Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timotheus Canens
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Abd
I've been motivated to look into the activities of Timotheus Canens (T-C-L-K-R-D) because of his vigorous pursuit of block/ban enforcement, using Revision Deletion for harmless edits, and the Edit Filter, continued substantially after it became useless. He's been scotched on both of these, since, as to being able to continue that way, but I just noticed this:

Arbitration Enforcement request on Gilabrand

Timotheus Canens filed the AE request. He commented extensively, arguing for what amounts to punishment for past offenses. I.e., the position being expressed is that a ban does not exist to protect the wiki for a period, but to punish the user. If the user edits during the period, even if all the edits are useful, Justice Demands Blood. Time Must Be Served.

The justification for an indef block, as given, is the ingenuousness of the user. Not damage to the wiki, no harm is asserted anywhere.

Timotheus Canens is the filer of the request, but edits the section for "Uninvolved administrators."

and Timotheus closes the discussion and indef blocks Gilabrand.

There was support in the discussion for the idea that not all the IP edits were hers. The topics of interest are reasonable as Wikipedia topics for people in her area, Israel. There is also a very reasonable possibility that if there is one editor in a building, that editor might talk to others about Wikipedia and edits, and there might even be activity thus appearing on coincident articles.

Sure, Gilabrand's comments were suspicious, but to translate that into a conclusion that she was lying is quite offensive. There was no consensus that she was lying.

She had charged Timotheus Canens with "proxying for a topic banned editor," which was actually a reasonable charge. TC evaded the question asked about that.

Absolutely, and absent emergency, which wasn't claimed and clearly did not exist, TC should not have been the one to close and block, or recusal policy means nothing.

Apparently, it means nothing. I've seen a pile of these "community discussions," though I don't recall a close with action by the filing party before.
Wikifan
QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 26th May 2011, 2:07am) *

I've been motivated to look into the activities of Timotheus Canens (T-C-L-K-R-D) because of his vigorous pursuit of block/ban enforcement, using Revision Deletion for harmless edits, and the Edit Filter, continued substantially after it became useless. He's been scotched on both of these, since, as to being able to continue that way, but I just noticed this:

Timotheus Canens filed the AE request. He commented extensively, arguing for what amounts to punishment for past offenses. I.e., the position being expressed is that a ban does not exist to protect the wiki for a period, but to punish the user. If the user edits during the period, even if all the edits are useful, Justice Demands Blood. Time Must Be Served.

The justification for an indef block, as given, is the ingenuousness of the user. Not damage to the wiki, no harm is asserted anywhere.

Timotheus Canens is the filer of the request, but edits the section for "Uninvolved administrators."

There was support in the discussion for the idea that not all the IP edits were hers. The topics of interest are reasonable as Wikipedia topics for people in her area, Israel. There is also a very reasonable possibility that if there is one editor in a building, that editor might talk to others about Wikipedia and edits, and there might even be activity thus appearing on coincident articles.

Sure, Gilabrand's comments were suspicious, but to translate that into a conclusion that she was lying is quite offensive. There was no consensus that she was lying.

She had charged Timotheus Canens with "proxying for a topic banned editor," which was actually a reasonable charge. TC evaded the question asked about that.

Absolutely, and absent emergency, which wasn't claimed and clearly did not exist, TC should not have been the one to close and block, or recusal policy means nothing.

Apparently, it means nothing. I've seen a pile of these "community discussions," though I don't recall a close with action by the filing party before.

Interesting. But Gilabrand is guilty of operating sock-puppets, a deal-breaking violation of his/her topic ban. Attacking admins and accusing them of misbehavior rarely turns out in your favor.

In article discussions all is fair, but arbitration enforcement is not a fun place to be for sock puppeteers. Tim's real or imagined bias is trumped by Gilabrand's blatant violation of his/her topic ban.

End of story.

I do think the enforcement process has gotten out of hand and hasn't helped the Israeli-Arab genre. Rather than going through the motions and dispute resolutions, editors often go to enforcement boards as a first resort.

Most of the time, these attempts fail - but it forces editors to not simply defend their edits but themselves. Editors with behavioral problems in the past will have a tough time defending themselves even if they're not guilty.

If I was king of Wikipedia I believe arbitration enforcement should be limited to administrators only. Editors involved in conflict disputes should be barred from filing notices against editors they are in disagreement with. Change will come eventually because sooner or later there will be only a handful of editors not topic-banned from editing Israel-Arab articles.

Also - as far as Tim goes, he is obviously one of the most balanced and fair admins. I was given an 8 month topic ban but I'm sure many editors thought I deserved more.

communicat
QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 26th May 2011, 4:07am) *

Below is a copy of a request to Arbcom for my unblocking after I was recently blocked indefinitely by T Canens. I never did receive a response from Arbcom. My request reads:

Administrator Timotheus Canens, acting purportedly as an "uninvolved administrator" has indefinetly blocked me, following my filing of a statement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...ment#Communicat to Arbcom, which was an invited reply to an AE request brought by a separate party.

Timotheus Canens' blocking of me should be disallowed, because he is obviously an involved party. He made a statement during an earlier, directly related request for Arbcom clarification; he was listed by me as a party in that request; and he then asked a clerk to remove his name as a listed a party because he was "not involved". His request for delisting was disregarded; which infers that, in the opinion of Arbcom, he was indeed an involved party. Relevant diffs are provided as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=436678672

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=436578971

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=436574101

The sequence of events that precipitated and/or was used by T Canens as ostensible "consensus" for the block he imposed on me is as follows, and my statement is contained at this thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...t_by_Communicat
Can anyone tell me why an indef is not a good idea? T. Canens (talk) 14:20, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
I can't. Though my reading of the enforcement motion only allows for a week long block. The rest would be on your own authority, but as far as I can tell a good call. Eluchil404 (talk) 03:45, 21 July 2011 (UTC)

And done. One week AE block + indef. This has gone on long enough. T. Canens (talk) 17:19, 23 July 2011 (UTC)

Your action is appropriate, given that Communikat seems unable to reach consensus with others. Unless we want to *give* him all these WWII articles so he can slant them according to his personal POV, there seems no way forward. EdJohnston (talk) 18:10, 23 July 2011 (UTC)

The comment of uninvolved administrator Eluchil404 was made fully three days before I filed my statement, which means he was not in possession of the pertinent facts and matters on which he was commenting. Specifically: "...as far as I can tell (indefinite blocking is) a good call." While the comment by EdJohnston makes it clear he is under the impression that the AE request relates to World War II, which it does not. The AE request relates directly to a South Africa article, which has absolutely nothing to do with World War II. It is reasonable to deduce that he does not know what is actually at issue.

That then is the "consensus" upon which Timotheus Cannens apparently relies. He blocked me just nine minutes after I filed my statement in reply to the AE request; and then arbitrarily closed the matter very shortly thereafter, without allowing any reasonable time for community participation. The manner and method of his arbitrary and evidently illegitimate conduct suggests a motivation of "payback" on his part, in retaliation for my having questioned his actions and omissions in earlier, related proceedings to which he was an involved party. This is clearly beyond the boundaries of acceptable ethical conduct on the part of an administrator.
The Adversary
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 1st August 2011, 9:21pm) *

Bla, bla

Abd: Gila was lying.
Stan: give it up, man.
Somey
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Mon 1st August 2011, 5:15pm) *

Give what up? I think he has a point - Wikipedia isn't really all that different from the Capitalist-Media matrix, and as for the ANC, I don't think it's so radical to suggest that they're not as heroic as they would like us to believe.

However, this sentence from his homepage is obviously a fragment:
Stan Winer's book exposes a shameless symbiosis between capitalists — some selling information for profit, others selling weapons for profit and all depending on implicit approval of a fearful, angry or confused population.

...so I can't blame the WP'ers for being a little exasperated with him. I mean, symbiosis between capitalists... and who? Or what, exactly? We never find out. It's like having really hot sex, only to be denied the Big Moment at the very end.

Okay, it's nothing like that, but I couldn't come up with a better analogy in such a short timeframe.

Anyway, this really smells like Annex material to me...
communicat
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Tue 2nd August 2011, 12:15am) *

QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 1st August 2011, 9:21pm) *

Bla, bla

Tim: Sorry to disappoint you; I'm not going to "give it up". Wikicreeps like you deserve exposure.
communicat
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 2nd August 2011, 4:21am) *

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Mon 1st August 2011, 5:15pm) *

Give what up? I think he has a point - Wikipedia isn't really all that different from the Capitalist-Media matrix, and as for the ANC, I don't think it's so radical to suggest that they're not as heroic as they would like us to believe.

Stan Winer's book exposes a shameless symbiosis between capitalists — some selling information for profit, others selling weapons for profit and all depending on implicit approval of a fearful, angry or confused population.

...so I can't blame the WP'ers for being a little exasperated with him. I mean, symbiosis between capitalists... and who? Or what, exactly? We never find out. It's like having really hot sex, only to be denied the Big Moment at the very end.

Okay, it's nothing like that, but I couldn't come up with a better analogy in such a short timeframe.

Anyway, this really smells like Annex material to me...

You seem to have missed the "Read more" link; but never mind, the book you mention had nothing whatsoever to do with my indefinite ban from wikipedia. I was banned by T Canens for "personal attacks" on a handful of cabalists who have for a long time been effectively in control of certain politically charged and heavily biased military history and political topics.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 1st August 2011, 7:21pm) *

It's not a very clear sentence, and should have been written "a symbiosis between TWO TYPES of capitalists— some selling information for profit, others selling weapons for profit..." It's not wrong as written, just confusing.

What he's identified is not exactly a new thing, either: by another name it's called "yellow journalism" as applied to war. Hearst trying his best to get a Spanish-American war started so that he would have a war to report on-- that type of thing. Judith Miller's pre-war "reporting" on Iraq WMD's for the New York Times, for example, was almost pure yellow journalism of our time. It sold a lot of newspapers. Too bad it was hearsay and fiction.

The difficulty, unfortunately, is that the "media" is synergistic with every other pubic enterprise, since obviously all public enterprises need the support of the public. That's true even with no democracy and no capitalism (see Communist state propaganda). So none of this is all that mind-blowing. They don't call the modern media the fourth estate for nothing (the others, per the French Revolution, being Religion, Nobility/Government, and The Pepul).
communicat
Thread seems to have drifted off the topic of Timotheus Canens. But seeing as we're now talking about the symbiosis between certain kinds of capitalists, I wonder who's paying the bills for all the admins not on the wikipedia payroll but who are nonetheless obviously working fulltime at censoring the content-free "encyclopeida". Now there's a symbiosis worth thinking about ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.