Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WikiProject User Warnings
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
The Joy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wik...t_user_warnings

I was watching Giano's and Malleus's user talk pages when I came across the fellow OpenInfoForAll (T-C-L-K-R-D) and his involvement in the Wikiproject User Warnings.

Just look at OpenInfoForAll's contributions. All he does is warn people, even if those people do not deserve a warning! There's something strange about him, not to mention a project dedicated entirely to warning people. I imagine this is a new way to score points for RFA and gather more social capital than writing articles?

There's something very scary about a project whose sole purpose is to punish people.
EricBarbour
Hmf. If those admins didn't have a hangout where they could talk about threatening people, they'd have to create one. Some of the biggest wikigamers are members of that project.

It's also a moderately active project. Unlike most WikiProjects.

OpenInfoForAll really has a thing for Mark Alan Stamaty.
radek
QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 27th April 2011, 5:12pm) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wik...t_user_warnings

I was watching Giano's and Malleus's user talk pages when I came across the fellow OpenInfoForAll (T-C-L-K-R-D) and his involvement in the Wikiproject User Warnings.

Just look at OpenInfoForAll's contributions. All he does is warn people, even if those people do not deserve a warning! There's something strange about him, not to mention a project dedicated entirely to warning people. I imagine this is a new way to score points for RFA and gather more social capital than writing articles?

There's something very scary about a project whose sole purpose is to punish people.

Oy, that's hilarious. Looking through the list of members I recognize only a few of the names, but each name I do recognize I recall as a crazy of one sort or another.

Anyway, I think people should join the project and help to expand their templates. Like they have the generic "This is your last warning" template. Obviously they also need a "This is your next to last warning" template and a "This is your next to next to last warning" template and a generic "This is your (next to)^N last warning template" where the N can be chosen by the templater's discretion.

The aesthetics of the templates are also incomplete. They have ones with exclamation marks (!), ones with information marks (i) and ones with that friendly hand. They obviously should expand into templates with skull-and-cross bones (a la poison bottles), the finger and one with just "STFU" in big letters. I mean, they need to be sure they're getting the message across.

I'm also concerned that there are lots of situations which are not covered by their templates. Where's the "(Hand) This is your only warning! In the 20th century, more than a hundred people were killed by bears!" template? And the "(!) Please stop eating fatty foods and watch your cholesterol level!" template? Or the "(!) Welcome to Wikipedia. Although everyone is welcome to contribute to the encyclopedia, they should be aware that they are liable to get templated at any moment, for no reason what so ever, by various self righteous power hungry loosers who are members of the WikiProject: User warnings"

I'm almost tempted to go and make that last one and put it in there. It might be worth a WP:POINT block.
EricBarbour
Gruntled
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 28th April 2011, 12:03am) *

For example, guess how many edits there have been in the last year to Wikiproject User Help?

None - not one!

What does that say about the community?
thekohser
QUOTE(Gruntled @ Thu 28th April 2011, 11:26am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 28th April 2011, 12:03am) *

For example, guess how many edits there have been in the last year to Wikiproject User Help?

None - not one!

What does that say about the community?

Maybe Wikiproject User Help was perfected in 2008 or 2009, so there's no longer a need to edit it.
The Joy
In good conscience, I should retract a large part of my original post. I only just noticed the project's description. bored.gif confused.gif wtf.gif

This page explains what user talk namespace templates are, and how to use them within Wikipedia. You can click on the tabs at the top of this page for detailed information about how to use these templates, as well as how they have been designed.

So, it is not a meeting place for the Knight Templaters to congregate and plot against newbie Wikipedians in order to score social points. That is likely the Administrator's Noticeboard. fear.gif

Apologies for any confusion!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.