Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A new book about WP!
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
EricBarbour
Well, now I don't have to cite any badly-written articles, that will just be attacked by Wiki-dicks for being "anecdotal" and therefore trivial.

Because someone else has written such a book already.

(They're blogging examples.)
Detective
Sorry, that won't wash. It's a self-published book (at least I can't see any publisher's name). Thus by definition it's not a reliable source.
melloden
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 13th November 2011, 6:54am) *

Well, now I don't have to cite any badly-written articles, that will just be attacked by Wiki-dicks for being "anecdotal" and therefore trivial.

Because someone else has written such a book already.

(They're blogging examples.)

I was literally just about to post the same thing.

Where did you find this? I saw a link to it in the morning news.
mbz1
QUOTE(melloden @ Mon 14th November 2011, 9:35pm) *

Where did you find this? I saw a link to it in the morning news.

It is at Amazons and even has three reviews.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Detective @ Mon 14th November 2011, 1:29pm) *

Sorry, that won't wash. It's a self-published book (at least I can't see any publisher's name). Thus by definition it's not a reliable source.

laugh.gif You utter fool.......it doesn't matter if it's "reliable" or not. In the real world, the
"reliability" of a source means shit. If people buy this book, it will become "notable".
Popularity wins, "accuracy" is usually unimportant.

Millions of Bibles are sold every year. I don't see anyone effectively challenging it for
its "reliability". Plenty has been written about that before.
To no avail. Same for all the quack diets, quack medical books, UFO books, conspiracy books etc.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 14th November 2011, 9:25pm) *

QUOTE(Detective @ Mon 14th November 2011, 1:29pm) *

laugh.gif You utter fool.......it doesn't matter if it's "reliable" or not. In the real world, the
"reliability" of a source means shit. If people buy this book, it will become "notable".

Millions of Bibles are sold every year. I don't see anyone effectively challenging it for
its "reliability". Plenty has been written about that before.
To no avail. Same for all the quack diets, quack medical books, UFO books, conspiracy books etc.

Please, please, please tell me I'm just clueless to some kind of irony in this statement. The distinction between publication by a reputable publishing business with "skin in the game" and self publication is all that keeps the "suicide note app" off the Kindle. The basic protection provided by an editor who knows literature or the relevant discipline/industry making a business decision favoring some writings over others is at least as important as peer review.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 14th November 2011, 6:38pm) *

Please, please, please tell me I'm just clueless to some kind of irony in this statement.

Haven't you heard? "Irony" is my middle name. tongue.gif
greyed.out.fields
They spelled "Chekhov" as "Chekov".
thekohser
I didn't find the free preview of the book to be laugh-out-loud funny. I wouldn't purchase the full book, that's for sure.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th November 2011, 3:25pm) *

I didn't find the free preview of the book to be laugh-out-loud funny. I wouldn't purchase the full book, that's for sure.

Agree, and thought it was the kind of thing Wikipedians might even like. I couldn't find any of the edits, which were the sort of inept thing the vandal hunters are most likely to catch. So they will use it to show that Wikipedia is always improving, and quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.