Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Censorship at wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
communicat
Censorship, according to Jimbo, is "antithetical to the philosophy of Wikipedia". But while he's preaching to the Chinese about freedom of information, he somehow manages to turn a blind eye to what's going on in his own backyard. Anyone who doubts that censorship is actually the norm in certain important wikipedia topic areas, should have a look at these off-wiki articles. And no, you won't find any links to them on wikipedia; they've been blacklisted. Here are the links:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...hip-462070.html

http://www.serendipity.li/wot/sft_wikipedia.htm

http://www.serendipity.li/hr/bacque_on_wikipedia.htm

http://hnn.us/articles/125437.html

http://www.ahealedplanet.net/wikimass.htm
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Thu 4th August 2011, 10:12am) *

Censorship, according to Jimbo, is "antithetical to the philosophy of Wikipedia". But while he's preaching to the Chinese about freedom of information, he somehow manages to turn a blind eye to what's going on in his own backyard. Anyone who doubts that censorship is actually the norm in certain important wikipedia topic areas, should have a look at these off-wiki articles. And no, you won't find any links to them on wikipedia; they've been blacklisted. Here are the links:

What a misleading title and opening description of the topic. What some of these articles describe is a certain form of POV pushing, not "censorship." For instance big corporations editing out unflattering stuff as part of their PR operations. Yes that sucks and it shouldn't happen but is it really "censorhip"? Then you link to 911 conspiracies and fringe books. Seriously? Keeping 911 conspiracy theories out of the encyclopedia isn't something I'd bandy about to criticize them with.
thekohser
Jimbo frequently practices censorship. He shouldn't be speaking about it.
Wikifan
yea the truthers link totally discredits your arguments.

guess ill have to leave you with....u mad bro?

u mad?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011.../Kobe-U-Mad.jpg
Jagärdu
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 4th August 2011, 12:20pm) *

You people have a pretty broad understanding of "censorship". Censorship would be oversighting the comment entirely. Evasiveness when confronted with something that makes you uncomfortable because you don't have any answers that wont make you look bad is not censorship. If I had my druthers the term censorship would be stricken from the English language because it is abused all the time in the modern world, especially in places where the new libertarianism of Web 2.0 can be found. That includes Wikipedia of course, but also Wikipedia Review.
thekohser
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 4th August 2011, 8:38am) *

You people have a pretty broad understanding of "censorship". Censorship would be oversighting the comment entirely. Evasiveness when confronted with something that makes you uncomfortable because you don't have any answers that wont make you look bad is not censorship. If I had my druthers the term censorship would be stricken from the English language because it is abused all the time in the modern world, especially in places where the new libertarianism of Web 2.0 can be found. That includes Wikipedia of course, but also Wikipedia Review.

What if Silver Seren repeated his request for comment on Jimmy's talk page three more times?

What would happen then?

Be honest.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 4th August 2011, 5:38am) *

Wikipedia Review doesn't claim to be WP:NOTCENSORED.

Right now, Jimbo Wales, with a straight face, is suggesting that WP is losing editors due to "convoluted editing templates." blink.gif Whatever this editing template problem is, it must be a hell of a nasty software thing, since it's affecting recruitment and retention of administrators on WP, also. wink.gif The journalists asking the softball questions are too ignorant to know about that, and if they do know, are mostly too overworked or lazy to connect the dots to see that Jimbo is self-evidently full of shit, or else they are too jaded to really care whether he is or not. unhappy.gif Or all three.

Not only is there a broad class of problems with Wikipedia that WMF will not discuss in public, there's a class that they won't even allow to be discussed on Wikipedia. Hence, the need for Wikipedia Review. A few journalists and others occasionally read here, especially if Google can find the comment topically.
communicat
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 4th August 2011, 1:54pm) *

QUOTE(communicat @ Thu 4th August 2011, 10:12am) *

What a misleading title and opening description of the topic. What some of these articles describe is a certain form of POV pushing, not "censorship." For instance big corporations editing out unflattering stuff as part of their PR operations. Yes that sucks and it shouldn't happen but is it really "censorhip"? Then you link to 911 conspiracies and fringe books. Seriously? Keeping 911 conspiracy theories out of the encyclopedia isn't something I'd bandy about to criticize them with.

Watergate started out as a "conspiracy theory", as Nixon described it. And look where that got Nixon. Same applies to Reagan and the Iran-Contra affair. And look where that got Reagan. I suppose if wikipedia was around at those times, it would have seen "fringe" theories all over the place, as it does now, and so do you.
Ottava
I found it odd that the Independent claims that the Catholic Church and the Republican Party have some how taken over Wikipedia and used it to push their PR. If that is the case, then both are really, really failing hard because I don't even see such positives on the pages regarding the organizations let alone on secondary topics. It seems that their opposition has far more sway than them.

By the way, the Independent article only follows IPs, and most IPs that they complain about are IPs targetting their own BLP related article for the most part and are complaining about overly negative bias on the article. That is true for many politicians of either party.
communicat
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 4th August 2011, 2:38pm) *

You're lost in a time-warp, pal. But before you find your way back to the Dark Ages, where you belong, take a look at Wikipedia's stated NPOV policy. It says that a range of viewpoints must be incorporated in any given article, including minority viewpoints. That rule is rarely if ever properly applied. Views that deviate from the "mainstream" are invariably reverted. In other words, censorship. And don't forget, what might be considered a "fringe" view in America may well be a mainstream view in other parts of the world. So who's to dictate what is and what is not "fringe"? I'll tell you who: certain heavily-biased cabalistic retards who pass themselves off as "editors". Maybe you're one of them?
EricBarbour
Thanks for reminding me about the Edwin Black article.
Another interview to add to the pile.

(It's funnier than hell that he was helped by Stifle. Normally Stifle would be
helping to defame him.)
timbo
God damn, what a bunch of weak links...

2007?

Two truther links?

A piece by Edwin Black that I very much doubt he'd write today?

Hmmmmm.

tim
Silver seren
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 4th August 2011, 5:07pm) *

What if Silver Seren repeated his request for comment on Jimmy's talk page three more times?

What would happen then?

Be honest.

I would probably get in trouble for...something. I don't know what exactly Jimbo and his army of admin talk page watchers would use to get me in trouble.

Likely the generic "blocked for disruptive editing" or something to that effect.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sat 6th August 2011, 7:22pm) *

What would happen then?

Be honest.

I would probably get in trouble for...something. I don't know what exactly Jimbo and his army of admin talk page watchers would use to get me in trouble.

Likely the generic "blocked for disruptive editing" or something to that effect.

Wasn't there are an ArbComm decision that addressed whether or not you were entitled to simply wipe comments off your TALK page without comment. It was a favorte tick of SlimVirgin's. As I remember, when people-not-liked did it, the Communiteh decided that your TALK page is not entirely "your own." ohmy.gif
radek
Same applies to Reagan and the Iran-Contra affair. And look where that got Reagan. I suppose if wikipedia was around at those times, it would have seen "fringe" theories all over the place, as it does now, and so do you.

Huh? Reagan got away with IC and two years later people elected his boy, Bush Sr. So it didn't really got him anywhere. A bit of embarrassment maybe but probably less than Clinton with Lewinsky. Yes, sometimes in the real world people get away with stuff they shouldn't get away with. Stalin died a natural death and all.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(timbo @ Sat 6th August 2011, 5:13pm) *

2007?
Two truther links?

Perhaps, but you still suck, Carrite.
communicat
QUOTE(timbo @ Sun 7th August 2011, 2:13am) *

2007?

Two truther links?

A piece by Edwin Black that I very much doubt he'd write today?

Hmmmmm.

tim

Nothing has changed since 2007. Wikipedia is not dynamic. It is static. That's maybe why Jimbo's currently bewailing the shortage of editors. That's why also there's a much ignored wikipedia page WP:WORLDVIEW, (as yet not AFD'd), which highlights bias through omission, i.e. censorship by any other name.
communicat
If you'd really like to see some longstanding and still currently ongoing censorship in action, take a look at wikipedia's article on World War II. It's claimed to be one of Wikipedia's "most successful" and the "tenth most visited " article. on wikipedia. It's also probably one of wikipedia's longest articles, relying on nearly 400 reference citations. Curiously, however, nearly all the references are from conservative Western mainstream sources, with only one source that deviates from the mainstream position (i.e. revisionist historian Prof. AJP Taylor). Never mind about what the NPOV rules state about the incorporation of a range of viewpoints on any given subject. The nazi-mentality admin censors like Nick-D and his cabalist sidekicks like Edward321 will ensure you're blocked for "POV-pushing" if you try to add any non-Western (or even Western) source that deviates from the cosy, Western-biased, fairy-tale version of World War II. Namely: it was a good war, the Anglo-Americans won it single-handedly, and the Russians (who lost nearly 50 million lives in the fight against Hitler) are hardly worth mentioning. Encyclopaedic content? No. Censorship? Definitely.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(communicat @ Sun 7th August 2011, 9:27am) *
It's also probably one of wikipedia's longest articles, relying on nearly 400 reference citations.

So what, until people decided to shorten it, Fanny Crosby was 283k bytes and had 825 references.

Curiously, however, nearly all the references are from conservative Western mainstream sources, with only one source that deviates from the mainstream position (i.e. revisionist historian Prof. AJP Taylor). Never mind about what the NPOV rules state about the incorporation of a range of viewpoints on any given subject. The nazi-mentality admin censors like Nick-D and his cabalist sidekicks like Edward321 will ensure you're blocked for "POV-pushing" if you try to add any non-Western (or even Western) source that deviates from the cosy, Western-biased, fairy-tale version of World War II. Namely: it was a good war, the Anglo-Americans won it single-handedly, and the Russians (who lost nearly 50 million lives in the fight against Hitler) are hardly worth mentioning.

That's because there aren't enough English speaking Russians editing. And there never will be, as long as things keep declining as they are.

(Did you know that en-WP is loaded with thousands of articles about cities, town, villages, and other places in India? The coverage of Indian geography is almost as good as the coverage of English geography. Because Indian editors who can write in English have been editing. That's one of the major biases of Wikipedia--if large numbers of English-speaking people don't get in there and push their own ethnic or historical POV, it gets ignored. Wikipedia is a wargame, and a drug.)
radek
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 7th August 2011, 3:58pm) *

It's also probably one of wikipedia's longest articles, relying on nearly 400 reference citations.

So what, until people decided to shorten it, Fanny Crosby was 283k bytes and had 825 references.

Curiously, however, nearly all the references are from conservative Western mainstream sources, with only one source that deviates from the mainstream position (i.e. revisionist historian Prof. AJP Taylor). Never mind about what the NPOV rules state about the incorporation of a range of viewpoints on any given subject. The nazi-mentality admin censors like Nick-D and his cabalist sidekicks like Edward321 will ensure you're blocked for "POV-pushing" if you try to add any non-Western (or even Western) source that deviates from the cosy, Western-biased, fairy-tale version of World War II. Namely: it was a good war, the Anglo-Americans won it single-handedly, and the Russians (who lost nearly 50 million lives in the fight against Hitler) are hardly worth mentioning.

That's because there aren't enough English speaking Russians editing. And there never will be, as long as things keep declining as they are.

(Did you know that en-WP is loaded with thousands of articles about cities, town, villages, and other places in India? The coverage of Indian geography is almost as good as the coverage of English geography. Because Indian editors who can write in English have been editing. That's one of the major biases of Wikipedia--if large numbers of English-speaking people don't get in there and push their own ethnic or historical POV, it gets ignored. Wikipedia is a wargame, and a drug.)

There really should be much more about the Soviet Union's participation in the World War II article. And yes, Western source do tend spend a whole bunch of time on some minor skirmish on some beach in the north of France rather than the much more massive and consequential developments on the Eastern Front (a book which Cla68 recommend, a "War to be Won", while very good at what it is, is also more or less the quintessential work in this vein, which manages to mention the Soviets only as an afterthought, relatively speaking, nm things like Polish or Yugoslav resistance). So I sympathize with communicat here. But I also paid enough attention to the on-wiki developments to know that that ain't what he got banned for. It's one of those "grain of truth but crazy shit anyway" kind of things.

Also AJP Taylor is about as mainstream as it gets. Definitely not a "revisionist historian".

This is probably the post at which this stuff should be moved to the annex.
communicat
There are numerous, readily available Russian academic and other reliable works that have been translated into English language; so English-speaking Russian authors are not really an issue. What is at issue is systemic and systematic bias through omission, i.e. censorship. I was banned from wikipedia for raising the issue, and I know of others who have been banned for identical reasons.
communicat
Edwin Black was blocked for making legal threats. So how come Timbo knows what Edwin Black "would write today"?
communicat
QUOTE(radek @ Mon 8th August 2011, 5:43am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 7th August 2011, 3:58pm) *

There really should be much more about the Soviet Union's participation in the World War II article. And yes, Western source do tend spend a whole bunch of time on some minor skirmish on some beach in the north of France rather than the much more massive and consequential developments on the Eastern Front (a book which Cla68 recommend, a "War to be Won", while very good at what it is, is also more or less the quintessential work in this vein, which manages to mention the Soviets only as an afterthought, relatively speaking, nm things like Polish or Yugoslav resistance). So I sympathize with communicat here. But I also paid enough attention to the on-wiki developments to know that that ain't what he got banned for. It's one of those "grain of truth but crazy shit anyway" kind of things.

Also AJP Taylor is about as mainstream as it gets. Definitely not a "revisionist historian".

This is probably the post at which this stuff should be moved to the annex.

So what exactly, in your view, was the "crazy shit" that communicat was banned for? Far as I know, he was first topic-banned after alleging the existence of a cabal at military history project, and then site-banned for questioning the decisions of administrator Timotheus Canens. What's your version? Please do tell, I'm really interested to know, especially since Arbcom never did respond to my appeal.

PS: Interesting phenomenon that I've observed to my regret, is that when someone incurs the wrath of some nazi-style admins and their sidekicks at WP, everyone else including those who previously supported the victim, suddenly distances themselves from the situation. Presumably this is to avoid becoming the recipient of similar lynchmob treatment. Radek, with his "crazy shit" theory appears to be one of those. Bless him.
Detective
QUOTE(communicat @ Sun 7th August 2011, 3:22pm) *

Nothing has changed since 2007. Wikipedia is not dynamic. It is static. That's maybe why Jimbo's currently bewailing the shortage of editors. That's why also there's a much ignored wikipedia page WP:WORLDVIEW, (as yet not AFD'd), which highlights bias through omission, i.e. censorship by any other name.

It really isn't helpful to misuse the word censorship in this way. Undoubtedly there is some censorship on WP, occasionally quite egregious censorship (especially with regard to criticisms of WP). However, bias through omission due to recentism, US-centricity, laziness or plain ignorance is a very different thing. Surely it is absurd to claim that the fact that there are far more articles on recent politicians than 19th century ones is censorship; nobody would stop you from adding articles on every major politician of the 19th century if you can find sources. To lump all these things together is to belittle the genuine censorship and weaken WR when we protest about gross abuse.
radek

So what exactly, in your view, was the "crazy shit" that communicat was banned for? Far as I know, he was first topic-banned after alleging the existence of a cabal at military history project, and then site-banned for questioning the decisions of administrator Timotheus Canens. What's your version? Please do tell, I'm really interested to know, especially since Arbcom never did respond to my appeal.

PS: Interesting phenomenon that I've observed to my regret, is that when someone incurs the wrath of some nazi-style admins and their sidekicks at WP, everyone else including those who previously supported the victim, suddenly distances themselves from the situation. Presumably this is to avoid becoming the recipient of similar lynchmob treatment. Radek, with his "crazy shit" theory appears to be one of those. Bless him.

Well, he wasn't banned for it, but he was considered slightly goofy by some for consistently referring to himself in the third person.

I stopped paying attention at some point but IIRC you were trying to copy/paste stuff from your blog into WW2 articles, edit warred about it and were completely oblivious to any kind of criticism or discussion, particularly from the generally very reasonable Nick.
communicat
QUOTE(radek @ Mon 8th August 2011, 6:18pm) *

Well, he wasn't banned for it, but he was considered slightly goofy by some for consistently referring to himself in the third person.

I stopped paying attention at some point but IIRC you were trying to copy/paste stuff from your blog into WW2 articles, edit warred about it and were completely oblivious to any kind of criticism or discussion, particularly from the generally very reasonable Nick.

Well, if Radek paid more attention he would have understood the true reason why I was banned, which is not the diversionary reason he's promoting here as a WP apologist and Nick-D asskisser.

If Radek (who hails from Poland) is really so concerned about WP standards, he might consider also paying some attention to what is probably the most biassed article on WP. Namely, the weirdly lopsided article" titled Western Betrayal, which promotes an exclusively reactionary Polish interpretation of the term "Western betrayal", while excluding entirely of course the Soviet viewpoint. Encyclopedic content be damned.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 10:33am) *

If Radek (who hails from Poland) is really so concerned about WP standards, he might consider also paying some attention to what is probably the most biassed article on WP. Namely, the weirdly lopsided article" titled Western Betrayal, which promotes an exclusively reactionary Polish interpretation of the term "Western betrayal", while excluding entirely of course the Soviet viewpoint. Encyclopedic content be damned.

Since the Soviets were in on the crime and had been shortly before busy mass-murdering thousands of Polish officers and intellectuals by shooting them in the back of the head, their betrayal is of the sort that occurs among drug cartels or other criminals. Say, of the sort who've robbed a bank and shot tellers and guards, or taken hostages for money and executed civilians, and then had one faction of their own turn on them, to get their half of the money, or control of turf, or for some other selfish reason that violates "honor among thieves." I suppose you can see why the West doesn't shed many tears for the shock of Stalin at finding out he'd been "played" by Hitler. yak.gif yecch.gif Poor Stalin. I'd post my photo of the world's smallest violin, except I can't get up enough enthusiasm even to do that.

The "Soviet viewpoint"??? Please.
communicat
QUOTE(Detective @ Mon 8th August 2011, 4:57pm) *

It really isn't helpful to misuse the word censorship in this way. Undoubtedly there is some censorship on WP, occasionally quite egregious censorship (especially with regard to criticisms of WP). However, bias through omission due to recentism, US-centricity, laziness or plain ignorance is a very different thing. Surely it is absurd to claim that the fact that there are far more articles on recent politicians than 19th century ones is censorship; nobody would stop you from adding articles on every major politician of the 19th century if you can find sources. To lump all these things together is to belittle the genuine censorship and weaken WR when we protest about gross abuse.

Never mind the semantics. Whether it's bias through omission or bias through deletion, it still amounts essentially to the same thing: suppression of information, otherwise known as "censorship". In the case of the former, it's systemic and nobody at WP has the will or the inclination to do anything about it; in the case of the latter, it's deliberate and when done in bad faith it's gross abuse, which happens to be the norm as far I and many other former WP editors are concerned.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sun 7th August 2011, 2:22am) *

What would happen then?

Be honest.

The same thing would happen to you if you reverted a comment you added to anyone's talk page 3 times. Jimbo's talk page is just like anyone else's. Sure it get's more exposure, but is a user talk page. While user's don't own their talk pages, it has always been understood that they may erase any comment added there, including warnings. Edit warring with them to keep your comment up will lead to a block no matter who you are, or who they are. I'm sorry if reality isn't as interesting to you all as "censorship" by shadow governments is ...
communicat
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 8th August 2011, 7:40pm) *

QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 10:33am) *

Since the Soviets were in on the crime and had been shortly before busy mass-murdering thousands of Polish officers and intellectuals by shooting them in the back of the head, their betrayal is of the sort that occurs among drug cartels or other criminals. Say, of the sort who've robbed a bank and shot tellers and guards, or taken hostages for money and executed civilians, and then had one faction of their own turn on them, to get their half of the money, or control of turf, or for some other selfish reason that violates "honor among thieves." I suppose you can see why the West doesn't shed many tears for the shock of Stalin at finding out he'd been "played" by Hitler. yak.gif yecch.gif Poor Stalin. I'd post my photo of the world's smallest violin, except I can't get up enough enthusiasm even to do that.

The "Soviet viewpoint"??? Please.

Your post is incoherent. Can't make head or tail of what the fug you're trying to say. You seem not even to have read the article in question. Jeez, what next. Typical wikipedian comedian.
radek
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 12:48pm) *

Never mind the semantics. Whether it's bias through omission or bias through deletion, it still amounts essentially to the same thing: suppression of information, otherwise known as "censorship". In the case of the former, it's systemic and nobody at WP has the will or the inclination to do anything about it; in the case of the latter, it's deliberate and when done in bad faith it's gross abuse, which happens to be the norm as far I and many other former WP editors are concerned.

Ah yes, the article on Western Betrayal. Which was supposed to be an article on the presence of perception of betrayal - not whether or not it actually happened - in Eastern Europe and turned it into... not sure what to call it, under the strange title " Controversial command decisions, World War II ", sourced mostly from your own wacky website (for those who don't feel like reading too much - basically Mr. communicat is of the opinion that US and Britain "betrayed" the Soviet Union as early as 1941 and conspired to get Hitler and Stalin to fight each other). This was actually quite a trick (those folks who like to mess with Wikipedia should pay attention) - you managed to delete one article which you didn't like and at the same time create a whole new article as a vehicle for your website, all in one fell swoop. It was these kinds of constant not-so-sneaky tricks that kept you in trouble.

And then it was YOU who for some reason kept dragging others to ANI, AE and other drama boards and tried the Ottava "plz ban all those who disagree with me, ok thanks" strategy only to have it backfire. How many times did you request an ArbCom case before you actually got one? Three or four? And then for some strange reason every person who you managed to piss off and whose time you wasted by filing spurious reports on them showed up, said "yup, ban him", and the ArbCom dutifully banned you.

There are easy ArbCom cases and there are hard ones. There are ones they get right and ones they get wrong. This one was such a no-brainer that I'm not surprised they picked it up (eventually), as it most definitely made them look productive. And I'm not even surprised that they got it right.

The only sense you're a victim here is like a person who tries to stick up a grocery store, then immediately goes to the police station to file charges against the clerk for resisting the robbery.
Sxeptomaniac
Reading between the lines, communicat's posts here scream "fringe lunatic", not "reasonable critic".

Reasonable critics do not jump straight to "censorship" because they couldn't get their personal viewpoint shoved into WP, and don't attempt to reframe simple bias as intentional censorship. That they imply it's some kind of universal WP conspiracy to hide "the truth" strongly indicates a fringe viewpoint not actually backed up by evidence.

We are talking military history buffs, not religious fanatics, after all. Anyone really into history is going to read a lot of less-than-flattering things about their country's involvement in war. While some are going to cling to particular beliefs, many history buffs love studying different aspects of the story. A reasonable editor probably would have some difficulty, but they'd probably find at least a few allies along the way.
communicat
QUOTE(radek @ Mon 8th August 2011, 9:54pm) *

QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 12:48pm) *

Ah yes, the article on Western Betrayal. Which was supposed to be an article on the presence of perception of betrayal - not whether or not it actually happened - in Eastern Europe and turned it into... not sure what to call it, under the strange title " Controversial command decisions, World War II ", sourced mostly from your own wacky website (for those who don't feel like reading too much - basically Mr. communicat is of the opinion that US and Britain "betrayed" the Soviet Union as early as 1941 and conspired to get Hitler and Stalin to fight each other). This was actually quite a trick (those folks who like to mess with Wikipedia should pay attention) - you managed to delete one article which you didn't like and at the same time create a whole new article as a vehicle for your website, all in one fell swoop. It was these kinds of constant not-so-sneaky tricks that kept you in trouble.

And then it was YOU who for some reason kept dragging others to ANI, AE and other drama boards and tried the Ottava "plz ban all those who disagree with me, ok thanks" strategy only to have it backfire. How many times did you request an ArbCom case before you actually got one? Three or four? And then for some strange reason every person who you managed to piss off and whose time you wasted by filing spurious reports on them showed up, said "yup, ban him", and the ArbCom dutifully banned you.

There are easy ArbCom cases and there are hard ones. There are ones they get right and ones they get wrong. This one was such a no-brainer that I'm not surprised they picked it up (eventually), as it most definitely made them look productive. And I'm not even surprised that they got it right.

The only sense you're a victim here is like a person who tries to stick up a grocery store, then immediately goes to the police station to file charges against the clerk for resisting the robbery.

You really are a shithead, and like all shitheads you resort to attacking the messenger when you don't like the message. The message here is: why don't you just fix that crappy article? Oh, and by the way, you misrepresent entirely what my "wacky website" is really about. Try reading it some time when you're not too preoccupied with Russophobia, talking self-righteous crap, and shooting messengers.
communicat
QUOTE(Sxeptomaniac @ Mon 8th August 2011, 10:21pm) *

Reading between the lines, communicat's posts here scream "fringe lunatic", not "reasonable critic".

Reasonable critics do not jump straight to "censorship" because they couldn't get their personal viewpoint shoved into WP, and don't attempt to reframe simple bias as intentional censorship. That they imply it's some kind of universal WP conspiracy to hide "the truth" strongly indicates a fringe viewpoint not actually backed up by evidence.

We are talking military history buffs, not religious fanatics, after all. Anyone really into history is going to read a lot of less-than-flattering things about their country's involvement in war. While some are going to cling to particular beliefs, many history buffs love studying different aspects of the story. A reasonable editor probably would have some difficulty, but they'd probably find at least a few allies along the way.

Ah! Surprise, surprise! Here we have yet another deviationist shooter-of-messengers. Never mind "fringe lunatics" and all the rest. Why not just apply your mind to the message and forget the messenger for a while? The message here being that WP's World War II article relies on about 400 conservative mainstream Western accounts of the war, without reference to any non-Western (or even Western) accounts that deviate from the mainstream Anglo-American POV. So what do you have to say about that evidence, Mr Military History Buff?
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 9:11pm) *

QUOTE(Sxeptomaniac @ Mon 8th August 2011, 10:21pm) *

Ah! Surprise, surprise! Here we have yet another deviationist shooter-of-messengers. Never mind "fringe lunatics" and all the rest. Why not just apply your mind to the message and forget the messenger for a while? The message here being that WP's World War II article relies on about 400 conservative mainstream Western accounts of the war, without reference to any non-Western (or even Western) accounts that deviate from the mainstream Anglo-American POV. So what do you have to say about that evidence, Mr Military History Buff?

When you show up to a party in a clown costume you can't expect people to treat you as anything but a clown.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Thu 4th August 2011, 6:10pm) *

You're lost in a time-warp, pal. But before you find your way back to the Dark Ages, where you belong, take a look at Wikipedia's stated NPOV policy. It says that a range of viewpoints must be incorporated in any given article, including minority viewpoints. That rule is rarely if ever properly applied. Views that deviate from the "mainstream" are invariably reverted. In other words, censorship. And don't forget, what might be considered a "fringe" view in America may well be a mainstream view in other parts of the world. So who's to dictate what is and what is not "fringe"? I'll tell you who: certain heavily-biased cabalistic retards who pass themselves off as "editors". Maybe you're one of them?

Wikipedia also has a policy on FRINGE topics, like the conspiracy theories you apparently promote regarding 9/11. Fringe topics are not treated like just any other view point. Of course, you'll say this is exactly how they censor your cherished ideas. Regarding your cultural relatively argument the English language Wikipedia can only even try to represent what is mainstream in the English speaking world I'm afraid.

And, I'm from the Dark Ages because I'm not a libertarian jack-off? Technology is great, but some of the trolls that have found a second life online are not. Oh and Wikipedia has tons of problems, it's just that the ones you are crying about aren't on the list. Sorry.
Zoloft
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 1:47pm) *

<snicker-snack> Oh, and by the way, you misrepresent entirely what my "wacky website" is really about. Try reading it some time when you're not too preoccupied with Russophobia, talking self-righteous crap, and shooting messengers.

I read great bloody chunks of it.

My review:

Bielle
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 1:47pm) *

<snicker-snack> Oh, and by the way, you misrepresent entirely what my "wacky website" is really about. Try reading it some time when you're not too preoccupied with Russophobia, talking self-righteous crap, and shooting messengers.

White on black: angry male with non-mainstream ideas. (If I find evidence to the contrary, I will let you know.) The symbolism is overwhelmed by this truism. You don't have to read a word to know that much.
Sxeptomaniac
QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 2:11pm) *

I yield to your devastating argument; it *must* be censorship. rolleyes.gif

Note that you've just fully outed yourself as a fringe lunatic, as you've just admitted you've been pushing non-mainstream theories. For it to get no mention in WP at all, it's way, way out there. It really isn't hard to get something into WP; all you need is a halfway decent source. If you got nowhere, then "deviate from the mainstream" is code for "I'm the only one who believes this."

Call me what you want, but right now I'm judging you to be on the crazy scale right below the guy who was out to prove the Rotary is a front for Mason world-domination, but a bit crazier than the one out to prove Amish/Old Order Mennonites are evil. Like both of them, you immediately discount those who disagree with you with an unusual label; "deviationist" is a new one, I'll give you that.

BTW, I never said I was a military history buff. I tend to prefer the big picture as far as history goes. However, I've worked with a few different people who primarily do military history on WP, and they have generally been pretty open people. If you'd gotten into trouble in certain areas related to religion or nationalism, I'd be more inclined to question my first impression of you, but you pretty much keep verifying that first impression.
timbo
>>basically Mr. communicat is of the opinion that US and Britain "betrayed" the Soviet Union as early as 1941 and conspired to get Hitler and Stalin to fight each other.

"Betrayed" is polemic language, but other than that this is actually a more or less standard left wing interpretation of the political situation. It's actually very much in the mainstream of discourse on the topic, not tinfoil hat brigade by any stretch — maybe even a majority view in academia.

t
radek
QUOTE(timbo @ Mon 8th August 2011, 11:28pm) *

>>basically Mr. communicat is of the opinion that US and Britain "betrayed" the Soviet Union as early as 1941 and conspired to get Hitler and Stalin to fight each other.

"Betrayed" is polemic language, but other than that this is actually a more or less standard left wing interpretation of the political situation. It's actually very much in the mainstream of discourse on the topic, not tinfoil hat brigade by any stretch — maybe even a majority view in academia.

t

No it's not Carrite, though I can see why you would think it is.
communicat
QUOTE(timbo @ Tue 9th August 2011, 6:28am) *

t

My point exactly. "Fringe" and "mainstream" are subjective concepts and they depend for their definition on demographic location, and where you are standing at any given time in relation to the subject. So what gives some politically-biased WP editing cabals the "right" to ignore NPOV and to determine on the basis of their own personal political beliefs what is and what is not to be censored / deleted / reverted on the basis of alleged "political POV-pushing"? The rules are quite clear, but their implementation is highly questionable, and it has brought WP into disrepute, especially in academia.
communicat
QUOTE(Sxeptomaniac @ Tue 9th August 2011, 3:35am) *

QUOTE(communicat @ Mon 8th August 2011, 2:11pm) *

I yield to your devastating argument; it *must* be censorship. rolleyes.gif

Note that you've just fully outed yourself as a fringe lunatic, as you've just admitted you've been pushing non-mainstream theories. For it to get no mention in WP at all, it's way, way out there. It really isn't hard to get something into WP; all you need is a halfway decent source. If you got nowhere, then "deviate from the mainstream" is code for "I'm the only one who believes this."

Call me what you want, but right now I'm judging you to be on the crazy scale right below the guy who was out to prove the Rotary is a front for Mason world-domination, but a bit crazier than the one out to prove Amish/Old Order Mennonites are evil. Like both of them, you immediately discount those who disagree with you with an unusual label; "deviationist" is a new one, I'll give you that.

BTW, I never said I was a military history buff. I tend to prefer the big picture as far as history goes. However, I've worked with a few different people who primarily do military history on WP, and they have generally been pretty open people. If you'd gotten into trouble in certain areas related to religion or nationalism, I'd be more inclined to question my first impression of you, but you pretty much keep verifying that first impression.

Yawn. Jeez, what a bore. Don't you have anything thoughtful to say?
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Tue 9th August 2011, 11:36am) *

QUOTE(timbo @ Tue 9th August 2011, 6:28am) *

t

My point exactly. "Fringe" and "mainstream" are subjective concepts and they depend for their definition on demographic location, and where you are standing at any given time in relation to the subject. So what gives some politically-biased WP editing cabals the "right" to ignore NPOV and to determine on the basis of their own personal political beliefs what is and what is not to be censored / deleted / reverted on the basis of alleged "political POV-pushing"? The rules are quite clear, but their implementation is highly questionable, and it has brought WP into disrepute, especially in academia.

HA. That's a humorous thought. Someone who links to a truther website complaining about how wikipedia censors their truther views talks about "disrepute ... in academia." Wonderful. BTW, I already answered your cultural relativism argument. It's the English Language Wikipedia and it necessarily has a bias towards what is mainstream in the English speaking world. Nothing novel about that at all.
communicat
I'll start a new topic specifically to edify Jagardu about the "English" wikipedia. Thanks Jagardu for providing the motivation. Much obliged.
communicat
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Tue 9th August 2011, 12:23am) *

Wikipedia also has a policy on FRINGE topics, like the conspiracy theories you apparently promote regarding 9/11. Fringe topics are not treated like just any other view point. Of course, you'll say this is exactly how they censor your cherished ideas. Regarding your cultural relatively argument the English language Wikipedia can only even try to represent what is mainstream in the English speaking world I'm afraid.

And, I'm from the Dark Ages because I'm not a libertarian jack-off? Technology is great, but some of the trolls that have found a second life online are not. Oh and Wikipedia has tons of problems, it's just that the ones you are crying about aren't on the list. Sorry.

BTW, you almost got it right about the "cultural relativism" part. What I'm actually talking about is cultural imperialism. The remainder of your posting does not merit a thoughtful response.
communicat
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Tue 9th August 2011, 12:23am) *

Incidentally, according to one reliable poll, 68 percent of Americans believe the intelligence services had prior warning about 9/11 but did nothing to stop it. I'd call that pretty much a "mainstream" view, wouldn't you? No, of course not. Note that the title of the linked article you've referred to ends in a question mark. In other words, the author is not telling people what to think, but rather what to think about. Which is apparently irrelevant in your instance. You might not be a "libertarian jack-off", but you sure seem to be a mindless jerk-off of some kind. Have a good day.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Wed 10th August 2011, 2:32pm) *

I'll start a new topic specifically to edify Jagardu about the "English" wikipedia. Thanks Jagardu for providing the motivation. Much obliged.

Well I'm really looking forward to this. Before you start though you might want to consider the fact that Wikipedia is a crowd-sourced project, and the crowd is by its nature English speaking on en-Wiki. Beyond this it is by and large composed of native English speakers. It is a simple reality that such a crowd will be biased in the ways that native English speakers are. By the way, I have never said that I like this bias or that this bias is good, I only point out that it is a reality of the type of project we're dealing with. Anyway sorry for butting in. You were about to whine about something when I interrupted ... please proceed.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(communicat @ Wed 10th August 2011, 7:56am) *

BTW, you almost got it right about the "cultural relativism" part. What I'm actually talking about is cultural imperialism. The remainder of your posting does not merit a thoughtful response.

Cultural imperialism. Hmmm. That's what communists call it when third world countries begin to embrace capitalism, right? Or even when they start to embrace the free market, while keeping their government totalitarian, ala China?

You'll have to define your terms. I suppose when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, it wasn't "imperialism" since it was the USSR. Had the US done it instead at the time, it would have been. Eh? This is one of those things where the action doesn't matter, so muich as who does it.
KD Tries Again
Just a few points.

The distinction between mainstream and fringe is not subjective. It might be a close call in a minority of cases, but it is just not some kind of matter of personal preference across the whole range of topics and disciplines. On most topics, informed consensus exists.

WP rules about incorporating minority viewpoints must be read alongside WP:UNDUE. A minority viewpoint, no matter how passionately held, should not get the same weight as an overall consensus.

Some articles lack balance or comprehensive scope not because of censorship but because of what editors choose to contribute. For years (literally), people have been swinging by the Philosophy discussion page claiming that it is biased toward Western Philosophy. Yes it is, but as long-suffering editors point out, the reason is that nobody has contributed substantive content on Eastern Philosophy - not that the latter is being deleted or censored.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.