new toolbar, or remove an old one, you'll get a change.
Peter Damian
Poulter writes here http://biasandbelief.wordpress.com/2008/02...in-scientology/ about some text he added to Wikipedia saying

Antagonists to the Church of Scientology are declared by the church to be “antisocial personalities“, Potential Trouble Sources (PTS), or Suppressive Persons (SPs). The Church of Scientology teaches that association with such persons impedes one’s progress along the Bridge to Total Freedom.

In a Hubbard Communication Office Bulletin (the official policy of the Church of Scientology), L. Ron Hubbard sets out the doctrine that by being connected to Suppressive Persons, a Scientologist could become a Potential Trouble Source (PTS)mad.gif1]

I wonder how is that different that is from saying things like this http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=424908987 (unfortunately now deleted), on the lines of 'this person is not in good standing with Wikipedia and therefore any of their views are to be ignored or discounted'? This happened twice. Admittedly Poulter was not responsible for either.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 20th April 2011, 6:37pm) *

Poulter writes here http://biasandbelief.wordpress.com/2008/02...in-scientology/ about some text he added to Wikipedia saying

Antagonists to the Church of Scientology are declared by the church to be “antisocial personalities“, Potential Trouble Sources (PTS), or Suppressive Persons (SPs). The Church of Scientology teaches that association with such persons impedes one’s progress along the Bridge to Total Freedom.

In a Hubbard Communication Office Bulletin (the official policy of the Church of Scientology), L. Ron Hubbard sets out the doctrine that by being connected to Suppressive Persons, a Scientologist could become a Potential Trouble Source (PTS)mad.gif1]

I wonder how is that different that is from saying things like this http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=424908987 (unfortunately now deleted), on the lines of 'this person is not in good standing with Wikipedia and therefore any of their views are to be ignored or discounted'? This happened twice. Admittedly Poulter was not responsible for either.

I'm not sure who I find more frightening, the Scientologists or people like Poulter who have made it their life's mission to obsess over the downfall of the organization. In the grand scheme of things, the harm caused by Scientology is pretty minuscule. There are much more important problems to fuss over.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Wed 20th April 2011, 7:58pm) *

I'm not sure who I find more frightening, the Scientologists or people like Poulter who have made it their life's mission to obsess over the downfall of the organization. In the grand scheme of things, the harm caused by Scientology is pretty minuscule. There are much more important problems to fuss over.

Well I suppose one can make it one's life's mission to obsess over the downfall of Wikipedia. hmmm.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 18th April 2011, 6:55am) *

Apologies, the article has already been placed on the web - I didn't know this. You can read it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5532250/newsletter%202011-1.pdf.

Is that link producing a readable document for anyone else?

I simply get a big black screen of blackness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.