Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raisin Bran
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
The current article about Raisin Bran is a disgrace, a minefield of "citation needed" templates.

Somebody tell me with a straight face that this article wouldn't be vastly improved by sitting down a team of PR personnel from Kellogg's, General Mills, and Ralcorp, and asking them to create the best possible, "neutral" point-of-view article about raisin bran. I challenge you.
Somey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 18th August 2011, 12:58am) *
Somebody tell me with a straight face that this article wouldn't be vastly improved by sitting down a team of PR personnel from Kellogg's, General Mills, and Ralcorp, and asking them to create the best possible, "neutral" point-of-view article about raisin bran. I challenge you.

This article wouldn't be vastly improved by sitting down a team of... oh dang, I started laughing. This is really hard! unhappy.gif

Anyway, you're right, that really is pretty bad... Of course, anybody with taste and large amounts of cash has long since switched to the Post™ Great Grains family of breakfast cereal products. They don't have their own article, but Honey Bunches of Oats (T-H-L-K-D) does, and that's not so good either, TBH.

Meanwhile, the article on Fruity Pebbles (T-H-L-K-D) is quite extensive, containing this unintentionally hilarious description of their TV ad campaign:
The commercials would have a typical skit and plot. Fred Flintstone would be eating some pebbles while Barney Rubble would want some as well and so Barney would either disguise himself or distract Fred from the Pebbles using various means. While Fred is distracted, Barney would eat some Pebbles but Fred would find out about Barney's lies and angry about his breakfast taken he would normally yell in anger, "Barney! My Pebbles!" Barney would then make a pun and run off, and Fred would give chase. It was only during a Christmas commercial where Fred by the urging of Santa Claus forgave Barney for stealing the Pebbles and agreed to share them.

I remember that Christmas... I think I got a box of Cheerios™ that year, but my memory isn't what it used to be.
NuclearWarfare
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 18th August 2011, 6:13am) *
Of course, anybody with taste and large amounts of cash has long since switched to the Post™ Great Grains family of breakfast cereal products.

Is that the one with Banana Nut Crunch and Blueberry Morning? If so, I'm glad to hear that other people here have such good taste.
Zoloft
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 18th August 2011, 7:46am) *

Of course, anybody with taste and large amounts of cash has long since switched to the Post™ Great Grains family of breakfast cereal products.

Is that the one with Banana Nut Crunch and Blueberry Morning? If so, I'm glad to hear that other people here have such good taste.

I am bowled over by the comments in this thread.
communicat
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 18th August 2011, 7:58am) *

The current article about Raisin Bran is a disgrace, a minefield of "citation needed" templates.

The esteemed topic-starter here is the very same guy who's recently been preaching to me about all the "very intelligent" folk at WR, whose valuable "conversations" he lambasted me for "interrupting". But, IMHO, anyone who starts a thread about raisin bran deserves the username Raisin Brain.
thekohser
QUOTE(communicat @ Thu 18th August 2011, 3:51pm) *

But, IMHO, anyone who starts a thread about raisin bran deserves the username Raisin Brain.

Sorry that you can't wrap your brain around the fact that Kellogg's brand Raisin Bran alone accounts for about $115 million per year in sales. That's about 4 or 5 times the annual budget of the Wikimedia Foundation, so in terms of scale, this is important.
Vigilant
QUOTE(communicat @ Thu 18th August 2011, 7:51pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 18th August 2011, 7:58am) *

The esteemed topic-starter here is the very same guy who's recently been preaching to me about all the "very intelligent" folk at WR, whose valuable "conversations" he lambasted me for "interrupting". But, IMHO, anyone who starts a thread about raisin bran deserves the username Raisin Brain.

Dear lord,

When will middle school be in session again?
It cannot come too soon.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 18th August 2011, 7:46am) *

Those sound like names for SlimVirgin alternate accounts.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 18th August 2011, 2:13am) *

Meanwhile, the article on Fruity Pebbles (T-H-L-K-D) is quite extensive

Yeah, but the photo looks unappetizing. yak.gif
Kevin
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 19th August 2011, 9:53am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 18th August 2011, 2:13am) *

Meanwhile, the article on Fruity Pebbles (T-H-L-K-D) is quite extensive

Ugh. Is that the before or after photo?
The Joy
If anyone takes these articles to AFD, will the nominator be called a cereal killer?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 18th August 2011, 6:18pm) *

If anyone takes these articles to AFD, will the nominator be called a cereal killer?

ohmy.gif dry.gif yak.gif yecch.gif yak.gif yecch.gif wacko.gif
Somey
I'll admit, it's a fairly trivial subject, even for a WR thread (although Greg is right about the sales figures - breakfast food is a huge business, even in Outer Mongolia.)

But let's not jump to conclusions, OK? Every once in a while, someone will post something about an entire category/class of articles that are simply not worth putting into an encyclopedia unless it can be done right. My point was that many of WP's articles about pre-processed breakfast cereals, and to some extent processed mass-market food products in general, are in terrible shape - structurally inconsistent, poorly written, full of largely-worthless trivia and nostalgia about old TV ad campaigns, and so on.

Most people are going to see these and think, why would someone put these articles in an encyclopedia? It might even dawn on many of those people that Wikipedia isn't really an encyclopedia at all, and this is a large part of why that is - at a certain level of "worthiness," information is all but dumped into articles in a haphazard fashion by whoever happens to come along. I suppose that's fine if you're into that sort of thing, but if WP is all we're going to have encyclopedia-wise in a few years, maybe not so much.

So sure, I think threads like this should be quite welcome - they're illustrative of a real problem that probably exists for all sorts of topics. I remember a while back, we were discussing articles about music synthesizers, for example... same basic problem there.
Detective
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 18th August 2011, 11:52pm) *

Those sound like names for SlimVirgin alternate accounts.
Good one! laugh.gif

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 19th August 2011, 12:53am) *

Take the photo to IfD as a copyright infringement. (I assume the very distinctive look of the cereal is copyrightable. biggrin.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.