Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Superinjunction" Crap
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
EricBarbour
No doubt you've heard about this story.

Welll.....it seems that the Rt Hon Justice Eady should have included Wikipedia in his idiotic, unenforceable-outside-the-UK superinjunction.

Because the Wikipedia article about it unmasks "CTB" for us. biggrin.gif
On 8 May 2011, an account on social networking site Twitter was created, and posted the alleged details of several of the super-injunctions that had been mentioned in the media.[4] This included the claim that the married footballer known as CTB had been involved in a seven month extra-marital relationship with model Imogen Thomas. While Thomas could be named in the UK media, the identity of CTB could not.[5] On the same date, messages saying that the identity of claimant CTB was Manchester United player Ryan Giggs were posted on Twitter and subsequently reported in a number of non-UK media sources.[6][7] The allegations were repeatedly reposted online by other users, in a similar legal defence to the Twitter Joke Trial the year before, making it difficult to prosecute any one user for contempt of court.[8][9]

Yes, it's also on his BLP.

And that's the only place I have seen "CTB" named.
All of the media--even the American media--have "respected" the order.
(Except for commenters, like under this Time article.)

(Whups, that Ars Technica article just got an addendum....)

Seriously, is the United Kingdom in a state of total legal chaos?
Why does Eady keep his silly wig?
Somey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 22nd May 2011, 2:47am) *

Because they tried total illegal chaos, and decided it was too unsophisticated?

Why does Eady keep his silly wig?

Those things are pretty expensive, the real ones at least - supposedly they can cost upwards of 500 quid. And I doubt he'd get even a fraction of that if he tried to sell it on eBay, even with his own personal notoriety. (There could be head-lice! sick.gif )

As for the super-injunctions, I guess they have to at least try, or it would look like, well, they're just not trying. Most people in the media want to respect the super-injunctions because they're actually quite fearful of people raising the specter of one-world-government, which is what would be required to actually enforce such things. Presumably, having just one government for the whole world would mean a serious contraction of national media outlets, so, fewer jobs. Wikipedians don't care about such things, unless for some reason it gets in the way of their own entertainment.
Peter Damian
Oversighters have been diligently suppressing this stuff. Hopefully none
of our money will be wasted on this. Obviously superinjunctions are
totally over the top and not sustainable, but it is not our job to
straighten out the High Court.
Fred
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...May/065602.html

Speaking as someone who's been in the middle of this exact issue from the
Wikipedia perspective, edits similar to the one described to have been made
on Twitter were removed multiple times from our own site over an extended
period: not because of the injunction, but because it was contentious and
negative information that could not be reliably sourced. Our BLP policy has
worked.

Risker/Anne
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...May/065603.html

Eppur si muove
My understanding is that CTB claims he was being blackmailed and applied for the injunction to stop the blackmailer getting money. That seems a perfectly reasonable excuse for an injunction, if the blackmail really took place.

"Footballer has extra-marital affair" is, of course, not a terribly shocking headline and should only be of interest to the footballer's wife. The right to be prurient is not a major element of press freedom unless the subject of the prurience is the leader of a political party that demands a return to family values when he has only recently dumped his mistress or is a major world religion that has attempted to suppress information about child sexual abuse within his organisation while simultaneously denouncing sexual relationships between consenting adults.
JohnA
It took me (in the UK) about 5 seconds on Twitter searching on the name "Imogen Thomas" to find out the identity of CTB.

The considered opinion of many Brits is that the UK has never been OUT of a state of total legal chaos.

My understanding is that CTB claims he was being blackmailed and applied for the injunction to stop the blackmailer getting money. That seems a perfectly reasonable excuse for an injunction, if the blackmail really took place.

It does seem reasonable. But an injunction should only be granted after the allegation has been shown to be unlikely to be true, in my humble legal opinion.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.