Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swedish silent films
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
A Swedish art society has produced three short silent films, all about Wikipedia. Each ends with a stark closing statement, which for the English-speaking crowd here, I have done my best to translate for you.

The first film is about an encounter in the library:

Closing caption reads: A married woman might ask a lonely male librarian for proof that he's actually won a Nobel prize, like he's claimed. He uses Wikipedia's "Create a book" print feature to create a convincing hard-bound book that supports his false claim, which he had edited into Wikipedia.

The second film is about an incident in the classroom:

Closing caption reads: Catching Wikipedia plagiarism is a useful way for a lesbian teacher to single out the tallest, most attractive blonde girl in the class, with a threat to fail her in the course if she doesn't submit to the teacher. Indeed, an entire lecture may be built around the plagiarism incident to "heal" the wounded and vulnerable teenager, after which she might be invited to an off-campus cup of cinnamon chai to discuss a softball league.

The third film is a noir perspective on the elderly in modern society:

Closing caption reads: Grandpa is a pedophile, but little Rolf is old enough to get away to safety. Grandpa is not as interested in young girls like Trina, so it's another reluctant afternoon for the old man editing Wikipedia's article about Bacha bazi.
thekohser
Okay, okay... it's not the work of a Swedish art society. It's funnier -- it's the work of an organized bunch of Swedish Wikipediots.
Ottava
That pretty much summarizes my view of who edits Wikipedia. smile.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 2:41pm) *

I'm surprised you are not more angry about this. They're making a series of jokes about Wikipedia
being misused for extremely disgusting reasons.
Zoloft
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 7:11am) *
A Swedish art society has produced three short silent films, all about Wikipedia. Each ends with a stark closing statement, which for the English-speaking crowd here, I have done my best to translate for you.

The first film is about an encounter in the library:
<snappi>
Closing caption reads: A married woman might ask a lonely male librarian for proof that he's actually won a Nobel prize, like he's claimed. He uses Wikipedia's "Create a book" print feature to create a convincing hard-bound book that supports his false claim, which he had edited into Wikipedia.

I'm sure you meant to say:
While learning about something, write about it on Wikipedia too. Save time for the next one.
The second film is about an incident in the classroom:
<snappi>
Closing caption reads: Catching Wikipedia plagiarism is a useful way for a lesbian teacher to single out the tallest, most attractive blonde girl in the class, with a threat to fail her in the course if she doesn't submit to the teacher. Indeed, an entire lecture may be built around the plagiarism incident to "heal" the wounded and vulnerable teenager, after which she might be invited to an off-campus cup of cinnamon chai to discuss a softball league.

Oh, I know that's just a typo. You certainly would have really said:
Wikipedia can be a good tool to teach about criticism and how information is added. Learn more about how Wikipedia works.
The third film is a noir perspective on the elderly in modern society:
<snappi>
Closing caption reads: Grandpa is a pedophile, but little Rolf is old enough to get away to safety. Grandpa is not as interested in young girls like Trina, so it's another reluctant afternoon for the old man editing Wikipedia's article about Bacha bazi.

You mean of course:
Share what you know. Wikipedia is read by hundreds of thousands of people every day. Maybe your grandchildren too.
Detective
QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 10:41pm) *

Says someone with over 20,000 edits to Wikipedia. laugh.gif
lilburne
Super. As they are CC-BY-SA go replace the Swedish with the English 'translation'.
Ottava
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 6:37pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 2:41pm) *

I'm surprised you are not more angry about this. They're making a series of jokes about Wikipedia
being misused for extremely disgusting reasons.

Have you not noticed that I've been blocked on the Wikis related to me complaining about each of those types of misuses by individuals? smile.gif (And I'm referring to Thekohser's version, which is spot on for the reality that exists)

Detective

Says someone with over 20,000 edits to Wikipedia. laugh.gif

Yes, 20k edits of being unable to collaborate with such people. I'm a banned user, remember?
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 10:11am) *

Swedish girl-on-girl action? I'm lovin' it! evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 23rd September 2011, 10:41am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd September 2011, 10:11am) *

Swedish girl-on-girl action? I'm lovin' it! evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif

I knew you would, Horsey. (Zoloft's a no-fun wet blanket, isn't he?)
Detective
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 23rd September 2011, 3:41pm) *

Oh well, whatever it takes to keep a horse happy:

Lost City Of 25,000 Man-Hungry Swedish Lesbians Grinds China’s Internet To A Halt.

That's easier than sending him a bushel of oats. (And yes, "Man-Hungry Swedish Lesbians" does seem to be an oxymoron.)
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Detective @ Fri 23rd September 2011, 6:46pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 23rd September 2011, 3:41pm) *

Oh well, whatever it takes to keep a horse happy:

Lost City Of 25,000 Man-Hungry Swedish Lesbians Grinds China’s Internet To A Halt.

That's easier than sending him a bushel of oats. (And yes, "Man-Hungry Swedish Lesbians" does seem to be an oxymoron.)

You fool! All lesbians are "man-hungry" and the hungriest happen to be Swedish ones... I read it on Wikipedia, so it must be true.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.