Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Current events on Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
Once again, Wikipedia thinks it is a "news" site.

2011_Reno_Air_Races_crash (T-H-L-K-D)

The bitching, and the attempted deleting, was immediate.

And a successful racing pilot, with a 30-plus-year career, dies in this tragic accident.
And Wikipedia makes him into "that guy who killed a buncha people in Reno".

Jimmy_Leeward (T-H-L-K-D)

Idiots.
Silver seren
I saw this coming too. dry.gif

At least the article on Jimmy Leeward isn't that bad. It does include other info about him besides the crash.
thekohser
Why do the Wikipediots maintain the WP:BLP1E rule, if they don't give a shit about it?
melloden
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 17th September 2011, 9:12pm) *

Why do the Wikipediots maintain the WP:BLP1E rule, if they don't give a shit about it?

It keeps the deletionists happy.
EricBarbour
Thanks to the Reno crash, we have another example of why Wikipedia gets so much undeserved and unearned positive publicity. Because, as Greg and others here keep saying, "journalism" is a joke nowadays.

A Reuters wire report posted today:
sent out a distress call before his sleek silver jet plunged nose-down
laugh.gifImage
EricBarbour
Lulz........ angry.gif

At least someone saw this thread and made Leeward's bio acceptable.
But until he was killed, he evidently was "not notable" according to the Nerd Patrol.

That's why I think Wikipedia is in its terminal decline---it's become very reactionary,
and only creates bios when people end up in the news. (Or if some insane football
fan wants to generate 40,000 stubs about obscure football players.)
lilburne
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 19th September 2011, 1:55am) *

Would have been more amusing if he'd suggested that James Gosling was the real target, or that java had been used to run the engine management system.
Jagärdu
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 17th September 2011, 9:12pm) *

Uhm ... you might have missed the fact that this guy is not a "living person" and therefore BLP1E isn't exactly relevant. That said I agree with the criticism of Wikipedians trying to be journalists and all that.
thekohser
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 18th September 2011, 8:55pm) *

If only they could have refrained from using the word "scum", I'll bet that edit could have avoided the ClueBot and stood up to scrutiny on Wikipedia for an hour or two.

QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Mon 19th September 2011, 8:24am) *

...this guy is not a "living person" and therefore BLP1E isn't exactly relevant...

Doh! Good call. Once you're dead, Wikipedia owes you no special respect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.