Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tired of being an unpaid WP volunteer?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
communicat
Given that so many WP "volunteer" editors/admins are obviously working fulltime at WP, and given that they can't surely all be rich kids, I wonder who pays their bills? No, I'm not talking about editors paid by PR agencies to promote something or other in the corporate sector. Everybody knows about them. I'm talking instead about certain very obviously fulltime editors/admins who're very actively engaged in certain high-profile military-political and military history topics. We'll never know; it's top secret. But use your imagination, and if that fails, try common sense.

Conspiracy theory? Of course; but it's no less suasive than some of the drivel that finds its way into the fairly tale world of WP (and sometimes even into WR, come to think of it.)

A couple of years ago, US Special Operations Command launched a campaign to recruit civilian psychological warfare operatives who would be "controlled by managers reporting to SOCOM based in US regional command HQs around the world - managers holding US Top Secret/Secure Compartmented Information clearances, with "extensive public diplomacy, journalism, and media-relations skills". http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/so...ops_against_uk/

USSOCOM’s Joint Military Information Support Command (JMISC), in "emphasizing culturally-attuned international engagement", spoke of orchestrating a 24/7 multi-media campaign formatted to the cultures and languages of relevant audiences, to provide "an alternative to the extremist ideology for global audiences (in) a tough, entrenched war of ideas."
http://armed-services.senate.gov/statemnt/...%2003-04-08.pdf
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Tue 16th August 2011, 2:01pm) *

Given that so many WP "volunteer" editors/admins are obviously working fulltime at WP, and given that they can't surely all be rich kids, I wonder who pays their bills? No, I'm not talking about editors paid by PR agencies to promote something or other in the corporate sector. Everybody knows about them. I'm talking instead about certain very obviously fulltime editors/admins who're very actively engaged in certain high-profile military-political and military history topics. We'll never know; it's top secret. But use your imagination, and if that fails, try common sense.

Conspiracy theory? Of course; but it's no less suasive than some of the drivel that finds its way into the fairly tale world of WP (and sometimes even into WR, come to think of it.)

A couple of years ago, US Special Operations Command launched a campaign to recruit civilian psychological warfare operatives who would be "controlled by managers reporting to SOCOM based in US regional command HQs around the world - managers holding US Top Secret/Secure Compartmented Information clearances, with "extensive public diplomacy, journalism, and media-relations skills". http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/so...ops_against_uk/

USSOCOM’s Joint Military Information Support Command (JMISC), in "emphasizing culturally-attuned international engagement", spoke of orchestrating a 24/7 multi-media campaign formatted to the cultures and languages of relevant audiences, to provide "an alternative to the extremist ideology for global audiences (in) a tough, entrenched war of ideas."

There should be a special section in the annex for conspiracy theories. Communicat should then be given command of that vessel and it should then be put out to sea.
communicat
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Tue 16th August 2011, 4:26pm) *

There should be a special section in the annex for conspiracy theories. Communicat should then be given command of that vessel and it should then be put out to sea.

Nobody's forcing you to read my postings. Leave it to the adults.
Vigilant
QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Tue 16th August 2011, 2:26pm) *

Could we set it alight, as a measure of respect, surely, prior to its maiden voyage?
Jagärdu
QUOTE(communicat @ Tue 16th August 2011, 4:54pm) *

Nobody's forcing you to read my postings. Leave it to the adults.

Nobody's forcing YOU to read my ... oh wait I see what you're doing. You almost tricked me into responding like a child. Oh man I should have seen that coming. Good thing I'm almost an adult. So when I finally become an adult do I start understanding conspiracy theories, like just after I become a fiscal conservative, or is it like before that and stuff?

QUOTE(Vigilant @ Tue 16th August 2011, 6:11pm) *

Could we set it alight, as a measure of respect, surely, prior to its maiden voyage?

Well that would be fun. Communicat can roast marshmallows the whole time and sing some of those old timey truther folk anthems I've been hearing all about.
It's the blimp, Frank
No need to be so snide, Communicat is on the right track. I remember a similar topic coming up before at the Wikipedia Review, so I searched for it and found it.
Silver seren
I remember a news article a while back that was discussing how a US military agency was actually giving some of their personnel the specific task of editing Wikipedia articles in relation to their organizations and articles on events they have created.
Sololol
QUOTE(communicat @ Tue 16th August 2011, 10:01am) *

Would the government/military need to do this? The DoD issues press reports and statements all the time. They get picked up by Wikipedia as RS.

Maybe they do but NGOs have generally proven more meddlesome.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Wed 17th August 2011, 4:08am) *

No need to be so snide, Communicat is on the right track. I remember a similar topic coming up before at the Wikipedia Review, so I searched for it and found it.

The right track to where? That's not exactly a bustling thread you linked to Frank. Who are these editors who we are supposed to suspect of being government operatives? What are the relevant military history topics, and why do they care about them? My grandmother hailed from behind the iron curtain. She managed to get out after her kids (one of my parents among them) did and received asylum in a Western European nation. When we were kids she would worry about us all the time, because, heaven for bid us running into communist spies who wanted to hurt us. She didn't just see communist spies in strangers, but in everything. A farm animal, for instance, could be a communist spy. The fact is that if you see conspirators surrounding you at every turn, then you see conspirators surrounding you at every turn. Who are we, mere mortals, to figure out if those conspirators are actually just milk cows?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.