Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Image deletion follies
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
EricBarbour
I have just received another of their smug little "you can't answer us" email notifications.

This time, Russavia and Ron Jones want to delete an image I posted more than three years ago,
and at the explicit and personal direction of the image's author. Because, of course, some asshole
deleted the Retarded Animal Babies article in 2008, because it was "Newgrounds cruft".

Dear EricBarbour,

The Wikipedia page "User talk:EricBarbour" has been changed on
26 August 2011 by Russavia, with the edit summary: Notification: speedy
deletion nomination of [[File:AnimalBabies.jpg]]. ([[WP:TW|TW]])

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=440790961
for all changes since your last visit. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:EricBarbour for the current
revision.

To contact the editor, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Russavia

Note that additional changes to the page "User talk:EricBarbour" will
not result in any further notifications, until you have logged in and
visited the page.

Your friendly Wikipedia notification system
--
This email notification feature was enabled on English Wikipedia in May
2011 - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Email_notification. If you
would like to switch off your notifications, visit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Preferences

Feedback and further assistance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents

As usual, any attempt to leave a message will likely be reverted, because they don't like me.

As usual, Russavia and Jones, being the smug little man-boy-things they are, don't know
or care about the past history of that image. Nor do they have any idea what the actual
copyright history is. They don't care, nobody cares. It's "process".

And the icing on the cake is the picture of that Jimbo-gobbler Steve Walling, at the top of
every damned en-WP page today. Dunno about you but I'd really like to break his glasses.
Silver seren
Do you have proof that can be given to OTRS that you got the copyright holder's permission?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Fri 26th August 2011, 2:31pm) *

Do you have proof that can be given to OTRS that you got the copyright holder's permission?

I can do better---I can get the creator and copyright owner himself to contact them.
But of course, he tried that in the past---and was ignored.

See the list of deleted images on my old talkpage?

We went thru this crap before.....they ignored him every time.

Silver seren
I'll make them listen. Give me the chance to do so.
jayvdb
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 26th August 2011, 9:45pm) *

I can do better---I can get the creator and copyright owner himself to contact them.

I see one old OTRS ticket, 2008021110022197, and he wasn't ignored there. Were there other attempts to do the OTRS paperwork, under a different ticket?
Silver seren
QUOTE(jayvdb @ Sat 27th August 2011, 6:56pm) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 26th August 2011, 9:45pm) *

I see one old OTRS ticket, 2008021110022197, and he wasn't ignored there. Were there other attempts to do the OTRS paperwork, under a different ticket?

If there was an old OTRS ticket already, that should have been good enough. Why wasn't it attached to the file?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sat 27th August 2011, 1:47pm) *

If there was an old OTRS ticket already, that should have been good enough. Why wasn't it attached to the file?

He was not told about OTRS. He was given an email address.
He sent a message, and NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. So he gave up.

I did not find out about OTRS until long afterwards.

Seeing the problem yet??? They make the system obscure. Then they blame the complainant
for not "understanding the system". Sound familiar? Ever seen the movie called Brazil?
timbo
The image permissions situation is the single most fucked up thing about WP. The system is arcane, the upload pages don't instruct what IS permissible and do not include a myriad of templates for legitimate copyright clear material, and many of the people guarding the gate are prime specimens of Bureaucratus Assholius Deletioni.

I have had more frustration with file uploading than any other aspect of my WP experience. By a factor of seven.

Less problem in the last year when I learned the templates and started using them:

{{PD-1923}}

{{PD-Pre1973}}

Life is better now.

t
russavia
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 27th August 2011, 3:40am) *

As usual, Russavia and Jones, being the smug little man-boy-things they are, don't know
or care about the past history of that image. Nor do they have any idea what the actual
copyright history is. They don't care, nobody cares. It's "process".

Eric, instead of bad mouthing myself like a 2chan wannabe on WR, take note of the following.

I am contactable via email, using both the wikipedia email function, and if you look at my talk page my email is also there. And if you aren't able to work out the concept of how to use email, then there is also a talk page.

But seeing as you were able to post your inciteful (sic) repartee here on the Review, my stance on animal experimentation has changed, for we finally have proof that monkeys really can be trained to do even the most simple of tasks. Bravo, my boy, you did it! Here have a Image

Also Eric, I had a look at your userpage, and saw you are supposedly an expert on vacuum tubes. That's brilliant, would you recommend this vacuum tube? Or is it simpler to stick to being a wanker? I look forward to hearing your advice, because you're the expert...on both counts.
Zoloft
QUOTE(russavia @ Sun 28th August 2011, 1:48am) *
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 27th August 2011, 3:40am) *
As usual, Russavia and Jones, being the smug little man-boy-things they are, don't know or care about the past history of that image. Nor do they have any idea what the actual copyright history is. They don't care, nobody cares. It's "process".
Eric, instead of bad mouthing myself like a 2chan wannabe on WR, take note of the following.

I am contactable via email, using both the wikipedia email function, and if you look at my talk page my email is also there. And if you aren't able to work out the concept of how to use email, then there is also a talk page.

But seeing as you were able to post your inciteful (sic) repartee here on the Review, my stance on animal experimentation has changed, for we finally have proof that monkeys really can be trained to do even the most simple of tasks. Bravo, my boy, you did it! Here have a Image

Also Eric, I had a look at your userpage, and saw you are supposedly an expert on vacuum tubes. That's brilliant, would you recommend this vacuum tube? Or is it simpler to stick to being a wanker? I look forward to hearing your advice, because you're the expert...on both counts.

Now that's the sort of response to criticism I'd like to put out in public for everyone to see.

Not.

Do you realize you come off as far more childish than any of your possible critics?

How can such a response be satisfying at all to you? I just don't get it.
lilburne
QUOTE(russavia @ Sun 28th August 2011, 9:48am) *

would you recommend this vacuum tube? Or is it simpler to stick to being a wanker? I look forward to hearing your advice.

Try not to be envious.
thekohser
QUOTE(timbo @ Sun 28th August 2011, 1:22am) *

... a myriad of templates ...

Or better, "myriad templates".

QUOTE(russavia @ Sun 28th August 2011, 4:48am) *

Eric, instead of bad mouthing myself like ...

Or better, "Eric, instead of badmouthing me like ..."
EricBarbour
Thanks for helping to prove my point, Russavia! Gosh, I'm flattered! yak.gif
jayvdb
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 28th August 2011, 4:37am) *

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Sat 27th August 2011, 1:47pm) *

He was not told about OTRS. He was given an email address.
He sent a message, and NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. So he gave up.

I did not find out about OTRS until long afterwards.

Seeing the problem yet??? They make the system obscure. Then they blame the complainant
for not "understanding the system". Sound familiar? Ever seen the movie called Brazil?

He did receive a response from OTRS. It is extremely rare for an email to OTRS to go unanswered.
MZMcBride
QUOTE(jayvdb @ Mon 29th August 2011, 8:34am) *
He did receive a response from OTRS. It is extremely rare for an email to OTRS to go unanswered.
It is? I thought it happened fairly regularly when people locked tickets to themselves and then went AWOL.
Silver seren
Well, the image should be safe now. Feel free to let me know if there's any other issues with images.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.