Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia's women
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
Interesting study just released.
carbuncle
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 7th November 2011, 12:21pm) *

I'll wait for the second draft. In one of the first sections, they state that according to a survey, 8% of female respondents state that they are lesbians (and 24% are "non-heterosexual", but that includes lesbians). A couple of sentences later, they say:
Wikipedia is not attracting a representative population of female contributors, as lesbians account for 24% of the contributors while only compromising between 1.5% and 4.1% of the female population.
See also
* proofreading.
thekohser
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 7th November 2011, 7:43am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 7th November 2011, 12:21pm) *

I'll wait for the second draft. In one of the first sections, they state that according to a survey, 8% of female respondents state that they are lesbians (and 24% are "non-heterosexual", but that includes lesbians). A couple of sentences later, they say:
Wikipedia is not attracting a representative population of female contributors, as lesbians account for 24% of the contributors while only compromising between 1.5% and 4.1% of the female population.
See also
* proofreading.

The first draft will be perfect for Examiner, then.
A Horse With No Name
Eh, phooey - another bait and switch trick! hrmph.gif

Call me when Lara comes back in a tight t-shirt! evilgrin.gif
Kelly Martin
Someone really need to teach these people some statistical method before they publish another turd dropping like that one.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 7th November 2011, 3:44pm) *

Someone really need to teach these people some statistical method before they publish another turd dropping like that one.

Indeed, it's completely unreadable.

The obvious conclusion is that most of the women posting on WP are actually men.

Comments?
EricBarbour
The article is drivel, but some of the stats and charts are okay.

I'd still like to know why Sue Gardner isn't being pilloried in public for this, given that she's been trying to encourage female participation since she showed up in mid-2008.
(Not that she could do anything about it, of course.)
Silver seren
Can someone explain how the "gendered language" parts of it work exactly? Considering that for the one, just as many women didn't use such language, it seems like there is little to no correlation to...whatever the heck they were trying to correlate there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.